Honda Leasing question

wattaman

OK, long story short: I've bought a Honda and I must pay for it 5 years. The company is Honda Leasing and the period of payment 5 years.

Question is (for those familiar with Honda Leasing): during these 5 years, who pays for maintenance, me or Honda? ie oil change, parts replaces etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 10:03 AM, smutcakes said:

You, obviously. From memory perhaps the first check is on Honda which is after 10,000 km or 6 months. After which all is on you. I get my serviced every 10,000 km.

Thanks. Let me ask you another question. Am I obliged to do all the maintenance things that Honda wants me to do? For example, if they tell me that I must change some parts, but I think that's not the need. Can I refuse, or I have to do it?

PS it is not the cost that bothers me, it's mostly the fact that I've heard of dishonest dealers that call the cars in for maintenance and instead of doing so, they actually replace new parts with old ones.

You still did not clarify how exactly you "bought" the car, but if you bought it you can of course do or not do with the car what you want, it's yours. But probably Honda will decline any warranty requests if you don't follow their service plan.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wattaman said:

Thanks. Let me ask you another question. Am I obliged to do all the maintenance things that Honda wants me to do? For example, if they tell me that I must change some parts, but I think that's not the need. Can I refuse, or I have to do it?

PS it is not the cost that bothers me, it's mostly the fact that I've heard of dishonest dealers that call the cars in for maintenance and instead of doing so, they actually replace new parts with old ones.

I think only once they have recommended something in 4 years, which was something to do with the air con. Last time after about 4 years they started to mention that the tyres were starting to look a bit bald. I will probably get a second opinion at some point from someone who knows about cars when i am passing through before my next check up. 

I have not found them putting the hard sell on though.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wattaman said:

please let smutcakes answer (if he wants to), he understood.

Have you read all the details in the leasing agreement / do you have a copy in English?

Agree, buying and leasing are not the same thing.

If your actually leasing the car for 5 years what happens when the 5 years is up, was that all explained and clear; do you own it by making a final schedules standard monthly payout at 5 years? Or do you just hand the car back to Honda leasing at 5 years?

Further perhaps you bought the car on the basis of a deposit and the balance financed as a loan to you (rather than an actual leasing agreement - unusual but I guess possible), in other words when you make the final payment 5 years later it's yours.

If Honda leasing or whatever are financing you they actually own the car until you make the final payment, same picture if it's leased, they actually own the vehicle. 

Again, what does the agreement say?

• Like 1

Honda Leasing = loan company owned by Honda...not similar to leasing a car in Europe where you need to return it. The name is indeed a bit confusing.

The OP has a 5 year loan for his car. After 5 years he will own it. Therefore, better to forget about the leasing in Honda Leasing. 

You can refuse anything you want, but you do need to follow the regular maintenance schedule from Honda. Normally their maintenance isn't expensive to begin with. Other parts such as tires, wipers and even brakes you can do somewhere else if you feel like it.

15 hours ago, wattaman said:

please let smutcakes answer (if he wants to), he understood.

It strikes me you and others are confusing several things::

1 Car Warantee (usually about 5 years) where faulty parts and work to replace them is covered.

2. Honda Leasing is a Finance company which offers :

a. Financing of your purchase - Hire Purchase if you like. This is where you buy the car by borrowing from the Leasing Company. Therefore you are responsible for all maintenance costs.

b. Leasing a car through the Leasing Company. The Leasing company owns the car and is responsible for all maintenance (sometimes includes car insurance) therefore Leasing company pays for all maintenance. You pay for fuel only

So you financed a car on 60 months payments.

That has nothing to do with leasing .....it is hire purchase.

The normal warranties will exist. Read the agreement.

Normal servicing which you should do as a matter of course will be at your expense

Preferably use dealer where you purchased car they a re reasonable.

Also during the service if tey see anything needs fixing they will tell you.

During the warranty period they will fix & just get you to sign off for Honda

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 9:30 PM, wattaman said:

OK, long story short: I've bought a Honda and I must pay for it 5 years. The company is Honda Leasing and the period of payment 5 years.

Question is (for those familiar with Honda Leasing): during these 5 years, who pays for maintenance, me or Honda? ie oil change, parts replaces etc.

Ummmm......................you didn't check the Contract terms before you signed? :whistling:

55 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Ummmm......................you didn't check the Contract terms before you signed? :whistling:

I have my doubts about the sanity of anyone who buys a new car here, let alone signing a lease. Grand slam in worst financial decisions redoubled. So many good low-mileage cars at much less cost.

My former company used to lease cars for myself and other employees. All the leases for all car makes put the responsibility for maintenance on my company, and it was one with a lot of legal clout. Perhaps that answers the OP's question.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have my doubts about the sanity of anyone who buys a new car here, let alone signing a lease. Grand slam in worst financial decisions redoubled. So many good low-mileage cars at much less cost.

My former company used to lease cars for myself and other employees. All the leases for all car makes put the responsibility for maintenance on my company, and it was one with a lot of legal clout. Perhaps that answers the OP's question.

I agree if your company allows that. A couple of farang i work with have the use of company cars on the weekends etc and in the evenings. When they are not using them others in the company do, i.e from Monday-Friday they are pool cars and at the end of the day the farang take them home and drive them to work in the morning. However not all companies do this, and of course many like myself have a partner who wants to use a car through the week.

I did look at leasing a car like a company does so that you pay a monthly amount 'rent' and maintenance etc is included, however it did not appear particularly easy or cost effective to do it as an individual, although i did not investigate to much. 

