Australia admit ball tampering in third test against South Africa

16 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

it is not the ball tampering that is the problem

Australia has a committee to plan cheating and Smith didn't seem to have a problem with it!!!

making a rookie carry it out is un Australian

I agree with you, it's the cheating side of it that's disgraceful.

I see Smith has already been sacked as captain from his IPL side.

I cannot see Smith and Warner ever captaining any sides again.

From what I've read today, it was Warner & Smith who came up with

the plan and they then put it on Bancroft.

Bancroft should've know better though.

Lehman has to go as well. He has condoned a lot of this behaviour.

To be replaced by Justin Langer or Ricky Ponting.

I've lost all interest in the next test TBH.

Still gutted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Bancroft should've know better though

Squadron Leader Smith approached Flying Officer Bancroft for a special black ops mission.   The young man only recently got his wings and was keen to prove his mettle, irrespective of any personal dangers.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 10:52 AM, Cats4ever said:

I am shocked and deeply ashamed that an Aussie Test team could include people who would even consider doing something like this. It will take a long time before we stop being tainted by it. This is cheating, as opposed to gamesmanship.

It's premeditated cheating. Intentionally, and with careful planning, aiming to deliberately cheat and avoid any detection.

Amazing that Smith is so arrogant he's trying to keep the captaincy. No sense of shame, decency or seemingly right from wrong.

I can't imagine the majority of Aussies would feel anything but disgust.

Fine line between cheating and gamesmanship sometimes. But this is nowhere near that line. Simply planned blatant cheating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

I agree with you, it's the cheating side of it that's disgraceful.

I see Smith has already been sacked as captain from his IPL side.

I cannot see Smith and Warner ever captaining any sides again.

From what I've read today, it was Warner & Smith who came up with

the plan and they then put it on Bancroft.

Bancroft should've know better though.

Lehman has to go as well. He has condoned a lot of this behaviour.

To be replaced by Justin Langer or Ricky Ponting.

I've lost all interest in the next test TBH.

Still gutted.

Sorry to say this but it seems institutionalized. So it would be naieve to think this was the only incident. How many previous occasions have they got away with? How many important matches were won because of cheating?

And if Australian cricket is doing this, what about Aussie teams in other sports? The Wallabies were accused of bugging All Blacks hotel rooms. Horwill thuggishly stamped on Alun Wyn Jones head deliberately during a Lions tour few years ago - and got away with it despite to inquiries. 

That's the problem when a rotten apple is discovered. You have to check the whole barrel and are wary in future.

The perps should be banned for life. But more likely slapped writs, lots of contrition and hope it blows over eventually.

On 25/03/2018 at 10:52 AM, Cats4ever said:

I am shocked and deeply ashamed that an Aussie Test team could include people who would even consider doing something like this. It will take a long time before we stop being tainted by it. This is cheating, as opposed to gamesmanship.

Yes, every one of us is tainted by this which is totally against the Australian way. Cricket Australia should forfeit the game bring them home, sack all that were involved, demand they return their baggy green and never to play for Australia again. 

Also rescind their contracts and refuse to pay any outstanding monies. 

Absolutely disgraceful. 

I would prefer our team lost every match rather than cheat, try explaining what you did to your children. 

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Sorry to say this but it seems institutionalized. So it would be naieve to think this was the only incident. How many previous occasions have they got away with? How many important matches were won because of cheating?

And if Australian cricket is doing this, what about Aussie teams in other sports? The Wallabies were accused of bugging All Blacks hotel rooms. Horwill thuggishly stamped on Alun Wyn Jones head deliberately during a Lions tour few years ago - and got away with it despite to inquiries. 

That's the problem when a rotten apple is discovered. You have to check the whole barrel and are wary in future.

The perps should be banned for life. But more likely slapped writs, lots of contrition and hope it blows over eventually.

A bit of a stretch I would've though.

Two or three peanuts have been caught cheating.

No need to throw a blanket accusation over other Aussie teams.

Hansie Cronje,  Herschelle Gibbs, Marlon Samuels, and host of others

including Mike Atherton have been associated with it.

Jonathan Trott said they  (England) used cough lollies to shine the ball in an Ashes

series years ago. Rahul Dravid convicted of it as well.

There were accusations that the All Blacks were poisoned before the 1995 rugby WC.

I'm not making a case for the Aussies and they will get their comeuppance, but let's not

pick out a few isolated incidents.

I'm sure most countries have had "incidents" that they aren't too proud of.

Would be a good time now for the ICC to stick their necks out and decide on one cricket ball manufacturer for all test matches.The old Compo's we used on cement decks with astro turf would suit all.:smile:

Something good has to come of this not just in fines and suspensions but to keep the game moving forward without having to resort to this behaviour.The ICC needs to understand why it's happening,the boundary is now bought in with padding around it.Sure makes for better viewing with all the sliding and inside/outside catches but it's made most sides resort to throwing the ball into the pitch to scuff it up or ball tampering as everyone calls it,

Think ICC think. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Would be a good time now for the ICC to stick their necks out and decide on one cricket ball manufacturer for all test matches.The old Compo's we used on cement decks with astro turf would suit all.:smile:

Something good has to come of this not just in fines and suspensions but to keep the game moving forward without having to resort to this behaviour.The ICC needs to understand why it's happening,the boundary is now bought in with padding around it.Sure makes for better viewing with all the sliding and inside/outside catches but it's made most sides resort to throwing the ball into the pitch to scuff it up or ball tampering as everyone calls it,

Think ICC think.

What is ball tampering?

