Online critics of govt to face stricter monitoring: Prayut

webfact

Online critics of govt to face stricter monitoring: Prayut

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION 

9a6a3a65d98ab3ac7158100bafe14a46.jpeg

ONLINE CRITICS were warned to be careful what they say about the government’s performance, as Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday ordered all state officers to elevate their monitoring of Internet comments and enforce the laws relating to them.

They were told by Prayut to strictly enforce the new Computer Crime Bill, which punishes online dissemination of information “deemed controversial to national security”. The offence is punishable by fines of Bt 20,000–200,000 and/or up to 10 years’ imprisonment.

The bill also allows state officers to close websites deemed to have violated the law.

Prayut claimed that the decision relied on a report issued by King Prajadhipok’s Institute, which suggests that news headlines could mislead public understanding.

But the exact report was not presented when Prayut made his order to Cabinet during yesterday’s meeting.

“Sometimes, some bad guys need to be punished,” Prayut said at his weekly news briefing. “There are false facts and hate speech everywhere. We just want to keep society in order.”

Government Spokesperson Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd added that the premier had ordered all government agencies to pursue legal processes should they find any messages in social media that “infringe their rights”.

But they should focus on those attacking the government’s administration, not on political agendas, so not to politicise the monitoring agenda, Sansern added.

Prayut’s order came a few days after he criticised media speculation about his Cabinet reshuffle. “They should wait until an official announcement is made without guessing,” Prayut said, as quoted by Sansern.

Public attention has been paid to the list, with a focus on economy-related ministers and suggestions that there be a quota on the number of military generals in Prayut’s three-year-old junta government.

Since Prayut came in power in 2014, many people have been arrested for violating the Computer Crime Bill and either the defamation law or the harsh lese majeste law.

In 2015, a factory worker was arrested for breaking the law for sharing an infographic elaborating on an alleged government “network” related to the Rajbhakdi Royal Park corruption scandal.

In the same year, a Facebook page “We love Gen Prayut” was closed down with the page’s administration being legally pursued for content mocking the junta leader.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30332203

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-22

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I think they are doing an absolutely wonderful job ! :biggrin:

You beat me to it, but I just wanted to add that isn't he and his government an absolutely wonderful, professional, and caring organisation........

29 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Well, I knew this was coming. Dissent is building momentum so it has to be countered. 

Can’t wait for these elections in November next year :cheesy:

'Well if not November certainly early to mid 2019, anyway....'

I doubt we will fall under their watchful eyes, but who knows? As others demonstrated, use the devices they just don't get: sarcasm and irony. Possibility they will add volunteer thought police for expats who want a spiffy uniform and false feeling of importance to flag those expats who dare speak their minds

8 minutes ago, newcomer71 said:

It will not end well... I wrote it already and I did not change idea.

Dissent is mounting, and they WON'T leave the power.

Problem is, people here are their own worst enemies. They will spit feathers in private but as soon as Anybody Frightfully Important from Bangkok shows up at their town or village, there they will be, fawning, grovelling and looking for pats on the head. This is why I have more or less lost patience with them - 'Nobody else gives a crap so why should I?'

I bet some TV farangs are feeling quite nervous at this time.  Deport .... :clap2:
most of the relentless over the top junta bashers are not in Thailand but Cambodia and OS.

It's the dummy TV sheep living inside thailand borders and bashing that are at risk.

Why any foreigner living here would attack its military regime is a mystery. I guess the prospect of being a martyr must be appealing

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

most of the relentless over the top junta bashers are not in Thailand but Cambodia and OS.

It's the dummy TV sheep living inside thailand borders and bashing that are at risk.

Why any foreigner living here would attack its military regime is a mystery. I guess the prospect of being a martyr must be appealing

It is called 'having a conscience'.

41 minutes ago, bheard said:

I presume this stepped up vigilance will include politicians in his govt telling lies?

Politicians? There aren't any. Politicians ply their trade in proper governments . . . these gun-toting bully boys are an army, don't forget. But I still think he looks great in GOLD . . . an icon, almost.

Edited by Ossy
omission

26 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I bet some TV farangs are feeling quite nervous at this time.  Deport .... :clap2:

There will not be much of Thailand worth sticking around for anyway.  This is a smack the face to Abihist and good Thais anywhere.  We all pity you Steven.  You just do not understand basic freedoms. 

It is called 'having a conscience'.

it's called being an idiot. go read the OP again they are ramping up monitoring online bashing . your a foreigner and a guest. it has nothing to do with you

but go ahead, knock yourself out. Your PC has a firewall.. your safe [emoji16]

Just now, InMyShadow said:

it's called being an idiot. go read the OP again they are ramping up online bashing . your a foreigner and a guest. it has nothing to do with you

but go ahead, knock yourself out. Your PC has a firewall.. your safe emoji16.png

I have a daughter here. It has plenty to do with me.

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:
4 minutes ago, baboon said:
I have a daughter here. It has plenty to do with me.

gonna be hard on your daughter if you're deported. and why are you even here? surely the best future for your daughters education is NOT in Thailand

Why should I leave? I am not the one who sucks.

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

There will not be much of Thailand worth sticking around for anyway.  This is a smack the face to Abihist and good Thais anywhere.  We all pity you Steven.  You just do not understand basic freedoms. 

I understand most folks like peace and stability ... and you know Thailand has that now but if you let the reds & yellow shirts become more outspoken, start protests etc ... what do you think will happen   ?   back to the same old same old.

It's just a fact of life in Thailand and as much as you hate the Junta, at least they keep the fighting between each other at bay.

Just now, steven100 said:

I understand most folks like peace and stability ... and you know Thailand has that now but if you let the reds & yellow shirts become more outspoken, start protests etc ... what do you think will happen   ?   back to the same old same old.

It's just a fact of life in Thailand and as much as you hate the Junta, at least they keep the fighting between each other at bay.

That is an exaggeration.  Your fellow Thais are not a barbaric as you claim.  Of course there will be arguments, that is how you forge a nation.  That is how it becomes powerful and well governed.  Keeping a tight lid on it kills it.  Running away from debate only makes things worse for Thailand at home and abroad.