Zebra crossings: Calls for motorists to be jailed 3 months/fined 5,000 baht for collisions

webfact

Zebra crossings: Calls for motorists to be jailed 3 months/fined 5,000 baht for collisions

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The campaign to promote use of zebra crossings that kicked off in Bangkok at the end of last week has called for more severe punishments for motorists involved in collisions that occur on the crossings.

The anti drink drive foundation and the Culture Ministry initiative said that 1 month jail and 1,000 baht was not enough of a deterrent. This should be 3 months and 5,000 baht in the future.

The meeting at the Mercure Fortune Hotel heard that accidents involving pedestrians was up 163% from 2015 to 2016.

There were 1,621 incidents in the capital in 2016 compared to 615 the previous year.

There was just one death on a zebra crossing at Asoke in 2014, the meeting was told.

In total there are 1,112 zebra crossings in Bangkok, 715 of which have flashing beacons reported Daily News.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-12
  • Like 2

i am not a fan of ever changing laws from day to day...depending on incidents.

and even than you can put half bangkok  and 90% of pattaya drivers to monkeyhouse

and even they inforce all only temporary

....better would be a change in the head of thais

Cars/Motorbikes are not a wargun .......... and they have a brake ( what when you use, you dont loose face ) !!!!!!!!!!!

their must be a change of beahviour, education and mentality

Since my  early days in Thailand, i quickly realized that the zebra crossing in this country is a privilege and 

not your right, judging buy the dodge'me games pedestrians are playing with for their lives with careless drivers everyday and every hour...

Edited by ezzra

Really? Come on,even at the maincrossing at soi 4 sukhmvit, the walk sigh turns green so all the lights must be red leading onto it still vehicles try to get through the usually huge crowd of pedestrians crossing. One would think this would be a good spot to position a Police man,yet i have never seen one there.The closest i came to seeing that was when one drove his bike on the wrong side of the road nearby!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

But the police will still not actually put anyone in jail. They just go to court and the fine reduced because they are "poor". Thais realize there are no real consequences for careless driving. 

I think you may mean because they are rich. No, wait. Your're right. The rich wouldn't even go to court.:smile:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Since my  early days in Thailand, i quickly realized that the zebra crossing in this country is a privilege and 

not your right, judging buy the dodge'me games pedestrians are playing with for their lives with careless drivers everyday and every hour...

Not helped by statements from the police; some graduate exchange students (appro. 24 to 30 yo) shocked at cars etc., not stopping at zebra crossing, asked the Thai students what the law is in Thailand about this matter, some responses from the Thai students:

- There is no law, the white lines are just there to make the road system look professional.

- Up to the driver.

- and more.

One student called her uncle, a senior cop, and asked him for an answer about the laws involved.

His response was; 'well by the law all vehicles do have to stop when they see people waiting to cross or in the process of crossing and wait until the pedestrians safely reach the other side, but it would be better if pedestrians just waited until there's a big break in the traffic and then cross, so they don't disrupt the traffic flow'.

In other words forget the actual laws. 

Another time there was a senior cop in the class, same question, his answer; 'the law says that nothing can be allowed to stop the flow of traffic'. Exchange student; 'but what about the rights of people walking?', cops answer 'cars are more important than people'. The Thai students (in this program all students speak very advanced to native speaker English) were shocked at the cops answer and they told him so. He never appeared again, he dropped the program.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I simply ignore zebra crossings.

They are highly dangerous for pedestrians because stopping for a zebra means a huge loss of face.

Edited by hansnl

I have stopped a few times to allow pedestrians to cross, only to have other motorists race on by me.

I had wondered whether I was lulling the pedestrians into a false sense of security. But no, they were wiser than me and waved me on!

Basically, zebra crossings are waste of paint, both here and in most countries in the developing world.

The only two places in Asia I know of where they are affective are Singapore and Hong Kong.

Colonial influence maybe?

• Like 1

I agree with fining drivers for not stopping at controlled zebra crossings. Beach rd is a perfect example, just about all the crossings are light controlled and I stop for the lights but many don't and race thru the crosswalks and not Thai bashing but most offenders are Thai. The police should be monitering these and fining offenders. I have had people stopped behind me honking there horn for me to move and a couple of occasions try to force me to proceed thru. F them.

59 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I have stopped a few times to allow pedestrians to cross, only to have other motorists race on by me.

I had wondered whether I was lulling the pedestrians into a false sense of security. But no, they were wiser than me and waved me on!

Basically, zebra crossings are waste of paint, both here and in most countries in the developing world.

The only two places in Asia I know of where they are affective are Singapore and Hong Kong.

Colonial influence maybe?

Waste of paint! What paint? All over Thailand they are either worn out or have become dark grey.

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Is this the winning photo of a car stopped at the pedestrian crossing? 

In the photo, the car and motorcycles stopped because the traffic light was red for them.

For pedestrians Zebra crossings and traffic light crossings are booby traps here in LOS and you are at lethal risk if using them they afford you no protection as seen in the 2015 vid in op, always look both ways and wait until the road is clear, even then keep very alert as expect the unexpected... 

4 hours ago, Gudge said:

I agree with fining drivers for not stopping at controlled zebra crossings. Beach rd is a perfect example, just about all the crossings are light controlled and I stop for the lights but many don't and race thru the crosswalks and not Thai bashing but most offenders are Thai. The police should be monitering these and fining offenders. I have had people stopped behind me honking there horn for me to move and a couple of occasions try to force me to proceed thru. F them.

Cops should know the locations where people ignore the lights, and these locations should be priority for cameras and auto fines. 

• Like 1

The problem with zebra crossing in Thailand is that they are often at busy roads with 3 or 4 lanes in each direction where many people drive 80kmh+. How can anybody expect this to work here in Thailand? And if 80% of the crossing don't work then the 20% that could theoretically work won't work as well because everybody thinks they are useless.

• Like 2