Girlfriend very keen to register me at her family home

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Total rubbish. You can't even register a foreigner on the house book.

A foreigner with PR status can be registered in his wife's blue house book.

Other foreigners can be registered on the Civilian Register, but obtain a yellow house book, which denotes a foreign under Immigration control. (Not a permanent resident).

On 3/1/2018 at 6:16 PM, elviajero said:

There is no real benefit to being registered at an address. The fact you are even slightly suspicious of your gf’s reasons means, IMO, you shouldn’t do it. 

Plus, from the way I read one of your posts you plan to leave Thailand within around 1 year and return to your home country for many years.

So why get deeply tangled with this or any girl, and bring on emotional and others hassles when you leave?

On the other hand, does she know your next year plan to return home for a number of years and therefore she's trying to get you really tied down?

Maybe a plan to to trap you and your finances long-term, or maybe she genuinely loves you?

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Other foreigners can be registered on the Civilian Register, but obtain a yellow house book, which denotes a foreign under Immigration control. (Not a permanent resident).

Thanks for that. I was actually referring to the OP, who does not have PR.

32 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Confirmed, I have PR (more than 2 decades), my name went into the blue book immediately I got my PR approval letter, without question. 

Edited by scorecard

On 01/03/2018 at 2:35 PM, Rama said:

As a foreigner the banks won't give you a credit card and probably not a debit card. Should be able to get a bank account and ATM card almost anywhere. If you're registered at your gf's place she may be putting her name on the account also and be able to access. I'd be highly suspicious.

Try Kasikorn bank. I got a visa credit card with one million baht limit. No sweat.

On 01/03/2018 at 2:35 PM, Rama said:

As a foreigner the banks won't give you a credit card and probably not a debit card. Should be able to get a bank account and ATM card almost anywhere. If you're registered at your gf's place she may be putting her name on the account also and be able to access. I'd be highly suspicious.

As a foreigner the banks won't give you a credit card and probably not a debit card. Should be able to get a bank account and ATM card almost anywhere.

An ATM Card is a Debit Card. Most banks will issue a Credit Card to a 'foreigner' but require a security deposit of around 200.000 ThB as surety.

With a so called 'Savings Account, with any of the major banks they will issue a single Debit Card to the account owner. If a joint account they will issue only one card, you have to choose.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, jenny2017 said:

Yes, I'm just trying for a savings account with atm debit card that is either Visa or Mastercard. UnionPay is useless for online purchases.

As mentioned before, I obtained a Visa Debit Card from Krungsri, but it cannot be used for on-line shopping. I haven't pursued the issue with the bank, but it may be possible to have it so activated.

Others may have had experience along these lines.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:
On 3/1/2018 at 6:53 PM, BritTim said:

The benefit for her is that it makes it easier for you to pay for things.

Huh? How's that work?

Assuming things work out as she hopes, the OP will have a bank account with credit card. That allows immediate payment when not carrying sufficient cash, and where a check is not acceptable. I am not saying this is bad, or even that it is the reason she is trying to bring it about, just that it could be an advantage to her in some situations.

• Like 1

I think that she wants to proof that she is serious about you. 
living in her real home means that she is not ashamed to be seen with you in the village.

similar to the logic "I cook for you every day, so you know that I love you."

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 10:05 AM, warriorbangkok said:

555 Girl wants farang to register at her house. It's simple - it improves her credit rating. Nothing good comes to the farang from this. Must be a stitch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A signed passport copy could be used to buy a motorbike, or other stuff...two guarantees are needed. 

It seems you are going to a lot of trouble to just make some online purchases. I would never put my wealth in a Thai bank, too many stories of disappearing money. If its just a credit card you need, default back to your home country and obtain a prepaid credit card like Revolut. You can probably do everything online and have it posted to you in Thailand. I supplied my kids with these when they were travelling, they are instant top up, good exchange rates and you can block and unblock it immediately with the phone app.

