Video: Irate house owner takes axe to illegally parked car - but there's a backstory

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, aussie11950 said:

Why didn't she contact a locksmith to open the car and move it, or ask the police to help and break the window to move it.

Usually cars can be opened with a coat hanger, then to release the break to move it.

Do they have tow trucks here?

Not with the way door locks work nowadays. Gearbox locks in P automatically when the key is out etc

The old Ford Cortina only needed two bent teaspoons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a lot of sympathy for the lady especially if the story about a relative dying because of being unable to get out if the driveway is true.

From the size of the house and gateway she probably is rich enough not to fear the consequences of damaging the pickup.

What troubles me however is  the probability that in turn she double parks or blocks people in just like everybody else when it suits her..

Edited by Lemonltr
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, speedtripler said:

She should have set it on fire..... 

The same car would park in front of my driveway 3 times, (Chinese guy), visiting the new neighbour back home, 1st time I put a note on his windscreen, 2nd time I confronted him, with his reply being, you not have car in driveway, with my reply being, that's because its parked across the road, i.e. I cannot get into my driveway, regardless, you park in my driveway again, you will not find your car, so you want to have good insurance.

3rd time about a month later, called my mate who is a tow truck driver, didn't take long, his car was moved, he knocked on my door, I opened it, he asked if I moved his car, I said, no, but I did see a tow truck move it, he asked if I got wrote down the tow truck companies details, I said, no as I thought he broke down, was delivered to a wrecking yard, what happened to it, don't know, but never had that guy park in my driveway ever again.

Feel sorry for the lady, but taking to it with a machete, that's armature, setting it on fire, also armature, having it moved, well that takes a careful plan. 

Just seen this on Channel 3 midday news (but haven't read all this thread). It shows the incident from a different angle - from the pavement outside the gate, further back from the white pick-up.

It appears that, while this woman is somewhat justified in her anger, she has no qualms about almost completely blocking the pavement with her vehicle as it's poking out of the gate.

I wonder how she'd have felt and reacted if a pedestrian, who had to walk in the road to get around her car, had been hit and injured/killed by the passing traffic.

Edited by MartinL

Charges await furious aunties in Bangkok parking dispute

By Kornkamon Aksorndech 
The Nation

31a3476aba3faad1ae4b3741c18ea5ac-sld.jpe

Two Bangkok women have a date with police after taking an axe and spade to a parked pickup truck that was blocking their gate.

The gate outside their home in Prawet district was where police posted summonses on Monday for Rattanachat Seangyoktrakan, 61, and Ranee Saengyoktrakan, 57, to come see them on February 26 and explain why they’d damaged the pickup the day before.

The “aunties” face charges of damaging property, making a threat and carrying a weapon.

Prawet superintendent Pol Colonel Alongkorn Sirisongkhram wants to ask them about a complaint filed by pickup owner Ratchanikorn Lertwassana, 37, who also provided a video recording of the incident.

Police said damage amounted to Bt50,000, punishable by up to three years in prison and/or a fine of up to Bt6,000.

Alongkorn said the truck was legally parked in terms of zoning hours, but she was blocking an entrance, a petty offence – causing a disturbance – which could have put Ratchanikorn in jail for up to a month and result in a fine.

Police decided to fine her Bt500.

Ratchanikorn said the house gate was padlocked and festooned with signs, so she assumed it was shuttered for legal reasons and thus unoccupied.

She parked, spent 10 minutes buying goods nearby, and returned to see the two women holding an axe and spade standing next to her damaged truck.

Ratchanikorn said she apologised for blocking their gate, but the woman with the axe threatened to harm her and, pointing to the signs, asked if she were stupid or illiterate.

Concerned passers-by pulled Ratchanikorn aside.

“I accept that it was my fault for blocking the gate, but I’m not from that area, so I don’t know what went on there and I thought the house was unoccupied,” she said.

“They shouldn’t do this to others. I’m pressing charges so they don’t do it again.”

The video of the pickup’s window, hood and bumper being smashed was posted online and widely seen, with many viewers criticising the aunties for overreacting.

