Build Home Office PC or Buy?

JaiMaai

I'm thinking about getting a desktop pc to set up at home. This will be used only for basic Internet stuff and some Microsoft Office applications. It certainly won't be getting used for any gaming.  I'm looking at prices and even buying a basic processor, motherboard, RAM, case & PSU and storage, I can't get the price below about 12,000 baht. 

This is using onboard graphics and sound  I would add these as an upgrade later if I needed them.

Looking at places such as InvadeIT or Advice, I can buy similarly spec'd towers at a similar price.

So, what is the consenus these days? Can costs really be saved by a self-build these days or is only really an advantage if you really need a custom, build?

Having built my own desktop computer several years ago, you will be hard pressed to build a complete working system today for anywhere near 12000 baht. Using quality CPU, MB, RAM PSU, HDD and/or SSD components the cost would probably be closer to 20,000+.  Then there are other components often overlooked DVD/CD drive, keyboard, optical mouse, extra case cooling fans and don't forget the monitor and cables.

Personally, for a home desktop, I would recommend you consider a gaming computer. They are built with higher-quality components, more RAM and storage plus they can do everything home computers do, provide better high-quality video streaming and are future upgrades are possible. 

I suggest going to Lazada's website and do some research. You may find an affordable system that meets your requirements. 

@tweedledee2

Thanks for the input.  Sundry items such as a keyboard, mouse and monitor, I have already.  I can also do without an optical drive (probably).  I was just surprised at the cost to build an absolutely basic functional system, not necessarily a useable one.  When I priced up the system I would like to have; my costs were over 30,000 (looking solely at the JIB website).

Building my own system was intended to be a project for when I have some free time in the next couple of months but I may just end up buying one.

at the cost for an absolutely basic system. 

14 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

@tweedledee2

Thanks for the input.  Sundry items such as a keyboard, mouse and monitor, I have already.  I can also do without an optical drive (probably).  I was just surprised at the cost to build an absolutely basic functional system, not necessarily a useable one.  When I priced up the system I would like to have; my costs were over 30,000 (looking solely at the JIB website).

Building my own system was intended to be a project for when I have some free time in the next couple of months but I may just end up buying one.

I have build countless computers professionally and as a advanced user. Its real hard to get the price real low. I always found the only reason to build a computer myself was to make sure I had the right specifications for what I wanted to use it for and to put in quality parts. It was not to save money because many of the pre builds could be cheaper but with worse components.

Building a computer is not really a project you can complete one in a few hours (depending how fast you work and how many times you have done it) The building itself is not that hard (goes slower if its your first time and then it takes time reading up on things.

In Thailand I have even (when i was in a rush) just bought the components and let an IT shop assemble it. IMHO the guys are quite good at it. Unlike many people I do trust Thais, and after its build they show you all the components and go in the bios and computer to show everything works and the components are there.

The reason to build your own is to enjoy the thrill of the build and/or to get specific components.  To build your own to save money is not really a valid reason.

I've gone from decades of building all my own computers to currently using a Microsoft Surface Pro with a docking station.

On 13/03/2018 at 6:56 PM, JaiMaai said:

@tweedledee2

Built many myself over the years, my present one guess was the last self build, my fingers and eyes are not what they used to be.. anyway most places will build what you want for 300 baht labour. [asked already]

The main reason for self build for me..... will need a new PC soon, but have 3 x 1 TB internal Hard drives the last clown to 'C' drive is 6 months old.... less than a year old is a new R7 Graphics card, and a couple of months ago had to buy a new 750 w Power supply.. my 40" monitor was new in December.. 

Not sure where this 12,000 baht comes from ??  plenty of basic Pc's for well under that   https://www.advice.co.th/product/desktop-pc

Edit: if it makes any difference,  every since my 1st Home PC in the early 90's always had/built AMD, even laptops were AMD never had or used a Intel machine.

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, tweedledee2 said:

Having built my own desktop computer several years ago, you will be hard pressed to build a complete working system today for anywhere near 12000 baht. Using quality CPU, MB, RAM PSU, HDD and/or SSD components the cost would probably be closer to 20,000+.  Then there are other components often overlooked DVD/CD drive, keyboard, optical mouse, extra case cooling fans and don't forget the monitor and cables.

Personally, for a home desktop, I would recommend you consider a gaming computer. They are built with higher-quality components, more RAM and storage plus they can do everything home computers do, provide better high-quality video streaming and are future upgrades are possible. 

I suggest going to Lazada's website and do some research. You may find an affordable system that meets your requirements. 

There is no point in buying a Gaming PC is you don't play games!

The biggest part of the price difference for a gaming PC is the graphic card, which is in the moment even more expensive because of Bitcoin, etc.

These expensive graphic cards have no advantage at all for every day computing. They just need more power and get hotter (if stressed) so they need a better power supply, etc.

Also BIG hard disks are not necessary for every day computing. If the OP needs more RAM or storage that can be easily added to most PCs.