As to registering with your g/f and only staying for 10 months more, well really, what do you honestly think ?

Good luck.

7 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

if u need leave a security deposit its NOT a credit card.....

Credit means the bank is giving you CREDIT for ur use and u pay it the next month

It is a CREDIT card, and certainly isn't a DEBIT card!. If it were a debit card the money would be immediately taken from your account. 

These credit cards do give credit. They just don't give credit to someone that hasn't got the means to back up the credit. It is suitable for someone that can deposit part of their cash with the issuing bank, which receives interest, for the duration of using the credit card. 

During the month credit is given on any spending on the card, and the cash deposit (security) isn't touched. At the end of the month, depending on the terms of the card issuer, the balance is repaid (not from the security deposit) in part or full.

It's no different to someone having a credit card from a bank they keep all/part of their savings with, except the CREDIT, is conditional on keeping x baht on deposit.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2018 at 9:52 PM, bluesofa said:

Regarding Bangkok Bank and Visa/Unon Pay debit cards.

There is a thread elsewhere on TVF about this. BKK Bank are issuing that useless UP card to a lot of customers.

Do a search in the banking forum on here, you'll find the thread about it in there.

There have been a few posters who have said they've insisted on a Visa card, not a UP card when their old Visa card expired. A lot of the time from what I can remember, off the top of my head, unless pushed, the staff will try and fob you off with the UP card.

It seems quite often it's the individual branch who are either unwilling or not knowledgeable about what is possible.

I'd suggest calling the BKK Bank call centre (I think they're on shortcode 1333?) and ask - or rather insist on a Visa debit card. See what transpires.

As other posters have said, it is absolutely nothing at all to do with where you live/are registered living. Your g/f seems to have some hidden agenda there.

Dont they all !   :smile:

On 3/2/2018 at 10:05 AM, warriorbangkok said:

555 Girl wants farang to register at her house. It's simple - it improves her credit rating. Nothing good comes to the farang from this. Must be a stitch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

yet another "how does that work?' moment.

I read 100% of this thread and I feel none the wiser.   

Op has no work permit. 

He is <45. So no pension. So on paper you look no difference than a backpacking person on a years holiday. 

What bank would give him a unsecured credit card?  Even in his home country?

If he has some stash of cash somewhere can't he apply for a debit or credit card from there.   Or get a card from mum.

I was told it is easier to open a bank account if a government worker accompanies you.   How come I haven't heard anyone bring this up?

If I'm the girl and my bf says he goes back to his country I think I can be sweet enough until then so he will leave me a good way to send support. A debit card is ok but a credit card Taps into the farang money tree.   I have learned many Thai women don't understand compound interest.   Just get her a bank account so you can wire money to her using transferwise.  If you wish. 

Edited by Elkski

No benefits for her. Only for you if you aint got an adress already. Dont know if she can in any way get a new card and pincode sent to your new adress etc. Aslong as she doesnt want to get registered in your housebook,.....

On 3/1/2018 at 1:41 PM, QPRFC said:

Yes, I'm just trying for a savings account with atm debit card that is either Visa or Mastercard. UnionPay is useless for online purchases.
I'll try a few more banks tomorrow, I've been to 12 or so already and been rejected.
I'm sober, clean clothes etc....Mum would be proud of me emoji6.png
I've done everyone in Kad Suan Kaew and Chang Phueak with my Thai gf. Maybe I'll try the banks in Promenada where I successfully opened my BKK last July using just a TR visa and Passport.

Any other suggestions? Maya? Central Festival? Airport?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I moved out of Thailand 1 1/2 years ago so things could've changed but, it shouldn't be a problem for you to open a bank account, just be VERY clear to the staff at the bank, it's a DEBIT card you want. If you also have a work permit, that would ease up things considerably. One thing you don't want to do is to have your gf knowing the pin code to your atm card or access to your bank book.

You don't invite her to rip you off if you want to stay with her. I'm married with a Thai woman for over 11 years now, it wasn't until I knew her VERY well I that let her know anything, around 6-7 years into our relationship.