Some people did empathise, however, with one neighbour saying a man had died because his gate was blocked and his family couldn’t get him to hospital promptly.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339292

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-20

Enough was enough, pickup-smashing aunties explain

By The Nation

a7809738a9ae8f81ede64236a814cc71.jpeg

Bangkok homeowners Rattanachat Seangyoktrakan, 61, and Ranee Saengyoktrakan, 57 – caught on video causing Bt50,000 damage to a parked pickup truck blocking their gate – faced the press on Tuesday morning to insist they’d done nothing wrong.

The women said Sunday’s incident was the first time they’d resorted to attacking a parked vehicle, but they’d had plenty of opportunities previously.

“We’ve had this same problem for 10 years,” one of them said. “We have to wait for people to finish their shopping so we can leave our own house. Sometimes people even complain to us that they haven’t finished their shopping yet.”

They said the axe and spade they used to attack the truck weren’t “weapons”, as suggested in a possible pending charge, but merely tools they had handy at the time.

A police source reported separately that the house owner had asked Prawet traffic police to remove parked vehicles blocking the gate four times in the past three years.

There had never been violence at the address before, but only occasional verbal arguments.

Police were not called about the parked pickup on Sunday, however, the source said.

The women also complained to reporters that the previous Prawet district chief should not have allowed street hawkers to set up stalls in the area, where temporary trade is banned.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339293

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-20

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Should have just smashed the window, open the door and push the pick-up. I too will be infuriated if someone block my house entrance. Still no need for excessive damage to vehicle. 

As someone said previously, the transmission is locked in Park without the key in the ignition. Makes me wonder how car thieves in films just open the door, fiddle with a few wires under the dash, and drive off.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Should have just smashed the window, open the door and push the pick-up. I too will be infuriated if someone block my house entrance. Still no need for excessive damage to vehicle. 

I would not damage a car either.. but I think the problem here is that this is a recurring problem that happens almost every day. I think the annoyance builds up and up and now finally explodes. I also don't think anything will change there as people here really don't care about others when they park their cars.

The next time it happens will it be one of them or the parking "offender" who ends up on the ground?

And the next time after that who will end up dead?

Because now it will be forgotten about (no "authority" will take any action to forestall a repeat)..........until the next time.

Edited by Enoon

10 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Why people here doesn’t have brain, at the the pickup driver could have left her contact on car dash board so the house owner can call her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why people just don't park in front of signs that say you can't park there. What your saying is ignore the signs and leave your number so they can call you if you please can move your car and they have to wait for you call you ect. Just don't park where you are not allowed to park. 

But I don't agree with the damage done to the car.

• Like 2

Why people just don't park in front of signs that say you can't park there. What your saying is ignore the signs and leave your number so they can call you if you please can move your car and they have to wait for you call you ect. Just don't park where you are not allowed to park. 

Since when people here follow road signs, and we are talking about signs made by the house owner, not police or local government. Moreover the road in front of her house belongs to public, not private area. Double parking is common here, as long as you leave gear in neutral or leave your no so people can notify if car needed to be moved immediately.

1 minute ago, shady86 said:
14 minutes ago, robblok said:

Since when people here follow road signs, and we are talking about signs made by the house owner, not police or local government. Moreover the road in front of her house belongs to public, not private area. Double parking is common here, as long as you leave gear in neutral or leave your no so people can notify if car needed to be moved immediately.

It's common sense not to park in front of someone's driveway, you shouldn't need a sign to  tell you not to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, shady86 said:
25 minutes ago, robblok said:

In the story it said the owner went to court and after that erected the sign so i assume she got permission from the court for the sign. That is different from the sign from a home owner.  Blocking a driveway or an other car is just selfish if you can't leave it in neutral then just don't park there. 

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

As someone said previously, the transmission is locked in Park without the key in the ignition. Makes me wonder how car thieves in films just open the door, fiddle with a few wires under the dash, and drive off.

There is always that small button to press for moving the transmission handle.

I would have parked my car somewhere else (so it doesnt matter if people block my gate) and put a wheel lock on every car parking there (chain & lock) so they can walk home. 

Not sure how that would stop others from parking there and it wont free up my exit (it even blocks it longer), but it would be fun seeing the car owners get angry and frustrated.

Btw, this is what you get in a country without law enforcement. Everybody does as they please and from time to time someone boils over and smashes up a car or kills some people. Thanks RTP.

Edited by Bob12345