Passenger complains of dangerously overcrowded Airport Rail Link

snoop1130

On 3/15/2018 at 10:11 AM, shady86 said:

Problem is not overcrowding but jokers who like to stand near doors, blocking people from getting in and out of trains. Instead of putting tons of advertisements, they should put more videos and announcements teaching people to use trains correctly.

I've often noticed on both the Rail Link and the BTS, it is most often foreigners, especially large family groups that cluster at the doors, oblivious to other passengers trying to get around them.  Thais are generally pretty good about moving inside the trains.

Urban planners learned in the 1970's that the more multi-lane highways they built, the more cars filled them up. This also seems to apply to urban rail transit. When I first rode the BTS in 2002, you could get a seat any time at any stop.

The explosive growth of housing along rail corridors feeds new passengers onto the system every day.  Even if they were to put five car trains on these lines tomorrow, they would probably be just as crowded as they are now within a year or two.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, Thian said:

Well i remember that case of last year where that airportlink broke down and the passengers were left in it for a very long time, some even passed out...and there wasn't any help coming...if i was in that train getting cooked i sure would kick a window out...

"Well i remember that case of last year where that airportlink broke down and the passengers were left in it for a very long time, some even passed out...and there wasn't any help coming..."

The passengers weren't left "for a very long time", one person fainted and help was coming.

"...if i was in that train getting cooked i sure would kick a window out..."

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, Zyxel said:

I know some Thai people who leave near Ban Tap Chang station and take the train every morning to go to work in Bangkok. Now with so much people waiting on the platform at rush hours, they board the not so crowded train going to Suvarnabhumi (opposite direction), stay on board the train at the airport and wait for it to go back to Bangkok.

Really?  Passengers have to leave the train at the airport while cleaners/security/whatever give it a quick once-over, they cannot remain on board.

On 15/03/2018 at 1:43 PM, possum1931 said:

I think it is more of a case of not trusting the taxi drivers.

I would love to be able to take a taxi now and again when I am in Bangkok, but I

stand by what I say, there are too many of them who cannot be trusted.

42 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Really?  Passengers have to leave the train at the airport while cleaners/security/whatever give it a quick once-over, they cannot remain on board.

I imagine they can step off the train and then back on again when cleaners/security/whatever have done their stuff. Clever, um?

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:51 PM, Thian said:

I would break the window within a few minutes...i won't wait for help from a thai cause i don't trust them at all....

What the hell are doing here in Thailand then?

Half the problem are that people are simply not enlightened and considerate enough to take off their backpacks and especially put down their phones!! That phone sticking out of people's head could be another person. The zombies are so rude, the smokers of the 21st century.

Another issue on the MRT is using public transportation with huge suitcases during rush hour. When I see people struggling, I just couldn't care less. Idiots should be in a taxi. Yes, especially the airport link was built in theory for travelers but the reality is such that commuters need the space more and use it more efficiently. All rail transport needs to add cars and remove seats. Until then keep your two 23kg hard suitcases off the rail transport.

Airport link - totally broken. BTS - nearly broken, ticketing process is insane as well as the anarchy in the stations.

Phone zombies, absolutely loathe them. We could get another 20-5% more people on the MRT without these brain dead losers. They're never reading or sending email, just mindless flicking or games.

It's a 40 minute ride end to end, max no matter what rail you're on. Stand up, suck it up, be polite and respectful to fellow passengers. Don't talk on your damn phone because you are lonely. Finally dress appropriately. No one wants to rub up to your sweaty falang skin or see your big, fat saggy tits hanging out.

OH, and queue up - don't jump the queue, you're not special in fact quite the opposite as you're late for work (again)! No, I don't care if you're pretty, in fact, I care less.

TLDR: 20-30% more people in the cars, better commuting experience simply by not acting like childish and selfish idiots.

Ban internet mobile signals in stations or at least in tunnels!! No brainier.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:20 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Only traveling one station on the BTS is ridiculous. Why not just walk or take a motorbike if the tourists and parents with strollers anger you so much?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well, you know the answer, Thais don't walk and honestly you can't expect a woman in makeup and heels to walk distances, especially in this heat.

I do walk, even after a day of working on my feet, I often walk one and sometimes two stops with my laptop and shopping. It's good for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I would love to be able to take a taxi now and again when I am in Bangkok, but I

stand by what I say, there are too many of them who cannot be trusted.

I have taken taxis in Bangkok four or five times a week for the last 12 years and have rarely had any issues with a driver. If a driver doesn't want to go where I want to go, it's annoying but not a big deal; another taxi will be along. Same with a driver quoting a flat rate...just close the door and get the next one.

5 minutes ago, dddave said:

I have taken taxis in Bangkok four or five times a week for the last 12 years and have rarely had any issues with a driver. If a driver doesn't want to go where I want to go, it's annoying but not a big deal; another taxi will be along. Same with a driver quoting a flat rate...just close the door and get the next one.

Good point............... childish, I know, but I leave the door open..

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

".just close the door and get the next one".  Yes and the chances are they will be just as bad as the last one.

When I am in Bangkok, I just use buses, BTS, MRT, or just walk, anything except use a taxi.

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I imagine they can step off the train and then back on again when cleaners/security/whatever have done their stuff. Clever, um?

Wasn't the point of staying to have a seat?   Once they leave the train they then have to join the back of the queue of passengers already waiting to board that train.  Clever, eh?

52 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Wasn't the point of staying to have a seat?   Once they leave the train they then have to join the back of the queue of passengers already waiting to board that train.  Clever, eh?

It's no big deal, I've had to do this occasionally coming home from work. Even in rush hour you should get a seat and obviously it allows safety check and disallows homeless from living in the trains.

I just took the 1330 from BKK to Makkasan.  It was standing room only and elbow to elbow.  I thought the midday trains would not be crowded.  I was wrong. I took the ARL back in 2013 at about the same time it was about half empty.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
grammar

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

I just took the 1330 from BKK to Makkasan.  It was standing room only and elbow to elbow.  I thought the midday trains would not be crowded.  I was wrong. I took the ARL back in 2013 at about the same time it was about half empty.  

Since 2013 until now the daily pax numbers have grown from around 35-40k a day to 70k a day now. Basically doubled. Hence the acute need for more rolling stock. 

On 3/14/2018 at 4:51 PM, Thian said:

I would break the window within a few minutes...i won't wait for help from a thai cause i don't trust them at all....

Well it was Thai people who smashed the window so maybe now you can start to trust them

• Like 1

Ironic timing given the above comments but there was reportedly another breakdown yesterday. I was actually at the airport around lunchtime for a mtg and was surprised at the number of pax lined up for tickets at that time. 

Edited by Lakegeneve

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, grego49 said:

The airport link is there for  mainly for tourists to get from Phaya Thai to the airport,if locals arnt happy catch a bus.

It wouldn't be financially viable with only airport passengers. They need to add extra carriages but won't because they are greedy. They don't care if passengers suffer as long as they don't spend more money.

In London, the tubes are a nightmare of crowding at peak times, but they can't add carriages. In Bkk there is space for another carriage on the skytrain.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2018 at 3:53 PM, Letseng said:

Never have a taxi problem. Nhave no sympathy for whinging tourists. And btw "quality tourists" use limo service not Bts or taxi.

What absolute nonsense.  What qualification do you use to define "quality tourists" and the transport they should be using?
All quality tourists use a limo service? Ridiculous assumption

• Like 1