Thailand's new Highways System

As part of the Infrastructure Master Plan Thailand plan to build over 6,000 km of proper highways, autobahn style, over the next 20 years. That is nearly 1 km/day on average.

The Bang Pa-in - Korat section is well under way and should be operational late 2020. Happy driving!

Motorway routes will be...

Cross country routes
#M2 Maesot (Myanmar border) - Khonkaen - Mukdahan (Laos border)
#M3 Surin (Cambodia border) - Roi Et - Bueng Kan (Laos border)
#M4 Nakhon Sawan - Nakhon Ratchasima - Ubon Ratchathani (Laos border)

National Routes
#5 Bang Pa-in to Chiang Rai
#51 Chaing Mai - Lampang
#52 Suphanburi - Chainat
#53 Bkk 2nd Ring Road - Bang Pa-han
#6 Bang Pa-in - Nongkhai (Laos border)
#61 Chonburi - Nakhon Ratchasima
#62 Bkk 2nd Ring Road - Saraburi
#7 Bangkok - Banchang (Mab Taphud)
#71 Bkk 2nd Ring Road - Sa Kaew - Aranyaprathet (Cambodia border)
#72 Chonburi - Trat
#8 Nakhon Pathom - Narathiwas (Malaysia border)
#81 Bkk 2nd Ring Road - Kanchanaburi - Phu Namron (Myanmar border)
#82 Bkk 2nd Ring Road - Samut Songkhram - Pakthor (Elevated on highway #35)
#83 Suratthani - Phuket
#84 Songkhla - Hatyai - Sadao (Malaysia border)
#9 Bangkok 2nd Ring Road
#91 Bangkok 3rd Ring Road
#92 Chonburi - Chachoengsao - Saraburi - Lopburi - Suphanburi - Nakhon Pathom (Central Region Ring Road, join #8 and #81 at Nakhon Pathom)

Moterwayinthailand.jpg

• Like 2

This should be interesting considering past experience of Thai road construction.

Take as an instance, Chiang Mai and its "Super Highway" the route through the city has been under construction for over 10 years now and has not progressed in about 5!

How they expect to complete 6000KM at 1 km a day is beyond me.

They built what originally was to be a dual carriageway to link up with the main Bangkok highway near my place a few years ago, it ended up being a single carriageway that went for about 4 KM instead - that took over 4 years to complete and has never been correctly finished to this day - it is still cracking, subsiding and full of holes.

6000km? In their dreamy little heads and no more than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

This should be interesting considering past experience of Thai road construction.

They have done a good job on Highway 12 over the mountains between Lomsak and Phitsanulok. Extremely difficult construction and only a few failures due to ground water not being properly controlled.

But no new highways from Bangkok to Phetchabun is a pity.

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

They have done a good job on Highway 12 over the mountains between Lomsak and Phitsanulok. Extremely difficult construction and only a few failures due to ground water not being properly controlled.

But no new highways from Bangkok to Phetchabun is a pity.

How very true. I use Highway 12 quite a lot on my motorbike road trips. 

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

And the most common form of transport here (2 wheels) still won't be allowed on them.

Apart from Thailands dreadful road fatalities, this really upsets me. The authorities responsible for not allowing bigger bikes, ie over 250cc on some highways and flyovers, and force them to use the frontage roads is downright evil and bloody minded, that is why my motorbike trips from upcountry to Bangkok is severely restricted.

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

And the most common form of transport here (2 wheels) still won't be allowed on them.

That is correct and no more center lane U-turns and odd connecting roads. Of the 196 km highway to Korat, 4 sections will be elevated with an approximate length of 32.1 km:

- Over Saraburi Bypass Road or Highway 362 (7 km.)
- Over TPI's concession land in Kaeng Khoi District (5.5 km.)
- Khao Ta Paen hill area in Muak Lek District (2.3 km.)
- Over Mittraphap Road or Highway 2 next to Lam Takhong Dam in Sikhio District (17.3 km.)

But will they have crossroads with traffic lights for over 90 seconds every few km to let the tractors, old pickups and motorbikes cross, like every other “fast” road here? Why roads can’t have more flyovers and roundabouts and proper entry and exit slip roads I don’t know. 

This is all fine  and good but I wonder when-if ever- they will 'fix' the Asoke-Sukhumvit Intersection in Bangkok so traffic actually flows continuously.  One of the worst-if not the worst intersection in Thailand. It causes massive traffic congestion the whole length of Sukhumvit from Soi 1 to 103

41 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

But will they have crossroads with traffic lights for over 90 seconds every few km to let the tractors, old pickups and motorbikes cross, like every other “fast” road here? Why roads can’t have more flyovers and roundabouts and proper entry and exit slip roads I don’t know. 

Cost, simply cost, lives are cheap, flyovers and roundabouts aren't.  Don't get me started on Thai's and roundabouts........

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The scale of construction around the Saraburi bypass seem to suggest otherwise.