All fielding sides do their bit to change the ball. Rubbing just one side on their strides. Running fingers through heavilly gelled hair and rubbing the gel into the ball. Lifting the seam with a thumbnail every delivery. Deliberalely throwing the ball into the dirt. Deliberately standing on the ball.

I think the line is overstepped when an alien object (to the game) is used; sandpaper, pen knife, sand/soil (Atherton) etc,,,...

Edited by owl sees all

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

What is ball tampering?

All fielding sides do their bit to change the ball. Rubbing just one side on their strides. Running fingers through heavilly gelled hair and rubbing the gel into the ball. Lifting the seam with a thumbnail every delivery. Deliberalely throwing the ball into the dirt. Deliberately standing on the ball.

I think the line is overstepped when an alien object (to the game) is used; sandpaper, pen knife, soil (Atherton) etc,,,

Agreed.

What i've learnt out of this is Mum would of been happier doing the washing if all that shining that used to go on is pointless unless the other side is scuffed:smile:

• Like 2

So now that CA is in the process of weeding out all the cheats perhaps they might also do something about the over aggressive, boorish and bullying behavior that is so much apart of this thoroughly dislikable Australian side?  A side that likes to dish it out going way over the top, and cries when they get it back, and a coach that holds press conferences telling fans to send Broad home crying and just recently starts bleating about things said by the South African crowd.  

Bunch of hypocritical cheating pussies.  I'd rather lose every game than win like a cheat.  The facts are, that aside of being cheats, this side doesn't play in the spirit of the game, be it the foul mouthed dwarf Warner and his abusive sledging or clapping dismissed batsman off the pitch in 2015

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

Bob Willis makes some good points and hasn't gone overboard like a lot of other journo's who are baying for blood.

LEHMANN LUCKY TO SURVIVE
Former British cricketer Bob Willis isn't buying Lehmann's non involvement.

I find it remarkable Lehmann didn't know about this and he's been exonerated. The reputation of Australia has gone down and down under his and Smith's watch? I find it almost unbelievable. Lehmann is lucky to survive. Clearly there will be severe sanctions; they’re being exiled, sent home straight away. You wouldn’t envy them getting off the plane in Australia. Whether they will speak or not, I doubt it. He’s lucky to get off scott free. Surely the head coach has to be part of a leadership group. I find it almost unbelievable. He is very lucky to survive. They have been a bad tempered bunch for 18 months. Personally think it would be sufficient to be stripped of captaincy, they’re important players for Australia. Others have been found guilt of ball tampering and not had severe fines or suspensions. I hope they consider the future of Australian cricket when they hand out the penalty. The last thing you want is test cricketers to start defecting, we need the best players playing Test cricket.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Bob Willis makes some good points and hasn't gone overboard like a lot of other journo's who are baying for blood.

LEHMANN LUCKY TO SURVIVE
Former British cricketer Bob Willis isn't buying Lehmann's non involvement.

I find it remarkable Lehmann didn't know about this and he's been exonerated. The reputation of Australia has gone down and down under his and Smith's watch? I find it almost unbelievable. Lehmann is lucky to survive. Clearly there will be severe sanctions; they’re being exiled, sent home straight away. You wouldn’t envy them getting off the plane in Australia. Whether they will speak or not, I doubt it. He’s lucky to get off scott free. Surely the head coach has to be part of a leadership group. I find it almost unbelievable. He is very lucky to survive. They have been a bad tempered bunch for 18 months. Personally think it would be sufficient to be stripped of captaincy, they’re important players for Australia. Others have been found guilt of ball tampering and not had severe fines or suspensions. I hope they consider the future of Australian cricket when they hand out the penalty. The last thing you want is test cricketers to start defecting, we need the best players playing Test cricket.

Yes good points but at the end of the day none of us want cheats. And whilst i feel it correct that Lehman has been given the benefit of doubt theres a lot to answer for under his watch in terms of the general behaviour of this bunch.  It falls well short of sportsmanlike and they come across as a conceited arrogant group.  They made themselves so easy to dislike its just added to the feeding frenzy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radar501 said:

Welcome home boys, we're so proud of you.   Here's your ticker tape parade.

A couple of points here worth considering Radar.

Will Smith, even though he is averaging over 60 (and could be second to the great Don by the end of his career) be remembered more for this awful, cheating incident. In fact, just like England's Beckham**, who will always be remembered for doing his best to lose us the world cup by being stupid.

I have found out that the actual tape used was made in China; of all places. It was a highly sticky tape and was being used by the cheaters to remove dust from the ball.

** There is still a noose (a-waiting) dangling from a high post in Northumberland Park (North london). All the ones that were on the street lamp-posts have long gone; unfortunately.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

Personally can't wait for the 4th test to start so people can talk about something else and move on.

Found it strange they have brought in Maxwell,Burns and Renshaw,Thought Handscombe might get another crack.

Have they names the side?

Maybe Burns will be 12th man?

Just seen Smith and Lehman on the BBC. Cry babies both of them; what has Australia come to? Lehman has now resigned as well.

Weren't the bowlers in on this too? Did they not notice the ball roughed up? If they didn't, what was the point of tampering  with it in the first place? If they did notice, surely they must be disciplined too.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, champers said:

Just seen Smith and Lehman on the BBC. Cry babies both of them; what has Australia come to? Lehman has now resigned as well.

Weren't the bowlers in on this too? Did they not notice the ball roughed up? If they didn't, what was the point of tampering  with it in the first place? If they did notice, surely they must be disciplined too.

Other countries can spruke all they like.

ICC handed one match bans and CA one year bans.

Time for CA to take over the judicial system big noting themselves.