Two Bangkok area nightclubs ordered shut for five years as drugs and underage drinkers found

rooster59

Two Bangkok area nightclubs ordered shut for five years as drugs and underage drinkers found

nightclub.JPG

Image: Daily News

Two well known night spots in the Samut Prakarn area south east of Bangkok have been ordered shut after raids in the early hours of this morning.

Bang Plee police along with Department of Provincial Administration officials and the district authorities turned the lights on and stopped the music at Shark Pub and The Cheek around 1.30am.

A lot of drugs and underage drinkers were found at both establishments that were ordered shut for five years.

At Shark Pub "ice" and ketamine was found on the floor, hidden in the toilets and secreted into wall cavities.

Though the place had a license 15 of the patrons were under 20 and 4 were under 17. Eight had no Thai ID cards with them. 

Twenty two tested positive for drugs. 

Some party goers fled through a back entrance but were rounded up.

The venue was hit with five charges including allowing drug taking and serving alcohol to under 20s.

At The Cheek they had no license to operate. There were 25 under 20s and three under 18s. Thirteen had no ID.

Nine tested positive for drugs - seven for taking ketamine and two for methamphetamine. 

Ketamine and drug taking equipment was found in the toilets. 

Among the charges facing the owners of The Cheek are selling alcohol out of hours and to under 20s and running illegal alcohol promotions. 

All those arrested were taken to Bang Plee police station for prosecution.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-18

I find it amazing that the police can order a place of business to be closed down for 5 years on a whim with no court appearance or anything within hours of an inspection.

Do the police even really have these powers ?

Licenses to sell alcohol are not granted by the police, it's literally nothing to do with the police at all.

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I find it amazing that the police can order a place of business to be closed down for 5 years on a whim with no court appearance or anything within hours of an inspection.

Licenses to sell alcohol are not granted by the police, it's literally nothing to do with the police at all.

We dont have  UK rules here, ya know

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

From what planet are you? Nothing to do with the police?

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So will these places be open again within a week or so under "new" management, as usually seems to be the result in these kinds of cases?

No one really expects that those two venues are going to sit there totally vacant and unused for 5 years, do they?

exactly. "new" management, with stripes no doubt

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Alcohol licenses are issued by the local government office, I know this for sure. The police are not involved in any way.

Selling alcohol to minor, people using drug, no valid license to operate a business and it the police isn't involved? 

They are there to do something about these issues.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Selling alcohol to minor, people using drug, no valid license to operate a business and it the police isn't involved? 

They are there to do something about these issues.

You're forgetting that we do have courts in Thailand, the police can't hand down sentences. This is what I'm querying.

There was no arrest, no trial, no sentence and no court involvement.

Maybe the police replaced the judicial system at some point over the last couple of years and I didn't notice.

Thai Logic:
How to stop corruption ??? 

Answer: Stop making and selling brown envelopes. Because if you ban brown envelopes it will be impossible to hand over brown envelopes to corrupt (police) officers.

44 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You're forgetting that we do have courts in Thailand, the police can't hand down sentences. This is what I'm querying.

There was no arrest, no trial, no sentence and no court involvement.

Maybe the police replaced the judicial system at some point over the last couple of years and I didn't notice.

There doesn't have to be a court ruling, because it's written in the law.

Happens the same all over Thailand, also in Pattaya.

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

Agreed. Until prosecuted in court it is suspicion even if it was fact such as under age and under influence. 

13 hours ago, natway09 said:

If you don't pay, you don't play.......... The police are the kangaroo court

correct  I would think they stop sending envelopes and along came the cops shut them down 2 weeks they be back in business New owners