Recently I bought lots of Intel NUC for offices.

Buy the NUC, add SDD and RAM (done in 5min) and it's ready to go.

http://www.jetcom.co.th/คอมพิวเตอร์เครื่องประกอบ/ComputerBrand/INTEL-NUC-7I3BNH-I3-7100U-240.html

This is not for gaming but it is perfectly fine for everyday computing.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:41 AM, robblok said:

I have build countless computers professionally and as a advanced user. Its real hard to get the price real low. I always found the only reason to build a computer myself was to make sure I had the right specifications for what I wanted to use it for and to put in quality parts. It was not to save money because many of the pre builds could be cheaper but with worse components.

this.jpg.2c97db9f79cd44064de8006cadebea6c.jpg

Exactly. I want known-good quality stuff: notably I want a high quality power supply, mainboard, and case. Good case will easily last through multiple builds, run cool, have easily cleaned fan filters, and be pleasant to work with. I like everything I have and feel good about it. And it's 100% reliable. If I had some Acer, it'd work but I'd always be thinking it's really a piece of crap.

I'd add maintainability and upgradeability. Proprietary PCs often use proprietary parts & connectors. Off-the-shelf easily found and any shop can make repairs as needed. 

In Thailand I have even (when i was in a rush) just bought the components and let an IT shop assemble it. IMHO the guys are quite good at it. Unlike many people I do trust Thais, and after its build they show you all the components and go in the bios and computer to show everything works and the components are there.

Right. I'll let them do it out of boredom from having done quite a few. It's Leggo, innit? Maybe watch, check it all out before I sign off. Take it home and maybe improve the cable management or wait until I need to go into the case next time and do something. Most of the time though I'm not building an entire machine but just upgrading an old one. Not worth carrying the case anywhere.

16 hours ago, JSixpack said:

this.jpg.2c97db9f79cd44064de8006cadebea6c.jpg

Exactly. I want known-good quality stuff: notably I want a high quality power supply, mainboard, and case. Good case will easily last through multiple builds, run cool, have easily cleaned fan filters, and be pleasant to work with. I like everything I have and feel good about it. And it's 100% reliable. If I had some Acer, it'd work but I'd always be thinking it's really a piece of crap.

I'd add maintainability and upgradeability. Proprietary PCs often use proprietary parts & connectors. Off-the-shelf easily found and any shop can make repairs as needed. 

Right. I'll let them do it out of boredom from having done quite a few. It's Leggo, innit? Maybe watch, check it all out before I sign off. Take it home and maybe improve the cable management or wait until I need to go into the case next time and do something. Most of the time though I'm not building an entire machine but just upgrading an old one. Not worth carrying the case anywhere.

Yes after you build a few PC's then its not fun anymore. It is indeed just Leggo, did make some mistakes in the past. Before they did not have a separate CPU power so I was not used to connect that and the computer would not start. That was funny and not a big problem. I think the main problems for self build are that you need to order components that fit. Sometimes certain memory types won't work with certain motherboards. I

IMHO ordering the right parts is harder then the actual assembly. Though you do need to be a bit careful at times (not bending processor pins and so on. I have seen people trying to get an AMD processor in an Intel motherboard, some people don't stop when it does not fit but use force. 

On 16-3-2018 at 9:35 AM, ignis said:

Built many myself over the years, my present one guess was the last self build, my fingers and eyes are not what they used to be.. anyway most places will build what you want for 300 baht labour. [asked already]

The main reason for self build for me..... will need a new PC soon, but have 3 x 1 TB internal Hard drives the last clown to 'C' drive is 6 months old.... less than a year old is a new R7 Graphics card, and a couple of months ago had to buy a new 750 w Power supply.. my 40" monitor was new in December.. 

Not sure where this 12,000 baht comes from ??  plenty of basic Pc's for well under that   https://www.advice.co.th/product/desktop-pc

Edit: if it makes any difference,  every since my 1st Home PC in the early 90's always had/built AMD, even laptops were AMD never had or used a Intel machine.

I used to go for AMD too, did buy an itel recently and it was faster (also more expensive so that was to be expected). The reason was I wanted to use it for Virtual reality, the Occulus rift likes I7 for some games. So i got that. Can't say I have a problem with it intel is just faster at some things but you pay for it. Not sure if you pay the same amount for an AMD if it will be faster. In this case I just chose it because of the VR 

1 minute ago, JSixpack said:

Thanks, in general I don't have problems buying stuff that is compatible. But if you havent build a computer for a while its good to refresh the knowledge a bit. I did once buy an certain kind of SSD (not the standard ones) that was not compatible with the slot my motherboard had. It was ll just new and not much information to be found. Luckily invade IT took it back and i bought a new m2x4 ssd that worked. 

compatible, it is not always straight forward...   

Normal so so run of the mill Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

16GB DDR4 / 256GB SSD+1TB

GeForce GTX1060 3GB GDDR5

Why not the AMD's own Radeon RX580 4GB GDDR5   ??

Archived