Bangkok is one of the most dangerous cities to live in, study says

webfact

6 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

So much for you "I am Off, and out of this one." Old man! Yesterday I got stopped by the fat lazy cop at the check point in BKK for not having a licence plate on my NEW motorcycle....that the dealer told me is ok until they get it. While the police now like to change and make up their own laws, and issue a 1,000 baht fine(which I didn't pay, because I work with the government, so went to the police station and they were sorry and said that I should have told them at the start!). While at the same time the streets of BKK are a wash with Nigerians aggressively peddling drugs and harassing tourists......but then you wouldn't see that from Ayuttahya would you? 

There's a separate Nigerian thread, sir. It's good to have some Hi-So farang on this forum. 

3 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

So much for you "I am Off, and out of this one." Old man! Yesterday I got stopped by the fat lazy cop at the check point in BKK for not having a licence plate on my NEW motorcycle....that the dealer told me is ok until they get it. While the police now like to change and make up their own laws, and issue a 1,000 baht fine(which I didn't pay, because I work with the government, so went to the police station and they were sorry and said that I should have told them at the start!). While at the same time the streets of BKK are a wash with Nigerians aggressively peddling drugs and harassing tourists......but then you wouldn't see that from Ayuttahya would you? 

I am Sorry for your Trouble, and about the Nigerians, but let’s just say "More Nigerians" ... as I have met them before ... Like Years ago,..."Heyyy Monnn, A amm not here forrr the Sex, ... a am here for the Druggs" … or well something that they seem to think is Honorable, ? Like that ....  If it all is Upsetting to you, have you ever considered living somewhere else ??? … Still, you probably would NOT be able to “Work for the Government” there I guess.

Good luck with it, … Starting to enjoy Life !!! ??? (Without complaining about it ???) …as well, you really DO have this Opportunity to do this in Thailand (Enjoy Life, a LOT) if you play your cards Right ??? I think. …

5 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

I am Sorry for your Trouble, and about the Nigerians, but let’s just say "More Nigerians" ... as I have met them before ... Like Years ago,..."Heyyy Monnn, A amm not here forrr the Sex, ... a am here for the Druggs" … or well something that they seem to think is Honorable, ? Like that ....  If it all is Upsetting to you, have you ever considered living somewhere else ??? … Still, you probably would NOT be able to “Work for the Government” there I guess.

Good luck with it, … Starting to enjoy Life !!! ??? (Without complaining about it ???) …as well, you really DO have this Opportunity to do this in Thailand (Enjoy Life, a LOT) if you play your cards Right ??? I think. …

Might be new to this site, but am certainly not new to Thailand, or here working for with government because I couldn't live elsewhere. Actually the opposite, was posted here 5 years ago, not by choice. Not complaining about Thailand as I love it! But if you feel that the Police are, in general,  upstanding members of the Thai community, then maybe you are stuck in 1985 with your Rose Tinted Glasses.

19 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

Seems like the Thai Cops still have not lost their ability to spot some one that deserves a 1,000 Bart Fine either ??? ??? Har Har !!! … Only Kidding !!! ... I think that I better get off of here, before I get deleted or told to, .... Enjoy Life !!! Laugh at it !!! …  You NEVER have had such a Good Opportunity to !!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

Might be new to this site, but am certainly not new to Thailand, or here working for with government because I couldn't live elsewhere. Actually the opposite, was posted here 5 years ago, not by choice. Not complaining about Thailand as I love it! But if you feel that the Police are, in general,  upstanding members of the Thai community, then maybe you are stuck in 1985 with your Rose Tinted Glasses.

Thanks for the Discussion, I think that BKK is not that dangerous, as most people here say, and well, the cops are just the Cops. ...

Things are not getting much better with them anywhere, the Population pressure stepping up, as we slowly fill up the whole world, so that there is not spare room left ... and Human beings being Human beings, ... they all try to carve their Little Piece of the world out. ...