I was skeptical about needing or having a car initially but now i have one i would not like to not have access to one. Its been pretty pain free ownership, i think i pay about 9K per month (for another couple of years) and there are many service centres especially for Hondas or Toyota, and have never had an issue taking it for its 6 monthly servicing at different service centres. 

If you know your cars then i don't see the problem with getting a second hand one, other than you are paying all upfront, which can be a bit of a minefield if you don't know what you are buying. Buying new at least you have the warranty and the dealerships to get assistance from.

Having the car just makes everything so much easier on holidays, weekends, weekly shopping, golf etc (if you golf) and not having to rely on buses, cabs etc

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A cynic might say the reason falangs here have to get loans for cars is that they can't afford to buy the good low mileage cars outright...just saying :whistling:

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

I agree if your company allows that. A couple of farang i work with have the use of company cars on the weekends etc and in the evenings. When they are not using them others in the company do, i.e from Monday-Friday they are pool cars and at the end of the day the farang take them home and drive them to work in the morning. However not all companies do this, and of course many like myself have a partner who wants to use a car through the week.

I did look at leasing a car like a company does so that you pay a monthly amount 'rent' and maintenance etc is included, however it did not appear particularly easy or cost effective to do it as an individual, although i did not investigate to much. 

I was skeptical about needing or having a car initially but now i have one i would not like to not have access to one. Its been pretty pain free ownership, i think i pay about 9K per month (for another couple of years) and there are many service centres especially for Hondas or Toyota, and have never had an issue taking it for its 6 monthly servicing at different service centres. 

If you know your cars then i don't see the problem with getting a second hand one, other than you are paying all upfront, which can be a bit of a minefield if you don't know what you are buying. Buying new at least you have the warranty and the dealerships to get assistance from.

Having the car just makes everything so much easier on holidays, weekends, weekly shopping, golf etc (if you golf) and not having to rely on buses, cabs etc

Jeezuz mate without taking the piss how would you not own a car? Or do you prefer to 4 up your family on a scooter? Or is your preferred family transport a saleng? 

3 minutes ago, starky said:

Jeezuz mate without taking the piss how would you not own a car? Or do you prefer to 4 up your family on a scooter? Or is your preferred family transport a saleng? 

I did not have a family when i moved here. There are many people here who don't have a car and you can get away with not owning one if you live in the centre of Bangkok, and are happy to get busses, taxis when they want to head away.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Warranties are simply a  conspiracy between the manufacturer and dealer to tie a buyer to the dealer for a servicing period. Extended warranties extend the gravy train for the dealer. That's why the warranty is voided if a buyer gets the car serviced by another mechanic. Most dealerships don't have a qualified mechanic doing the servicing; it's done by an apprentice, but the car owner gets charged the mechanic's rate.

It's very rare with modern quality control for a car to have any major problems, so warranties are seldom a cost to the manufacturer. And customers can get fobbed off. If you are the proud owner of a flagship Mercedes AMG C63, you will be told by the dealer brake squeal is normal. Funny about that - I've never had it on my 1989 Merc.

15 hours ago, starky said:

Not everyone here has a family of four... I love my motorbike. If I could only have a car or a motorbike then I think I would get rid of the car. The motorbike is far more practical in BKK and there are loads of taxi's if you need one.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you are the proud owner of a flagship Mercedes AMG C63, you will be told by the dealer brake squeal is normal. Funny about that - I've never had it on my 1989 Merc.

Change of brake pad materials from asbestos, I would suggest. Happened with my Toyota Camry.

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Change of brake pad materials from asbestos, I would suggest. Happened with my Toyota Camry.

You could be right. Apparently there are still many replacement brake pads containing asbestos on warehouse shelves, even though asbestos has been banned in brake pads since the mid-1980's.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

You could be right. Apparently there are still many replacement brake pads containing asbestos on warehouse shelves, even though asbestos has been banned in brake pads since the mid-1980's.

Advice given to me by a friend who is a long time motor mechanic/service technician.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Not everyone here has a family of four... I love my motorbike. If I could only have a car or a motorbike then I think I would get rid of the car. The motorbike is far more practical in BKK and there are loads of taxi's if you need one.

Love my bikes too mate been riding since I was 15 but there's days even in the tropics forget the rest of the world where I wouldn't want to be riding everyday. Never met a biker that enjoys long rides in the sleet the snow or the rain sometimes a car is the best option. 

On 10/03/2018 at 5:52 PM, smutcakes said:

I did not have a family when i moved here. There are many people here who don't have a car and you can get away with not owning one if you live in the centre of Bangkok, and are happy to get busses, taxis when they want to head away.

Yeah sweet enjoy those bus rides mate

4 minutes ago, starky said:

Love my bikes too mate been riding since I was 15 but there's days even in the tropics forget the rest of the world where I wouldn't want to be riding everyday. Never met a biker that enjoys long rides in the sleet the snow or the rain sometimes a car is the best option. 

Yea there are times that a car is the best option but in my life a bike is far better. I can wait for rain to pass if need be. But there is almost always traffic. I just notice that hopping around in a 20km radius it all goes better with a bike.

2 minutes ago, starky said:

Yeah sweet enjoy those bus rides mate

Are you drunk? What in the world are you trying to say? I have a car already for 5 years. When i first came here surprisingly i did not bring one with me. After a few years i bought one, and have had one ever since, and now would not not have one, as i said it my previous post.

I have no idea what you are trying to say, you seem very confused.

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea there are times that a car is the best option but in my life a bike is far better. I can wait for rain to pass if need be. But there is almost always traffic. I just notice that hopping around in a 20km radius it all goes better with a bike.

Agree 100% all I'm saying is to have a bike, the time you most enjoy riding is when you want to not when you have to