Re register every time I sleep away from home?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/better-if-you-do-phuket-immigration-chief-urges-foreigners-to-re-register-addresses-even-if-staying-off-island-just-one-night-65744.php#b1OOuaD8jGCbIIRJ.97

A Austrian Expat writes that it is necessary to re register every time at Immigration after you sleep away from home - even for one night - and gives above Link from talking of Phuket Immigration official. 

So multiple - more visits to Immigration if you slept just a night somewhere?

Also a law for me in Udon Thani? Confused - thank you. 

Edited by ALFREDO

The trend is towards requiring TM30 notifications more often. I think Phuket is still unique in requiring literal adherence with Section 38 of the Immigration Act, and no other office I am aware of (yet) requires a new notification after a short trip away from home inside the country.

Note that Phuket seems to be enforcing TM30 notifications, and not the TM28 report under Section 37 (3) and Section 37 (4).of the Immigration Act.

• Like 1

I come under Udon and do a TM28 & TM30 when returning from abroad.

Last year when doing my annual extension of stay (Non O), I remember the IO mentioned that I needed to do a TM30, so I showed him I had the receipt for one in my passport already. He was quite happy about that.

So I'm not certain if Udon will be checking for TM30 receipts regularly now or not.

• Like 1

Went to Immigration in Chiang Mai to report returning from overseas.   They had my address as a hotel in Chiang Mai, where I had stayed 1 night.

I was told I must report each time I stay away overnight .  I assume that means as a registered guest.   No fine this time.

• Like 2

I recently stayed away overnight in a hotel(still in Thailand), returned to home in Chiang Mai, and upon going to immigration to get my TM30 restamped was told it was not necessary. Only re-entering the country is a requirement to get the TM30 restamped. (2 weeks ago)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are requesting this at Jomtien too.  When doing the 90 day reporting they highlighted that my daughter had not done a new TM30 form and the fine was 1600baht.
They advised that now every time you re-enter the country or re-enter to your home after being in a hotel you have 24 hours to complete a new TM30 or else the fine is 1600baht.
In the case of a weekend or Public Holiday it has to be done on the next working day to avoid the fine.

This is completely separate to the 90 day reporting.

As I travel out of the country most weeks this is a real bugger!  There currently is no online solution for Jomtien either.
BTW my visa is a 1 year Non Imm-O and my daughter is a Non-Imm Ed (she is 15y)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kron said:

I would guess the requirement would be only if some establishment such as a hotel has recorded you being away from home! Why do a report when Immigration's records already have you at your home.

But what surefire way is there of checking whether or not a hotel has reported your stay there to Immigration? Better to err on the side of caution and submit a fresh TM30 upon your return to your home address (if your immigration office specifically requires this, of course) regardless, I think.

• Like 2

In Udon Thani they would like to have a TM28 (The law says that you can give the TM28 to the normal police) if you stayed somewhere else (of course at this other place where you stay you would also be required to submit a TM28). I don't know if they fine you if you don't do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vivoviajar said:

Went to Immigration in Chiang Mai to report returning from overseas.   They had my address as a hotel in Chiang Mai, where I had stayed 1 night.

I was told I must report each time I stay away overnight .  I assume that means as a registered guest.   No fine this time.

I will not do anything until they not come to me with heavy fine - I not a puppet.  :post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by ALFREDO

29 minutes ago, thaiclan said:

They are requesting this at Jomtien too.  When doing the 90 day reporting they highlighted that my daughter had not done a new TM30 form and the fine was 1600baht.
They advised that now every time you re-enter the country or re-enter to your home after being in a hotel you have 24 hours to complete a new TM30 or else the fine is 1600baht.

Ting Tong - lol  :shock1:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bubba45 said:

I left my home in CM on Sunday and spent four nights in BKK.  Back in CM now.  Hell if I'm running to immigration just to tell them this.  I stayed in a hotel, let them hotel tell them.  If they have a problem with it next time I have to go, screw 'em, I'll go back to America and never come back.  See how badly they miss my thousands of baht each year paying for their stupid, crushing bureaucracy.   

I'm already disgusted by the cost for the notaries, forms, fees, and everything else for the retirement visa, re-entry permits, and the foolishness of registering me as an alien in my wife's home.  Now I understand I need MORE notarized forms from the embassy ($75 for every notarization) to get a driver's license.  Guess all the notarized forms I already have from my embassy saying I am who I say I am are not good enough for the drivers license people.  I'll keep driving without, thanks.