Yes the Rose coloured Glasses of the 80's ???  …  Well, I think that it is a LOT better here now !!! ... Like my stories of how safe I feel here, are from NOW, not the 80's ...

My 80's stories, go something like, so drunk that I nearly fell on the Policeman’s table in the Restaurant, and knocked their drinks over, …. And when they said "Hey Folang, do you know who we are" … I just said,  “Yes !!! Sure I do”, .... And staggered out of the open fronted place, and just managed to get on my Motorbike, and rode Home .. …  But well yes, No rose Glasses, I am 64 now, and have stopped drinking, even though I do live in Thailand !!! ... And well that REALLY has made it a MUCH better Place for me, … and well, I probably will live a bit longer now also …..

So Please excuse my Just trying to tell you about it, Enjoying Life, and not worrying about the cops or the other Dramas … that are just …. Human actions results of the environment, …. And just to be factored in ??? Within reason, …. If you actually want to Know about, and enjoy Life  

• Like 1

Errm scuse me old boy but you have a total of 12 posts nearly all today and your a long term resident "working for the government"

Bahahahaha [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

GOD I LOVE TV!
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Thanks for the Discussion, I think that BKK is not that dangerous, as most people here say, and well, the cops are just the Cops. ...

Things are not getting much better with them anywhere, the Population pressure stepping up, as we slowly fill up the whole world, so that there is not spare room left ... and Human beings being Human beings, ... they all try to carve their Little Piece of the world out. ...

Yes the Rose coloured Glasses of the 80's ???  …  Well, I think that it is a LOT better here now !!! ... Like my stories of how safe I feel here, are from NOW, not the 80's ...

My 80's stories, go something like, so drunk that I nearly fell on the Policeman’s table in the Restaurant, and knocked their drinks over, …. And when they said "Hey Folang, do you know who we are" … I just said,  “Yes !!! Sure I do”, .... And staggered out of the open fronted place, and just managed to get on my Motorbike, and rode Home .. …  But well yes, No rose Glasses, I am 64 now, and have stopped drinking, even though I do live in Thailand !!! ... And well that REALLY has made it a MUCH better Place for me, … and well, I probably will live a bit longer now also …..

So Please excuse my Just trying to tell you about it, Enjoying Life, and not worrying about the cops or the other Dramas … that are just …. Human actions results of the environment, …. And just to be factored in ??? Within reason, …. If you actually want to Know about, and enjoy Life  

My first experience of BKK was 2000, and I do seem to remember it being so much better....but maybe that was my own rose tinted glasses!, or young age!!! Now I still have zero time for 90% of the Bangkok Police, as I believe do most people. Can't fix years of corruption, until such time as they are paid proper salaries! They make up their own interpretation of the law to get paid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TimTang said:

If you're a millionaire it's highly unlikely you'll develop enemies. You're more likely to find new friends. 

Do you stay in thailand? Are you a millionaire? If so, I worry for your safety, given your thinking.

6 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Errm scuse me old boy but you have a total of 12 posts nearly all today and your a long term resident "working for the government"

Bahahahaha emoji16.pngemoji16.pngemoji16.png

GOD I LOVE TV!

We all started somewhere. I was here looking at the entertainment. And yes! I do work with the government.

12 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Bahahahaha emoji16.pngemoji16.pngemoji16.png

GOD I LOVE TV!

I didn't step off the plane and think "OMG.....I must look online for Thai Visa site!"

We all started somewhere. I was here looking at the entertainment. And yes! I do work with the government.
Getting suspended and coming back with a new nic is not a big deal.. However telling the cops you don't pay and then making them apologize to you at the station.. LMAO purrre gold!!

but hey its an annonamyse forum, as long as your having fun.

Peace

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

Getting suspended and coming back with a new nic is not a big deal.. However telling the cops you don't pay and then making them apologize to you at the station.. LMAO purrre gold!!

but hey its an annonamyse forum, as long as your having fun.

Peace

Read it 3 times, but still struggling with your dyslexia? Can you type again and use spell check? 