With that said, don't be too suspicious but also don't invite trouble in your life. She could be persuaded by others to do things too you and DO NOT open a bank account in her hometown. 

Edited by KamalaRider
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2018 at 7:41 PM, QPRFC said:

I'll try a few more banks tomorrow, I've been to 12 or so already and been rejected.
I'm sober, clean clothes etc....Mum would be proud of me emoji6.png
I've done everyone in Kad Suan Kaew and Chang Phueak with my Thai gf. Maybe I'll try the banks in Promenada where I successfully opened my BKK last July using just a TR visa and Passport.

Any other suggestions? Maya? Central Festival? Airport?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Don't take your Thai GF when you next go to the bank to open an account !

...if you take her word without having everything legally verified....you are doomed...

...whatever explanation....and reason she may give to convince you......is usually not the truth...

...these women have an unofficial network...they communicate together and plan and scheme based on years of real experiences dealing with hapless foreigners....we are clueless by comparison...

...good luck.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An update from me, I went to Airport shopping mall on Friday and attempted SCM & Kasikorn, both wanted a work permit, at least they both said "new bank policy" to explain the reason.
So, tougher times ahead for future ferang unless they have a work permit or visa => one year.

So UOB is still an option but I'm now thinking that maybe I will just stick with BKK and use ATM cash and go without any Amazon / Ebay purchases for a year....it's just material things that I won't be able to take in my luggage allowance anyway!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions (except for a few <deleted> out there)

I won't go for the name registration in the house book.

Chock Dee karp

Sent from my G8232 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 01/03/2018 at 3:24 PM, QPRFC said:

Some context....my gf is a good person, but I'm sceptical about 'the long game'.

Let me tell you something: in all likelihood she is.

I am a relative newbie in Thailand only but, where I live, the good Thai wives outnumber the good Farang husbands by a HUGE margin. I may be demanding but I expect a good husband not only to hand out money, but to be physically present to raise his kids. In my Daughter's kindergarten very few farang children have a good command of English, and the dads don't speak Thai either, so...

The other thing is: yes, being a good provider makes you sexy, but you must also be a good lover.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2018 at 2:40 PM, ubonjoe said:

No problem to get a debit card. Most banks issue them when you open an account.

She would not be able to make it a joint account without him knowing it.

Joe, Really ?? I've had a BKK Bank Account in Nong Khai for Years,I Even get my U.K State pension transferred into the SAME Account,I've asked Many times over the years " Can I Get a DEBIT Card " Always Told NO You CANNOT, But you CAN Have an ATM Card ( Which as you know that is of NO Use to buy anything over the Internet ).....I Currently have a Non-Imm " O " Visa Based on Marriage,I Also have a Yellow House Book...So can you clarify what you quote,Please.....

If you start a relationship with so many questions and fear, your life will be miserable and/or your relationship won't last.

Try to relax, look @ the bright side of life and then ask yourself would you step into such a relationship in your home country.

If the answer is yes.....good luck

If the answer is no , then good luck you're gonna need it!

26 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Joe, Really ?? I've had a BKK Bank Account in Nong Khai for Years,I Even get my U.K State pension transferred into the SAME Account,I've asked Many times over the years " Can I Get a DEBIT Card " Always Told NO You CANNOT, But you CAN Have an ATM Card ( Which as you know that is of NO Use to buy anything over the Internet )..

I got a ATM/debit card on same day that opened my account at Bangkok Bank.

"Convenient spending with a Be1st Smart card"

Source: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

OP, Going off your QPR badge your UK -

If you only want a credit card for online etc, then maybe just get yourself an Halifax Clarity Credit Card, its one of the best travellers card to have then you can shop in stores and online etc and just manage your card with online banking.

I have had one last few years and use it for weekly shops at supermarkets and most stores in Thailand - no international charges so is just like a normal CC back in UK

• Like 1