Very well - I have the same attitude :smile:

And I drive also still with my Home countries and International driving license since 1990 in Thailand.

No problems at all and I had accidents with police reports and insurance payments.

I have no idea to go for such a Thai Driving License!

Does not make me a better driver and only to please the authorities lol no.

And until now did work well like that. :stoner:

• Like 1

We go away quite often ...I use my wifes booking.com or she books direct.

Can't remember the last time I had to produce ID ... usually get away with ...if you take my ID I then have to go to immigration to say I'm back home, isn't that stupid ... seems to work.

5* hotels sometime insist ...a good reason to give them a miss ...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

Also a law for me in Udon Thani? Confused - thank you. 

In principle yes, but check in a local forum if Udon-immigration wish you to do that.

Where I live (not Udon) they have recently imposed the rule, however we can do it online – when self being "Master of House" – if staying at a hotel or like, the landlord shall do the registration within 24 hours. However, if you sleep outside home, and you're not registered (reported to an Immigration office) there, you don't need to re-register...:smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

But what surefire way is there of checking whether or not a hotel has reported your stay there to Immigration? Better to err on the side of caution and submit a fresh TM30 upon your return to your home address (if your immigration office specifically requires this, of course) regardless, I think.

Surefire way is not checking in under your name.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bubba45 said:

I left my home in CM on Sunday and spent four nights in BKK.  Back in CM now.  Hell if I'm running to immigration just to tell them this.  I stayed in a hotel, let them hotel tell them.  If they have a problem with it next time I have to go, screw 'em, I'll go back to America and never come back.  See how badly they miss my thousands of baht each year paying for their stupid, crushing bureaucracy.   

I'm already disgusted by the cost for the notaries, forms, fees, and everything else for the retirement visa, re-entry permits, and the foolishness of registering me as an alien in my wife's home.  Now I understand I need MORE notarized forms from the embassy ($75 for every notarization) to get a driver's license.  Guess all the notarized forms I already have from my embassy saying I am who I say I am are not good enough for the drivers license people.  I'll keep driving without, thanks.

Read again, especially Sections 1, 3, 7 and 8 in the main article. And check your blood pressure regularly!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, JackThompson said:

So far, from reports I have seen, only Phuket is enforcing for short-stays away in-country.

Having said that Alfredo, Udon Immi did "force feed" a TM30 on my wife and other ladies two weeks ago. No problem but they did clip part of the form into my passport. You might want to make sure you are covered in Udon at least.

• Like 1

So,  when I arrive in Phuket later this year I will be staying with a friend in their rented home, for 4 days before moving to an hotel.  Do I have to get a copy of their TM30 and register at Immigration?  I thought the TM30 was the document the landlord had to submit to ensure he/she is paying tax on the income.  I will have registered the address with immigration on arrival and the hotel will do the same after I check in.

A number of tourists who go island hopping off Phuket plus Divers who do liveaboards are going to spend a large percentage of their holiday at Immigration in Phuket especially during high season.  What fun.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, YT5 said:

So,  when I arrive in Phuket later this year I will be staying with a friend in their rented home, for 4 days before moving to an hotel.  Do I have to get a copy of their TM30 and register at Immigration?  I thought the TM30 was the document the landlord had to submit to ensure he/she is paying tax on the income.  I will have registered the address with immigration on arrival and the hotel will do the same after I check in.

A number of tourists who go island hopping off Phuket plus Divers who do liveaboards are going to spend a large percentage of their holiday at Immigration in Phuket especially during high season.  What fun.

In principle your friend, as "master of house", need to register at Immigration that you're staying in his house – Phuket seem to be a bit tight about that...:whistling:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bubba45 said:

bad day?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, vivoviajar said:

I, too, am in Chiang Mai. I've stayed a night in Pai since when I've done 2x90day reports and consecutive nights in Thoeng and Phayao after which I've done 1x90day report. All stays at hotels. Not been challenged on either occasion.

• Like 1

One only needs to do a TM30 on arrival for their long-term residence in Thailand. It's a grey area whose responsibility that is. For everywhere else, where you stay is responsible for the TM30.

My guess is in the tourist hotspots Immigration files the bits of paper away unread. In Bangkok, they don't even bother because if they did, the city would be buried in paper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

Ting Tong - lol  :shock1:

I travel in and out of this country all the time.  Stay in hotels all over Thailand. 

I have never been told anything about this stuff when I go for my reports/extension.

I guess it is the law but what technology is compiling the records?

Just saying seems very foolish to rush to immigration for this I would never and have never done this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1