British woman tourist dies in Songkhla hotel fall

webfact

British woman tourist dies in Songkhla hotel fall

By The Nation

SONGKHLA: -- A 24-year-old British tourist fell to her death from a hotel in downtown Songkhla’s Hat Yai district early on Friday morning.

Following the 5.30am report of a woman’s fatal fall, police and rescue workers rushed to the scene in an alley between two hotels on Sanehanusourn Road. They found the woman’s body with a broken neck and other broken bones caused by the severe impact of the fall, said police.

Police later identified the woman as British national Maxine Missick, 23 who had checked in on August 21 to the 31st floor of one of the hotels. Her locked room showed no sign of having been ransacked. A window was left open. 

Police believe that foul play is unlikely. Their initial suspicion was that the woman either accidentally fell or committed suicide.

Police are waiting for a detailed autopsy report from Hat Yai Hospital before drawing final conclusions.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324852

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-25

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police are waiting for a detailed autopsy report from Hat Yai Hospital before drawing final conclusions.

I have always wondered how an autopsy can determine between suicide and an accidental fall.

Providing there are no traces of drugs in their system

Edited by Maejo Man

9 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

I have always wondered how an autopsy can determine between suicide and an accidental fall.

Providing there are no traces of drugs in their system

True, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an accidental fall and suicide, but they could possibly find something like defensive wounds or skin under the fingernails indicating there was a physical struggle, and that the cause of death might by assisted suicide aka murder.

Just now, zaphod reborn said:

True, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an accidental fall and suicide, but they could possibly find something like defensive wounds or skin under the fingernails indicating there was a physical struggle, and that the cause of death might by assisted suicide aka murder.

And I wonder how many times a dead body is hauled up to the 10th floor in an effort to hide the real cause and place and time of death.

Rather cruel to be so blunt if the victims' loved ones are reading in, but I'd want my loved ones to get a reality check if they come to repatriate my remains.  And a real investigation if she was my loved one.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

And I wonder how many times a dead body is hauled up to the 10th floor in an effort to hide the real cause and place and time of death.

Rather cruel to be so blunt if the victims' loved ones are reading in, but I'd want my loved ones to get a reality check if they come to repatriate my remains.  And a real investigation if she was my loved one.

If I was a killer the last thing I would do is walk around with a dead body on my shoulder especially the risk of getting caught on CCTV

And yes some do work, all the ones in our condo on every floor do work.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

there is no disguising a body that has dropped many floors.......it generally smashes to pieces

2 minutes ago, coconuthead said:

there is no disguising a body that has dropped many floors.......it generally smashes to pieces

But you can disguise a beating by dropping the body from a high floor.  I'm not saying that happened here. But it's one of many possibilities that should be investigated.

The first sudden death I ever dealt with was a jumper from 67 feet (30 m) up a multi storey car park. Every bone in his body was broken except his left arm. Concrete is a bugger to land on. 

I'm surprised there aren't more falls from balconies, they are made exactly the right height to accidentally bend and fall from. Problem is, if they made them higher they would cost more and spoil the lovely views of the sewage flowing out to sea.

9 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

If I was a killer the last thing I would do is walk around with a dead body on my shoulder especially the risk of getting caught on CCTV

And yes some do work, all the ones in our condo on every floor do work.

Yes, much better to walk them up while they are still alive.

If I would get rid of someone in Thailand, I would have pushed her or him from the balcony....
Reminds me why I'm living on the ground floor with pool access...

Well the pool ain't deep enough, even Thai kids don't drown in it...

18 hours ago, impulse said:

It hardly matters once you are dead, your business with the world has finished.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

But your loved ones still have a lot to deal with.

Their business with you is also finished with your death, just a piece of earth that once pranced around and is returned to the globe, you can use the earth for a while but you have to give it back. Revenge, justice, wont bring you back.

Just now, soalbundy said:

Their business with you is also finished with your death, just a piece of earth that once pranced around and is returned to the globe, you can use the earth for a while but you have to give it back. Revenge, justice, wont bring you back.

No, but it may prevent distributing part (all?) of your estate the the one who killed you...  Or stop a murderer from killing again.  Or highlight a dangerous situation like a low balcony railing or toxic pesticide.

'I DON'T BELIEVE IT'

Mystery surrounds death of Brit tourist in Thailand who plunged 31 floors from hotel balcony as pals demand police probe

By Corey Charlton

Maxine Missick's body was found Friday morning by a passing motorcyclist after she fell from a hotel in Hat Yai in southern Thailand.

bb.jpg

Thai cops say Maxine Missick's death is not suspicious but her pals are demanding they investigate further //Picture: The SUN

A BRITISH tourist has been found dead after a mysterious hotel fall in Thailand.

Maxine Missick, 23, checked into a room on the 31st floor of the hotel in Hat Yai, southern Thailand on August 21.

But her body was found at 5.30am last Friday morning by a passing motorcyclist who heard her body hit the ground - three days before she was due to return to the UK.

Maxine, who was studying at Keele University in Stoke on Trent., Staffordshire, was later pronounced dead after suffering a suspected neck, back and other major injuries in the fall.

Police ruled out foul play as they said her room showed no signs of a robbery and believe she committed suicide or accidentally fell.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4339800/mystery-surrounds-death-of-brit-tourist-in-thailand-who-plunged-31-floors-from-hotel-balcony-as-pals-demand-police-probe/

-- The SUN 2017-08-29

The poor, poor girl, I hope her family gets some answers. There can be nothing worse than not knowing.

In all my years of living, I've never come across a place like this where people fall to their death from tall buildings.  You just don't read about it in other countries. It's not even a local issue, it's a nationwide occurrence. It's usually foreigners too. These types of incidents happen so often they hardly break headline news. One can only assume the safety railings are failing somehow. Maybe they're lower than in other countries. Whatever the cause, something doesn't add up.

RIP

Stubby

On 8/25/2017 at 10:27 PM, Classic Ray said:

The first sudden death I ever dealt with was a jumper from 67 feet (30 m) up a multi storey car park. Every bone in his body was broken except his left arm. Concrete is a bugger to land on. 

I'm surprised there aren't more falls from balconies, they are made exactly the right height to accidentally bend and fall from. Problem is, if they made them higher they would cost more and spoil the lovely views of the sewage flowing out to sea.

I question if the railings heights are  unusually low compared to Western countries.

"Problem is, if they made them higher they would cost more and spoil the lovely views of the sewage flowing out to sea." ?

This lady appeared to have a lot of positive things going for her but, of course,  who knows what thoughts were circulating in her head 

Edited by watcharacters