Vans cause of most accidents among public transport

rooster59

Vans cause of most accidents among public transport

van21.jpg

Most of the road accidents involving public transport which occurred between Jan-Nov 2017 were caused by vans, said Kongsak Chuenkrailat, chairman of the project for safety passengers of the Foundation for Consumers.

Mr Kongsak said according to statistics on accidents involving public transport compiled by several work units, passenger vans had 236 accidents during Jan-Nov this year or 21.5 times per month, injuring 906 people or 82.4 per month, and causing 113 deaths or 10.3 per month.

During the same period, regular public buses had 102 accidents with 332 people injured and 26 killed while irregular passenger buses had 57 accidents with 353 people injured and 14 killed.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/vans-cause-accidents-among-public-transport/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-30

7 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Most of the road accidents involving public transport which occurred between Jan-Nov 2017 were caused by vans

Rather obvious isn't it?

This ranks up there w/ that astrologer saying there'd be a lot of accidents over the holidays..

Wouldn't have anything to do with the volume and weight of passengers would it, just saying......because I really don't believe speed to be a factor, or alcohol for that matter, lack of sleep etc etc

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Could it just be that most vehicles used for public transport are vans?

Without knowing the relative numbers of vans/buses and passengers it is not possible to confirm which are the most risky to travel in.

I would prefer to travel in one 50 seat bus rather than any one of five 10 seat vans.

I've used both.

I will not be using a van again because I have felt at severe risk in every van journey (about 6) and only moderate risk, once or twice, in over 40 bus journeys.  All journeys inter-provincial.

Edited by Enoon

When will they learn that these are not 'Vans' but Mini-Buses ?     Anyway; until drivers are properly trained, qualified, tested and licenced to drive any Public Service Vehicles and the vehicles are properly maintained and tested the disasters will continue.

8 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Rather obvious isn't it?

This ranks up there w/ that astrologer saying there'd be a lot of accidents over the holidays..

Agree.

There are so many of them, and most "drivers" are just idiots, pushed to the limit by owners of the contraptions.

My brother has a taxi company in the UK and they have many passenger vans. Don’t think they’ve ever had a crash. It’s as if they take passenger safety very seriously. Either that or they worry that having drivers who drive like idiots would cost them their license. 

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

When will they learn that these are not 'Vans' but Mini-Buses ?     Anyway; until drivers are properly trained, qualified, tested and licenced to drive any Public Service Vehicles and the vehicles are properly maintained and tested the disasters will continue.

When will you learn that they are neither. This is Thailand and what you read are translations from Thai to English. And what does the name have to do with it?

My experience with these white vans has been scary and I avoid them at all cost.

Nothing wrong with the Vans. Just make sure that they pass a warrant of fitness every 6 months and the drivers are trained and have a log book to ensure that they are not driving excess hours. Of course for log books to work there must be lots of random checks done on the road. Just recently I travelled for two hours in a van and the driver was watching a video all the way!!!! He had tuned his GPS onto Utube. Wife wouldn't let me complain as she knew the driver and he would loose face in front of the other 11 passengers. I was afraid of loosing my head so reported him to the booking office when we arrived but they were not interested so went over the road to the Police and was impressed with the concern they showed, particularly when I showed them the video I had taken.

Ill disciplined Van Drivers are the reason we;

a) Drive our own kids to school through fear that they might not otherwise arrive &

b  ) Added a rear dashcam and software in order to accurately capture the full monty for our insurers if necessary and/or minimize the chance of plod homing in on a seemingly easy target.

latest?cb=20140106053755

Edited by evadgib

I refuse to use them, a few years ago the extended family was going to Chiang Rai for a funeral. They chartered a van despite the fact that they all have cars. I told my wife to go ahead, that I would take the pickup. She castigated me for being the only one that wouldn't cooperate. I told her to go ahead, I would pick up any survivors, they all took their cars. Too many close calls and bad experiences for me.

If I'm going 120 on a two lane and and there's somebody on my ass, 99 times out of 100 it's a silver or white 12 passenger van trying to pass me going up a hill on a left hand curve. 

Worst drivers on the roads. 

So do you get a kilo of free yaba with every purchase of a mini van here?

Even in the UK these vehicles tended to be company vehicles, so they were driven more dangerously because someone else usually picked up the bill for the damage, and i would assume similar practices go on in Thailand, plus the added danger of worse driving "skills" in Thailand.

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Wouldn't have anything to do with the volume and weight of passengers would it, just saying......because I really don't believe speed to be a factor, or alcohol for that matter, lack of sleep etc etc

It is time you woke up you have been dreaming again only this time I think it was a nightmare

Actually safer to be in one the vans, even with the crazy irresponsible bad drivers than on a bus.

236 van accidents vs 102 "regular" bus accidents - that's a ratio of 2.3:1

"Irregular" (tour buses) passenger buses had 57 accidents so added to regular buses the total for buses is 159 or 1.48:1 against vans.

BUT there are likely more than 50 vans for every bus in service.

2 hours ago, aguy30 said:

Actually safer to be in one the vans, even with the crazy irresponsible bad drivers than on a bus.

236 van accidents vs 102 "regular" bus accidents - that's a ratio of 2.3:1

"Irregular" (tour buses) passenger buses had 57 accidents so added to regular buses the total for buses is 159 or 1.48:1 against vans.

BUT there are likely more than 50 vans for every bus in service.

That's 1.48:1 van to bus accidents but 50:1 in ratio of vans to buses in service.

14 hours ago, Rhys said:

where do motorcycles rate...

Passenger motorbikes rarely have accidents.

Most sleep all day so plenty of sleep. 

Most don't drink and drive. 

They travel short distances. 

Keep their bikes up to date. Don't play their telephone whilst driving.