Want to know what's wrong with today's youth?

PhonThong

When I was younger maybe just 30 years ago even. Parents would give their kids a spanking or a whooping if you will. I am not talking about child abuse. Just a good old smack on the backside if warranted. But,  alas along comes the government telling parents how to raise their kids. 

This is what you get.    

Is that VDO for real? Who was using the camera?

I don't doubt that it happens, but that looks like a set up.

Every day I thank the deity I never had any children. One catastrophe I managed to avoid, more by good luck than any plan.

When the government starts telling parents they can't smack their children it's time to either not have any or hand them over to the government to raise.

NB smacking is not cruel and unusual punishment, it is child training.

Assault is what they used on us at school when I was young, and it is right that they stopped it.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I have to say I disagree with smacking children - and I have two children of my own.

When I look back at my childhood I had the living daylight beaten out of me on numerous occaisions. It didn't do any good at all, other than to show me that being violent to children doesn't work.

If beating children does work, why do you have to keep doing it?

13 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

If they cry, just beat them until they learn better.

When I was a young kid I can always remember my mother saying "If your going to cry I'll give you something to cry about".

That usually was enough to shut me up.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

I have to say I disagree with smacking children - and I have two children of my own.

When I look back at my childhood I had the living daylight beaten out of me on numerous occaisions. It didn't do any good at all, other than to show me that being violent to children doesn't work.

Ah some people think about the good old days.. when everything was better. 

Anyway I don't agree with beating children it certainly never helped me.. real punishment like taking away computer time or other stuff was far worse. A beating (and my parents never went over the top) was done the moment the beating ended.. real punishment lasted longer and it kept me better in line.

11 hours ago, blackcab said:

From my childhood, the good kids didn't get beaten, the naughty ones did.

While it wasn't pleasant, children were on the whole far better behaved back then than they are now.

Pendulums and all that. It's gone from corporal punishment and polite kids to no corporal punishment and feral kids behaving badly.

There has to be a balance somewhere.

• Like 1

I myself don't condone beating a child. But, a tap on the butt is a good reminder that their behavior isn't acceptable. I too believe punishment is the way to go. 

The video isn't showing any type of parenting. It is showing the kids making the rules. Totally unacceptable. Most Asian families don't condone spanking children either. But, I can a attest from personal experience that it does happen. Though never violent and never did me any harm. My parents were strict disciplinarians. But, a punishment was their favorite tool. Someday these children will be running the world. Hopefully, it is not a world without boundaries.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:35 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Is that VDO for real? Who was using the camera?

I don't doubt that it happens, but that looks like a set up.

Every day I thank the deity I never had any children. One catastrophe I managed to avoid, more by good luck than any plan.

When the government starts telling parents they can't smack their children it's time to either not have any or hand them over to the government to raise.

NB smacking is not cruel and unusual punishment, it is child training.

Assault is what they used on us at school when I was young, and it is right that they stopped it.

The gene pool thanks you.

So far as I'm aware, the British government doesn't tell people not to discipline their children physically. I'm a Brit, and if that was my kid, she'd have got a smack in full view of the general public - to be honest it wouldn't *be* one of my kids, because they already would have known this behaviour is way across the line.

I'm not talking a 'beating', just a swift sharp clip across the calves or across the knuckles - I think I've done it probably less than 5 times in total and my kid wouldn't even get *close* to this sort of behaviour.

My five year old has smacked my knuckles more times, usually for my potty mouth.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

9 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

So far as I'm aware, the British government doesn't tell people not to discipline their children physically. I'm a Brit, and if that was my kid, she'd have got a smack in full view of the general public - to be honest it wouldn't *be* one of my kids, because they already would have known this behaviour is way across the line.

I'm not talking a 'beating', just a swift sharp clip across the calves or across the knuckles - I think I've done it probably less than 5 times in total and my kid wouldn't even get *close* to this sort of behaviour.

My five year old has smacked my knuckles more times, usually for my potty mouth.

Ever think what they will do to you when you are old , weak, grumpy and ill?

10 hours ago, franckfranck said:

Ever think what they will do to you when you are old , weak, grumpy and ill?

No, and it's a very daft question. I've had a clip round the ear from most members of my family at one point or another in my life, and we all get along just fine. We also don't end up in situations like the family in the video.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd