Being Ignored - Do you say anything?

Neeranam

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

That's brightened up my day, having a stalker called George FmlesdaCosteedback. lol

What are you asking me to check btw?

Stalker, no wouldn't waste my time.

I'm not really trying to tell you you are wrong, just that you missed something along the way. Academically correct and practicality are different. You already got the point I think.

Check your profile and post activity. I couldn't find your story about being ignored until your reply to 123 in #post 250 yesterday, but I didn't look through 220 pages on this thread. Fifty two years old and born 1-1-'98, maybe 1-4-'65...  I will sign off. Best wishes & Cheers  G

• Birthday 01/01/1998

14 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I'm fairly sure adults that haven't noticed there are 52 weeks in a year can't be considered 'bright'. 

I have worked with some really intelligent Thais over the years. I've met some in lesser positions that are very bright, but I have also met many that are just plain dumb.

Saying all Thais are stupid is not accurate.

However I repeat none have any common sense or logic.

:thumbsup:

20 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Even highly proficient non-native speakers as the two you cited above encounter the brain freeze/does not compute/huh?what?/ 'I wasn't expectiing you to speak Thai so I wasn't even trying to understand what was coming out of your mouth' phenomena. Send Andrew Biggs an email and ask him yourself if you don't believe me.

You do it if you like. I have seen Joe Cummings and a friend who is almost as proficient interacting with Thais and there is no "brain freeze." They speak Thai as fluently as a native speaker and are understood just as well. :smile:

Edited by Ulysses G.

4 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

You do it if you like. I have seen Joe Cummings and a friend who is almost as proficient interacting with Thais and there is no "brain freeze." They speak Thai as fluently as a native speaker and are understood just as well. :smile:

Ulysses:

With all due respect, the fact that you have "seen" Joe Cummings interact with Thais and it appeared to you that the interaction was going smoothly, doesn't mean that Joe Cummings doesn't sometimes experience Thais who tense up or simply refuse to even listen to what he is saying because they're experiencing sensory dissonance between what their eyes are telling them (a non-Thai speaker) and the language which is coming out of his mouth (Thai). Countless posters have reported experiencing this (here and on other threads), and I don't think it is fair to write this off as always coming from people who just can't face the reality that their Thai is deficient.

If you followed me around with a hidden camera, you would see me interacting fluidly with countless Thais. For example, two weeks ago, I was down at the amphoe office for three successive days explaining a long and involved tabian ban and property rights history to a succession of police officers, and then a succession of district office officials, 90% of whom I had never interacted with before.  During these discussions, there was maybe only one or two times where there was a problem understanding one another.

But on the other hand, there is a gal at the local hardware store who refuses to comprehend me even though she has seen me interact smoothly with practically every other employee in the store, and has been told over and over again that I can speak Thai. How do you explain these inconsistencies, if you're going to chalk it up solely to the speaker's language skills?

In my opinion, there are virtually no non-native Thai speakers who have progressed beyond an intermediate level who haven't observed this pattern, and while extremely accomplished speakers, (and yes I do consider myself one), obviously encounter this problem less frequently, they still encounter it because the problem isn't always with the speaker, but sometimes with the listener.

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

<snip>

But on the other hand, there is a gal at the local hardware store who refuses to comprehend me even though she has seen me interact smoothly with practically every other employee in the store, and has been told over and over again that I can speak Thai. How do you explain these inconsistencies, if you're going to chalk it up solely to the speaker's language skills?

<snip2>

I agree -- it probably is not a matter of your language skills, just that she doesn't want to have anything to do with you and, as long as her co-workers are willing to take care of you, she figures she'll just ignore you and  you'll go interact with someone else.

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I agree -- it probably is not a matter of your language skills, just that she doesn't want to have anything to do with you and, as long as her co-workers are willing to take care of you, she figures she'll just ignore you and  you'll go interact with someone else.

Sounds a bit like you.....cheeky-smiling-smiley-emoticon.gif.121becc689864ac87bef2d09d695d2a9.gif

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Ulysses:

With all due respect, the fact that you have "seen" Joe Cummings interact with Thais and it appeared to you that the interaction was going smoothly, doesn't mean that Joe Cummings doesn't sometimes experience Thais who tense up or simply refuse to even listen to what he is saying because they're experiencing sensory dissonance between what their eyes are telling them (a non-Thai speaker) and the language which is coming out of his mouth (Thai). Countless posters have reported experiencing this (here and on other threads), and I don't think it is fair to write this off as always coming from people who just can't face the reality that their Thai is deficient.

If you followed me around with a hidden camera, you would see me interacting fluidly with countless Thais. For example, two weeks ago, I was down at the amphoe office for three successive days explaining a long and involved tabian ban and property rights history to a succession of police officers, and then a succession of district office officials, 90% of whom I had never interacted with before.  During these discussions, there was maybe only one or two times where there was a problem understanding one another.

In my opinion, there are virtually no non-native Thai speakers who have progressed beyond an intermediate level who haven't observed this pattern, and while extremely accomplished speakers, (and yes I do consider myself one), obviously encounter this problem less frequently, they still encounter it because the problem isn't always with the speaker, but sometimes with the listener.