10 hours ago, garzhe said:

Im resident in Thailand and spend much time in Bangkok. I feel much safer walking around the back streets of Bangkok late at night than I do in any European or US capital city. Behave yourself and your unlikely to have a problem

Any? Really? You've spent time in them all then? It's not just about behaving oneself, their also talking health/infrastructure and are probably on the money.

Took till post #10 though, not bad.

5 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Clearly you cannot. 'Should of'...really??  Hahaha. Try 'Should have' next time.

Love it when the grammar Nazi's get it wrong themselves!

Yes, moronic indeed, but he's not the only one on this forum that thinks, should of, would of, could of, is English......you know who you are mate ! Can't say any more

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

Not on the facebook 24hr checking and reporting service to capture and jail all those who disagree with the p I hope

14 hours ago, midasthailand said:

I can't comment on digital, but health, infrastucture and personal safety are far better than my hometown of Sydney!

No shortage of excellent hospitals, many excellent dentists, world class orthopaedic surgeons.

BTS, MRT, ATM transfers to other people in different banks, excellent mobile coverage, malls, entertainment.

I have never felt threatened living in Bangkok and do not hesitate to go anywhere at any time of the day or night.

The same cannot be said for Sydney or any other Australian capital city.

As a Southern California resident you saved me a long comment. I share the same thoughts. I have never been confronted with "hey, where you from" here in the manner of Los Angeles ghettos. 

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's all in relativity of the matters, sure, if you go looking for troubles

in Bkk you'll find them, you'll find them in the most pious of cities for that

matter, living in BKK for over 30 years now, i have

seen very little evidences of deliberate violence, mostly accidental...  

I have a friend who lived in BK 50 years without incident, ran a business and no problem, but he always said trouble will find you if you look for it.

I'm not sure how BKK could have gotten such a bad rap! In the short 6-7 years I lived in BKK, I was only held up at gunpoint once, only witnessed one shooting, only saw the results of 3 stabbings and one other shooting, only saw 2 coups (those 6-7 years weren't consecutive), only saw 2 gang fights between technical school enemies, only saw 2 dead bodies floating in the khlongs, only one semi-riot (among hoodlums), only one year did I witness the city taken over by violent mobs of red-shirts and was within a block of dozens of killings during that time, saw the World Trade Center (now nice and politely renamed) and buildings at Victory Monument and Siam Center torched, witnessed buses, vans, and taxis driven by drunk or high drivers on multiple occasions, but on only one occasion did I see my friend's car totaled by one of those out of control maniacal bus drivers on a main avenue in the city, had burglars break in and steal from neighbors only one time each in the 3 different condos I lived in there, only one time did anybody jump from a very high floor in one of the condos I lived in, and only caught a pickpocket one measly time. There may have been more colorful moments, but that's all I recall at the moment.

Getting by with so few problems I attribute to nearly never going to bars or clubs, keeping off the streets past 11p.m. most of the time, keeping associations with "educated" people (businessmen, lawyers, judges, church people, devout Buddhists, academics, scientists, and the like) rather than the kind of company farang are commonly thought to keep. I enjoy life up north quite a bit better. I think the biggest problem I've had in my years here is trying to find creative ways to return kindnesses shown me on regular occasion, no violence, death, mayhem, petty crime, etc. Lanna culture seems to have had a lasting effect over the past hundred years, making the north quite different than the culture that took it over (annexed it) all those years ago. hmmm one glaring omission... driving up here is no better than BKK and maybe even worse?

• Thanks 1

any ranking that puts Amsterdam at the top of safe cities list and Bangkok at the top of dangerous cities is way, way, way off - I lived in Amsterdam for 12 years and had many, many safety issues (muggings, stabbing in a park, pickpockets, Balkan mafia dressed as police and shaking people down, etc) whereas nary a single problem in Bangkok. And dont get me started on the utter uselessness of Dutch police (here they can actually solve cases once motivated to do so). 

Edited by jaf3