Pattaya tunnel - unveiling confirmed for August 25th!

snoop1130

Pattaya tunnel - unveiling confirmed for August 25th!

20882651_1962671510670977_948213222206345167_n.jpg

After rumors that the Central Pattaya road tunnel was once again to be delayed comes confirmation that it will open as planned on August 25th.

The government communications minister will be at the resort to do the proud unveiling. A schedule for the big day was announced by Rao Rak Pattaya today.

Akhom Termphitayaphaisit will arrive at 2pm and after speeches will finally unveil the tunnel at 3.10pm local time.

The 800 million baht plus project has been dogged by delays and repairs but now looks set to finally open to traffic.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/welovepattaya58/posts/1962671594004302

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-8-14

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...unless you get trapped in the tunnel when it gets flooded.

I think it is likely to happen. The violent thunderstorms bring plenty of water from September through November. That will be the real test for the tunnel.

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

This is just a smokescreen to be transmitted live around the whole Kingdom to divert the public's attention away from the real event of the day - Yinglucks freedom :passifier:

Don't you mean the 20th Miss Tiffany final?

They need to get it opened to coincide with the commencement of road works on the main artery into Pattaya required by the burying underground of electrical cables.... currently above ground, in some locations, only just.

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

This has probably been covered before, but............ what is the tunnel intended to achieve?

A serious question because I really can't how it will benefit the flow of traffic

It will be a great improvement over the traffic flow during the 3 years of construction and hence commendable.

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It will be a great improvement over the traffic flow during the 3 years of construction and hence commendable.

....and compared to just before work started......?

I can see that it will get more traffic, more quickly to the northbound traffic lights at Pattaya Tai and the southbound lights at the 7 intersection....... beyond that?

12 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

I think it is likely to happen. The violent thunderstorms bring plenty of water from September through November. That will be the real test for the tunnel.

If it does flood then, the official response will be it is only because of the unsually heavy rains, the ones that fall each year at that time.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

I can see that it will get more traffic, more quickly to the northbound traffic lights at Pattaya Tai and the southbound lights at the 7 intersection....... beyond that?

Help gridlock Pattaya central road..!!

2 hours ago, 1duckyboy said:

If it does flood then, the official response will be it is only because of the unsually heavy rains, the ones that fall each year at that time.

How right you are!

Of course the annual rainy season is to blame, never the architects. 

I won't be holding my breath for this to open on 25th. If it's ready now, why wait? 

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Oh probably no impact whatsoever, just less queuing at Klang and worse at Tai and Nua.

17 hours ago, Chivas said:

hard to believe that some still continue to joke the tunnel will flood despite being told multiple times the reason why that is impossible

My sentiments exactly .. The sayers of nay have yet to be convinced by the power of prayer here .. And in the days leading up to the great occasion the power of prayer will be ramped up not unlike the national grid does with the electric when everyone puts the kettle on during H/T in the soccer .. The spike will be noticeable and in view of that I have no doubt everything will be alright on the night .. But it might help if the rain stayed away also or at least until after the event .. :sad:

On 8/15/2017 at 8:19 AM, Jip99 said:

Beyond the flood or not flood debate, right now that is ALL that the tunnel will offer; about 8 to 12 seconds quicker transit between the Thai and Nua traffic lights. Week days should be better, weekends marginal but for national holiday weekends not a ha'pennyworth of difference.

A good time to assess the full efficacy of the tunnel will be some time in 2018 when the Highway 7 extensions and bypasses are all up and running and most traffic to/from Bangkok and the eastern seaboards industrial estate suburbs to/from south of (roughly) Ban Amphur will not be trucking up and down the bit of Sukhumvit that passes Pattaya.

On a brighter note, I do predict that the traffic lights at Theprassit/Sukhumvit/Khao Talo will still be an enduring nightmare.

Edited by NanLaew

I'd be curious if the end result is any noticeable difference. It seemed to small to me to make a difference, but I do not drive so might be missing something.

on the plus side, I don't drive so I don't worry about traffic or flooding