I agree. I've a friend with Thai law degree and teaching law now, in Thai, who had many experiences such as mine. In fact, even more ridiculous.

20 hours ago, JLCrab said:

No -- he says that he is an extremely accomplished Thai speaker. I am not. I am just accomplished.

I'll admit "extremely" accomplished does sound a tad bit conceited which was not my intention. I was just trying to establish that people who are very proficient in the language still encounter this problem.

On 11/22/2017 at 1:02 PM, Gecko123 said:

Ulysses:

Can I use this as a quote please off TV. I think you explain the problem really well.

(The "rabbit in the headlights" from another post I have already made a note of.)

Cheers G

:thumbsup:

:wai:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:02 AM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I ended up telling my GF once to go sit down in the lobby while checking into an hotel,  because the check in/concierge lady would NOT make eye contact or speak to me. I told the lady I made the reservation, I'm paying for it. I am the customer, that's just a girl I'm bringing with me. I also have a rule if I am not offered service within about 10 minutes of being seated at a restaurant I just leave. 

I think I would be the opposite. I preferred the Thai lady to check in, I preferred Thai people to speak to her instead of me ( due to the almost certain chance of being misunderstood ), and if I am in a position of being ignored in a restaurant for some time despite waving at them, I just shout at them which has always worked. I also give them a piece of my mind, don't tip them anything and never go back there. However, that has happened to me so rarely in over 30 years that I can still remember each and every incident, and less than fingers on one hand. Perhaps it's something about the OP..........................?

BTW, if she's just a girl that you're bringing with you, wouldn't that indicate that she isn't your GF? If not, it's, IMO, disrespectful to her.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, Gecko123 said:

I'll admit "extremely" accomplished does sound a tad bit conceited which was not my intention. I was just trying to establish that people who are very proficient in the language still encounter this problem.

LOL. I was in the supermarket recently and asked for something in Thai and they understood me not. I went back to my residence and asked a friendly Thai there if they understood what I had said and they did not. I asked them to say it in Thai and they did so, to which I responded "but, that's what I said"! It's all in the tones and being hearing impaired ( old age ) doesn't help at all.

The rabbit in the headlights reaction is indeed a reality in some cases even when the farang speaks Thai well.But in the vast majority of cases when foreigners who think they speak good Thai fail to be understood the explanation is in fact that they don’t speak Thai as well as they think they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Today at our local Temple a elderly woman tried to converse

She asked in Thai can you speak Thai, I replied in my best Thai, I don't speak Thai, she then asked again and I replied again I don't speak Thai.......

She then informed me you are telling me you don't speak Thai, I am Talking to you in Khmer!

It does bug me.  I don't think it is deliberate, as I think they assume you can't speak Thai.  We are thus given the same status as mutes.  The one that really gets me is being at the front of a queue only to find the assistant gives precedence to the Thai that just moves straight to the counter.  And yes, it is almost as if they don't see you.

On 24/11/2017 at 1:39 PM, jayboy said:

The rabbit in the headlights reaction is indeed a reality in some cases even when the farang speaks Thai well.But in the vast majority of cases when foreigners who think they speak good Thai fail to be understood the explanation is in fact that they don’t speak Thai as well as they think they do.

Yup, but when the Thai behind  repeats what you just said we realize the matter is not so cut and dried.

Yup! When I try only with my wife to speak one or two words I’ve read in English phonetic print see looks bewildered as I repeat many times with slight variations until she asks me to describe what am I trying to say in Thai. When I convey this she says it in Thai with a slight tonal or inflection difference and laughs how bad my attempt was and tells me what I was saying is “not the same honey”.
No ability to extrapolate my attempt knowing I’m clueless to the nuances of the language. I learned there’s no hope for me speaking Thai when she told me “ba” was the word for jungle and I couldn’t enunciate it properly for her ear despite 10 attempts because there are six variations of the pronunciation that all mean something different.
Now I stick to learning what a few Thai words mean for common things when she speaks them and teaching her a little more English slowly. Over the years she’s progressed amazingly and picks up books and watches English tutorials with Thai and English speakers on YouTube on her own accord.

Yup! When I try only with my wife to speak one or two words I’ve read in English phonetic print see looks bewildered as I repeat many times with slight variations until she asks me to describe what am I trying to say in Thai. When I convey this she says it in Thai with a slight tonal or inflection difference and laughs how bad my attempt was and tells me what I was saying is “not the same honey”.
No ability to extrapolate my attempt knowing I’m clueless to the nuances of the language. I learned there’s no hope for me speaking Thai when she told me “ba” was the word for jungle and I couldn’t enunciate it properly for her ear despite 10 attempts because there are six variations of the pronunciation that all mean something different.
Now I stick to learning what a few Thai words mean for common things when she speaks them and teaching her a little more English slowly. Over the years she’s progressed amazingly and picks up books and watches English tutorials with Thai and English speakers on YouTube on her own accord.

I’m pretty much in the same boat as you !
I do find it extremely difficult and have concentrated more on improving her English.

Sometimes I feel as frustrated as the lady in this video !

1 hour ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Thai is not easy to learn and took me years -  persevere and you'll be OK.