26910394_151931502261417_4133517252375881618_o.thumb.jpg.62457a19090b41c47a02b4a1229bcbc5.jpg

27798206_163584064429494_2907661980818527478_o.jpg

Once consumer debt hits the fan and the Thai banks tank, that's what all the current projects will look like 15 years later.  I'm pretty sure another 1997 moment isn't too far off into the future.  Thais live on credit.  It a recipe for problems.   :hit-the-fan:

6 hours ago, Thaidream said:

This is all fine  and good but I wonder when-if ever- they will 'fix' the Asoke-Sukhumvit Intersection in Bangkok so traffic actually flows continuously.  One of the worst-if not the worst intersection in Thailand. It causes massive traffic congestion the whole length of Sukhumvit from Soi 1 to 103

They already fixed it, but installing a human highway above Sukhumvit.

21 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

The  latest section of the No 7 which was completed after New Year would suggest they will. No crossings, no U turns and all entry/exits are as you would say 'proper'. Not only that it is free to use although I am not sure how long that will last, there is a price list, just all zero at the moment.

22 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

If you look at the route of the new highway to Korat it is cutting straight through open fields and use bridges over crossing roads, so no light and crossing tractors on the new highway system. 

Only downside is the the RTP is purchasing some VERY expensive $20,000 speed cameras.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

17 hours ago, connda said:

Once consumer debt hits the fan and the Thai banks tank, that's what all the current projects will look like 15 years later.  I'm pretty sure another 1997 moment isn't too far off into the future.  Thais live on credit.  It a recipe for problems.   :hit-the-fan:

Household debt is high, but so far both NPL and special mention loans (pre-NPL) are relative low.

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

On 3/2/2018 at 1:59 PM, canthai55 said:

Simple - $$$$

Well, yes. There are no free lunch. Below is what a drive from Bangkok to Korat will cost.

255 THB for 4 wheels vehicle (automobile, van and pick-up truck)
contain entry fee 10 THB, additional to 1.25 THB/Km

408 THB for 6 wheels vehicle (truck size)
contain entry fee 16 THB, additional to 2.00 THB/Km

and 587.48 THB for more than 6 wheels vehicle (truck and lorry size)
contain entry fee 23 THB, additional to 2.88 THB/Km 

On 3/2/2018 at 12:25 PM, possum1931 said:

Apart from Thailands dreadful road fatalities, this really upsets me. The authorities responsible for not allowing bigger bikes, ie over 250cc on some highways and flyovers, and force them to use the frontage roads is downright evil and bloody minded, that is why my motorbike trips from upcountry to Bangkok is severely restricted.

It is probably for the great good of humanity. Bikers have very little lane discipline here and cut around cars left, right and in between.

Still there are plenty of awesome mountain roads you can enjoy as a biker. 

45 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It is probably for the great good of humanity. Bikers have very little lane discipline here and cut around cars left, right and in between.

Still there are plenty of awesome mountain roads you can enjoy as a biker. 

I agree with your first paragraph, but as I said, it is sheer bloody mindedness from the authorities not allowing bigger bikes on these highways and flyovers. 

The experienced riders of the bigger bikes would cause no problem, and nobody would need to concern themselves about what you said in your first paragraph, besides, most riders do not buy motorbikes for just riding on mountain roads, they are a form of transport.

On 3/3/2018 at 10:29 AM, sandyf said:

The  latest section of the No 7 which was completed after New Year would suggest they will. No crossings, no U turns and all entry/exits are as you would say 'proper'. Not only that it is free to use although I am not sure how long that will last, there is a price list, just all zero at the moment.

Free from memory until after Songkran - April 19 or thereabouts

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Great find, got a url for it??

Mac

Check this one out. Once it's opened, click on the image for a full page spread.

https://assets.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2018_03/Moterwayinthailand.jpg.35b206f8ed4f1e6e184f010131a71684.jpg

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, topt said:

Free from memory until after Songkran - April 19 or thereabouts

Bringing in the tolls cut the traffic dramatically, never seen it so free from congestion. Price it too high and they could shoot themselves in the foot.

Even now quite often when we come back from Pattaya we will leave at the 36 junction and come up the service road. If we left Pattaya on Suk and came along the 36, it would be toll free and I suspect that is the way a lot of the provincial traffic will go.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Bringing in the tolls cut the traffic dramatically, never seen it so free from congestion. Price it too high and they could shoot themselves in the foot.

Even now quite often when we come back from Pattaya we will leave at the 36 junction and come up the service road. If we left Pattaya on Suk and came along the 36, it would be toll free and I suspect that is the way a lot of the provincial traffic will go.

The section of 7 from Chonburi through to 36 is currently very busy, as you said before it is free right now, it really can be a PITA to come off 7 on to 36, as the queues for the toll there can be be real bad, annoyingly most are not paying a toll, just handing the card in, I use this road a lot and have the easypass / mpass, so dive in to that lane.

I suspect that the sizing of the toll booths on the 7 / 36 junction (both directions) is based on losing a lot of the 36 traffic to the 7 extension when it opens.

A note to any who may have the easypass / mpass and do go on to the Nongprue toll on 7, if they want to go left for Nonprue, then be aware that this is hazardous, the pass toll booths are on the far right of the booths and the Nongprue exit is about 50m Pattaya side of the tolls on the far left, meaning that you have to drive diagonally across about 10 toll booths in that 50m, it ain't fun!

The whole plan for the traffic that does not wish to pay tolls is for them to use 36 from Sukhumvit and then the frontage roads left of the toll as 36 joins 7 BKK bound and reverse coming back.

• Like 1