Credit card requiring pin.

Apologies if this has been covered previously but which Thai bank offers a credit card that uses a pin security system as in pin has to be entered when used. I have banked with SCB and Bangkok Bank and they certainly do not require.

thanks

I can be more than what the credit card issuer prefers...the merchant can also set up his Point of Service machines to not require a PIN entry.  

And if the card issuer has not made the PIN entry mandatory and the merchant does not want/require PIN entry, then when the card is stuck in the POS machine for payment the card and machine agree no PIN is required, signature only, and the transaction completes.   There is a reason most Thai merchant/checkout do not have PIN entry pads close to where the customers could use them...that's because the Thai merchants are fine with Signature Only transactions. 

None of my U.S. chipped credit cards mandate a PIN entry for a purchase.  And as you know, Thai merchants don't require PIN entry...signature is all they want.  And on some small purchases of less than approx Bt1000 (varies a little between Visa and Mastercard) a PIN entry or signature is not required...I know Tops Markets use this small amount approach as purchase at  Tops Market approx weekly....you don't enter a PIN or signature a receipt.

I am with Bkk Bank...KBank and TMB....all use pin no's.

You have "credit" cards with all three (not talking debt cards) and every time you make a "purchase" you "must" enter a PIN?

All debit and credit cards can have a PIN but whether a PIN entry is required for a "purchase" can be optional depending on the issuing bank and merchant.

Thanks Pib for your comments.

While I do reside here I travel 6-7 months a year within Asia so constantly using my card and I just hate the idea of loosing it and then not only getting wiped out but also getting stranded (my next trip is Pakistan) simply due to a lack of a PIN number. I have been back to both Bangkok Bank and SCB here in Chiang Mai and requested a PIN but was told by each they do not issue or to quote 'not required' except for the obvious ATM use.

During a recent trip to Kuching and KL I was told by more than one merchant thant some systems there will not accept a card without a PIN which makes absolute sense but I didn't come across that situation.

Cheops, I would love to have additional security and will look into Samsung Pay, thanks for suggesting.

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I am with Bkk Bank...KBank and TMB....all use pin no's.

It did take some time, but now my KTC card uses a pin for every payment or ATM use, an lo and behold my picture is also on the card.

I had to contact the credit card company for both, pin an pic to get what I wanted.

I bank with SCB and they need a PIN to withdraw money from an ATM, even SCB Debit/Credit cards, (I have two)so I don't know what you are talking about.  I used my SCB Debit in the SCB Branch in Phnom Penh and it required a PIN as well.

Edited by TunnelRat69

14 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I bank with SCB and they need a PIN to withdraw money from an ATM, even SCB Debit/Credit cards, (I have two)so I don't know what you are talking about.  I used my SCB Debit in the SCB Branch in Phnom Penh and it required a PIN as well.

When using a debit  or credit card in an ATM you always need to use a PIN; however, for a "purchase" it may not be required for a debit or credit card (unless you have a Union Pay card)...all depends on the card issuing bank and/or merchant require to complete the purchase transaction.

Just now, Pib said:

When using a debit  or credit card in an ATM you always need to use a PIN; however, for a "purchase" it may not be required for a debit or credit card (unless you have a Union Pay card)...all depends on the card issuing bank and/or merchant require to complete the purchase transaction.

Gottit - whenever I make a purchase with either one I have to sign the receipt, no PIN required.

Edited by TunnelRat69

44 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Thanks Pib for your comments.

While I do reside here I travel 6-7 months a year within Asia so constantly using my card and I just hate the idea of loosing it and then not only getting wiped out but also getting stranded (my next trip is Pakistan) simply due to a lack of a PIN number. I have been back to both Bangkok Bank and SCB here in Chiang Mai and requested a PIN but was told by each they do not issue or to quote 'not required' except for the obvious ATM use.

During a recent trip to Kuching and KL I was told by more than one merchant thant some systems there will not accept a card without a PIN which makes absolute sense but I didn't come across that situation.

Cheops, I would love to have additional security and will look into Samsung Pay, thanks for suggesting.

Fully understand.  Now, the UnionPay debit card requires a PIN for purchases  based on posts I've seen, but not many merchants in Thailand (or some other countries) accept UnionPay cards for purchases.  Same surely applies for Union Pay credit cards.  But this should give you the PIN capability you are looking for....but then again, if the merchant don't accept UnionPay cards you are SOL.

Well according to the below link Union Pay is accepted in 162 countries:

http://m.unionpayintl.com/en/serviceCenter/cardUsingInstructions/821.shtml

but doesn't mention how many merchants in any.

