The Bay "Mall" North Pattaya -- What happened?

Jingthing

It seems sort of open but from the baht bus it appears largely unoccupied. Just looking at it passing by, I've never been inspired to even stop. 

For people that have visited, is there any reason to stop? 

Is "The Bay" destined to make "The Avenue" look a roaring success? :stoner:

Currently there are a Chinese bank and a Starbucks open with a McDonald's on the forecourt along with a night market and live music. A large kitchen is being built for a Chinese (so I am told) restaurant. The main part behind McDonald's is advertised to be a Korean Market (opening shortly) but not a lot of fit out going on there currently

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sometimes wonder if this and other developments are built with an eye to the future. The Bay is in a prime spot; more so than Avenue on 2nd Road; and uptake of units has been slow but it is growing.

I have been in Boots once and that's it, but if the promised German bierkeller ever materialises I will try that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info from the people that have checked it out. It's kind of what I thought based on what it looked like passing by. Really not nearly enough yet (or ever?) for me (and I assume most people) to make a special visit. That's different than having some attraction to people that are already in that area.

I know The Avenue has had it's problems, but when it opened I don't recall it being nearly as slow as The Bay in getting tenants after opening. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

Beach Rd. Near Pattaya Klang. Due to open in April 2016

Incorrect. 

It is way NORTH of Pattaya Klang.

The location has access from Beach Road, not 2nd road, unlike Central Pattaya Beach mall which has access from both, and similar to The Avenue, which only has access from 2nd road. 

It has been "open" for many months already. 

But that's the thing, it looks mostly EMPTY. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

All the folks who bought a condo on the backside for a view of the Bay....did some vodo Thai magic and made the place go bust....?

Don't know of any condos on the backside--and at only 4 stories or so it's not tall enough to block much.

22 minutes ago, newnative said:

Don't know of any condos on the backside--and at only 4 stories or so it's not tall enough to block much.

If you walk up Soi 5 you will see them behind The Bay. When they went up; about 10 years ago; they were on sale for less than 1M Baht. Later on an hotel group got involved, if I recall correctly. Good location but poorer view now.

3 hours ago, champers said:

I sometimes wonder if this and other developments are built with an eye to the future. The Bay is in a prime spot; more so than Avenue on 2nd Road; and uptake of units has been slow but it is growing.

I have been in Boots once and that's it, but if the promised German bierkeller ever materialises I will try that.

Different situation when The Avenue was built. Their failure, IMO, was more because they didn't aircondition the entire building. It should have done well where it is.

The Bay seems to be the same with individual AC shops and non AC outside them, so same fail. Been a while since I saw it, so may be different now.

I think they have to have specific sort of shops to succeed, rather than the same stuff as in a more exciting mall just down the road. If they had decent live music every night outside it might draw customers, but that does require "decent" live music.

Just sticking in a load of fast food places and the same clothes/ phones/ etc/ etc isn't going to work very well in a town awash with such, and T21 going to wipe every other place once it opens, till the initial trendy appeal wears off, if it does. If It's like T21 in Bkk, every mall in Pattaya should be worried.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for the info from the people that have checked it out. It's kind of what I thought based on what it looked like passing by. Really not nearly enough yet (or ever?) for me (and I assume most people) to make a special visit. That's different than having some attraction to people that are already in that area.

I know The Avenue has had it's problems, but when it opened I don't recall it being nearly as slow as The Bay in getting tenants after opening. 

When the Avenue opened the only competition was Royal garden and Mike's. Plenty of other malls around now.

21 minutes ago, catman20 said:

must be very successful mail ................i had to think where it was for a minute.

Yeah, as other's have said they are going to need some unique draws. The Avenue had Villa Market, Major Cinema, and bowling. More Boots, Starbucks, and McDonalds ain't gonna cut it. 

Dead malls happen -- :ph34r:

http://deadmalls.com/

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, as other's have said they are going to need some unique draws. The Avenue had Villa Market, Major Cinema, and bowling. More Boots, Starbucks, and McDonalds ain't gonna cut it. 

beside which its just what Pattaya needs another mail :cheesy: 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Give it time.

Remember the "addition" of the Hilton on the Top on Central?

Nothing unobtrusive.     :smile:

Amazing how eyesight differs on our beloved forum. Many of us perceive the Hilton as beside Central rather than on top of it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

And this helps account for but doesn't excuse the fact that our ace TVF Economists predicted no doom for The Avenue. Quite rare for a new construction. Hence it was likely that it would in fact fail, which it has. 

Edited by JSixpack

14 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Amazing how eyesight differs on our beloved forum. Many of us perceive the Hilton as beside Central rather than on top of it.

Thanks for the reply but please advise me as to your optician/ophthalmologist  so I can definitely avoid them.       

How many stories do you fail to not see?

:smile:

And I wonder how many buyers of View Taley 6 on the north side would agree with your "observation"?

Edited by watcharacters
  • Thanks 1

And this helps account for but doesn't excuse the fact that our ace TVF Economists predicted no doom for The Avenue. Quite rare for a new construction. Hence it was likely that it would in fact fail, which it has. 
Not sure what you're saying. I don't see The Avenue as a failure. The owners are still collecting presumably high rents on the majority of the space. I can see that it's not a spectacular success though. For the record I never predicted The Avenue would fail not with their special anchors. I'm not sure yet about The Bay as maybe there are surprise special tenants that will come later. For now though does not appear very promising.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Thanks for the reply but please advise me as to your optician/ophthalmologist  so I can definitely avoid them.       

How many stories do you fail to not see?

:smile:

And I wonder how many buyers of View Taley 6 on the north side would agree with your "observation"?

I see none, actually, just sky up there. How many do you see on top of the mall? All 34? Now this is doubly alarming as our forum engineers have prophesied that the building will fall down. You mean the buyers of VT6 share your optician/ophthalmologist???

nearby04.jpg.cd3c3debdc6f19418828bff38295b756.jpg

Edited by JSixpack

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I don't see The Avenue as a failure. The owners are still collecting presumably high rents on the majority of the space.

I think you're swimming against the tide here. We demand that all spaces be seen to be currently occupied and with customers seen buying.

I think you're swimming against the tide here. We demand that all spaces be seen to be currently occupied and with customers seen buying.

Oh. Sarcasm. Cool.

Some of the tenants you have to wonder what they're thinking. Like Firepork Thailand Avenue.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Remember the "addition" of the Hilton on the Top on Central?

Nothing unobtrusive.     :smile:

How was the Hilton an "addition" ??

The initial project had 2 towers on top of the shopping mall,

one being an hotel (now Hilton),

the other one a condo (never built)

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Get off your ass.... it's on the baht bus route.