thoughts on storing petrol

mercman24

just gonna run this by you, was thinking of storing a proper container with couple of gallons of petrol on my balcony , was thinking in a bucket of water. just to save time and hassle going to the petrol station, well wat ya fink ??

Ill hazard a guess here and say you live in a condo.  Of which most condos dont even allow you to cook with a gas range.  This is partially to do with safety so the whole complex doesnt burn down or blow up should their be a gas leak due to a fault or some numpty mucking with gas lines/regulators.  

I would also guess that condo rules also prohibit the storage of any dangerous good...ie petrol.  Although I think it would be rather difficult to enforce this if tenants had say a few gallons of petrol in a 'jerry can' in the back of their car or boot/trunk.

I suppose the idea of putting your container in a bucket of water is to keep it cool in the hot season?  Or is your thinking along the lines of the water being a fire retartant factor?   Nonetheless a proper storage container by itself should be fine as long as the outside temperature doesnt case the container to swell and burst open.  Ideally in the shade and preferably inside a steel container.  

My main concern would be what acceptable risks are you willing to take.  Should your (possibly illegal) storage of fuel cause a condo fire...can you afford the liablity to pay for the damage?  

Why not check with security that manage the garage/parking area of your condo (If it has one) and see what storage facilities they may have for this purpose.

I've stored gasoline on my balcony but only for a couple of days when I had to drain the gas tank and it was either the balcony or in the car. If you're going to do it, buy a proper "jerry can" container like below (HomePro sells them for a few hundred Baht) that has the self venting design and keep it in the shade.

I wouldn't do it long term.

161971-zoom.jpg

Buy can

go to gas station

fill

haul to balcony

haul to bike when needed

take empty can back to balcony

ride bike.

Refill can some time.

Vs.

Stop by gas station and fill 

bike time-to-time.

#1 will save you considerable time and hassle

papa fink.

Edited by papa al

I have done similar. However I used a 20l can and filled it when refueling the car. I stored it at ground level out the back of the house. I'm thinking that after a few attempts you will get rumbled and told not to store petrol on your balcony. Also carrying the can home after a trip to the servo will get old quite soon.

Edited by VocalNeal