....and this explains how you can use the card without a PIN:

http://m.unionpayintl.com/en/serviceCenter/cardUsingInstructions/815.shtml

But I'll certainly look into and see how many outlets out there accept here in Asia.

thanks folks

Oh yea....UnionPay is accepted in Thailand..."some" Thailand merchants do accept it, but most don't.  So UnionPay can say their cards are accepted in Thailand.

Been quite a few ThaiVisa threads and many, many posts over the last year or so from disgruntled Bangkok Bank customers who got issued the new Bangkok Bank UnionPay cards and how few merchants accept them.   Bangkok Bank switched from Visa as their primary card to UnionPay about a year ago...actually it's a dual logo card of UnionPay and TPN.  TPN stands for Thai Payment Network which is jointly owned by Bangkok Bank and UnionPay.

Do a search on ThaiVisa regarding UnionPay....see the numerous bitches about the card when wanting to "purchase" something with a UnionPay card and how customers are going back to Bangkok Bank to get the Visa logo card.   Here's a starter ThaiVisa thread bitching about the new Bangkok Bank UnionPay debit card.

3 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Not sure if this helps; however, Kasikorn Bank on ChangKlan Road in Chiang Mai issued me a DEBIT card with a 6 -figure PIN for 150 baht. Expiry 2021.

21 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Not sure if this helps; however, Kasikorn Bank on ChangKlan Road in Chiang Mai issued me a DEBIT card with a 6 -figure PIN for 150 baht. Expiry 2021.

If this card has a compulsory use of PIN when making purchases then it most certainly would help and I don't have a problem with a debit card. I'll stop in tomorrow afternoon to follow up. Much appreciated.

----------------

This is the first time I have started a thread in this particular forum and I have to say have been mightily impressed with the detailed replies and I thank you.

I've been using my U.S. and Thai credit/debt cards in Thailand for almost a decade now.   I pay for store purchases with a card whenever I can which is the great majority of the time.  I have stood in Thai store checkout lines and watched hundreds, maybe a thousand or two people, pay with their credit/debit cards.  I can easily count on one hand only needing to use 1 or 2 of the fingers on that hand to count the number of times I've seen someone having to enter a PIN to compete the purchase.   

With the exception of the UnionPay card which requires a PIN to complete a store purchase and making the reminder that the UnionPay card is not widely accepted in Thai stores, I'm pretty sure you are going to have a hard time finding a Thai card (credit or debit) that requires a PIN to complete an in-store purchase; instead, only signature is required. 

Some Thai cards use a 4 digit PIN...some use a 6 digit PIN...all depends on what the bank requires PIN wise.   Recently (over the last few months) I got new "Visa" debit chipped cards from Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank....the Bangkok Bank Visa card uses a 4 digit PIN, but Krungsri Bank Visa card uses a 6 digit PIN (their older card only req'd a 4 digit PIN).

On 9/9/2017 at 9:08 PM, Pib said:

None of my U.S. chipped credit cards mandate a PIN entry for a purchase.  And as you know, Thai merchants don't require PIN entry...signature is all they want.  And on some small purchases of less than approx Bt1000 (varies a little between Visa and Mastercard) a PIN entry or signature is not required...I know Tops Markets use this small amount approach as purchase at  Tops Market approx weekly....you don't enter a PIN or signature a receipt.

I was invited to enter the PIN number when I made a payment to the Bangkok Rayong Hospital last week with my UK credit card - but I also then had to sign the slip!

Interested in your comment about small purchases less than 1,000 THB since this seems to be akin to the Contactless method of paying for transactions up to the equivalent of 40 USD, which seems to have caught on in a big way in the UK judging from my latest trip there a few months ago. You just hold the card up in front of a reader for a couple of seconds and that's it!

Yea, in Tops Market (and if I remember the amounts correctly) if you pay with a Visa card and the purchase is less than Bt700 you don't have to sign a receipt or enter PIN....just hand them you card...they insert the card to complete the transaction....you are done...they hand your card and receipt for your records back to you.    And for Mastercard it's Bt1000.   

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Cambodia...Anyone got an account with CPB ( Cambodia Public Bank) who issue lifestyle Visa Debit cards....but seem to be only any good in Town. Also they come with a 6 digit PIN number.I have a had an account for for about 25 years...since the bank opened but last used it back in the late 90s. Went over on a visa run last year and had it 're energised' ...still with $US 700 in it so no bad... plus got said new card and savings book.....                                                                                   Going back next week on a 90 day visa joli so will check out situation...Also will see if my Thai cards work in their ATMs...

Edited by Rinrada