Buri Ram lottery vendors want GLO to directly sell lottery tickets in sets to the vendors

webfact

Buri Ram lottery vendors want GLO to directly sell lottery tickets in sets to the vendors

By Thai PBS

B9351FD1-D8F8-473F-B90D-AB180F0C02DD.jpe

Lottery vendors in Buri Ram are demanding that the Government Lottery Office sells lottery tickets in sets directly to the vendors instead of through the agents so that they can sell the tickets at 80 baht apiece.

The vendors complained that they were charged 92-95 baht apiece for set lottery tickets from the middlemen, which, they claimed, forced them to sell the tickets to the end buyers at 100 baht or more for a single ticket so they could make some profits to make a living.

One of the vendors, Mrs Nittaya Noiprom, told the media today (Sunday) that she was charged 1,600 baht for a set of ten tickets and she expected to sell the whole set at 2,200 baht.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/buri-ram-lottery-vendors-want-glo-directly-sell-lottery-tickets-sets-vendors/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-02

1 hour ago, webfact said:

instead of through the agents

These "middlemen" or "agents" are usually from wealthy, connected families, and, usually make vast sums of money each month, by purchasing lots of tickets from the Government, to sell on to the individual lottery vendors at inflated prices.

There is no way the Government will alter the system, and cut out these "connections", and sell direct to the working class vendors.  

• Like 2

Absolutely archaic way to run a lottery but then it does seem tailor made to benefit the rich who control it's operation. Small wonder that the electronic tickets have been delayed over a decade now if this is an example of the sums that can be creamed off.

4 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I thought the first thing the new military masters were going to do was restrict the "surcharge" on lottery tickets and clamp down on those "illegal" middlemen

But I guess it was another one of those we will get around to it promise

I have only found 1 place in Khampaeng Phet that sells lottery tickets at more than 80 baht and that was in the entrance to BigC. I refused to pay the price and the good news is that the tickets never came up.

I also found 1 place selling them at 78 baht, but everywhere else charges 80 baht.

So I guess they kept their promise in a lot of places.

When this was a hot item many months ago i checked the price at Ratchadaphisek and they were 120 baht a set....i told them the big general has said the price was 80 baht and they started laughing loud..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I have only found 1 place in Khampaeng Phet that sells lottery tickets at more than 80 baht and that was in the entrance to BigC. I refused to pay the price and the good news is that the tickets never came up.

I also found 1 place selling them at 78 baht, but everywhere else charges 80 baht.

So I guess they kept their promise in a lot of places.

It's the sets they charge more for, not the single tickets. I have seen sets containing up to 25 tickets with the same number (or at least the 3 last numbers) and as long as you have "lucky numbers" and people are buying sets with their lucky number then the sharks will exploit the system.
As gambling is illegal here the only legal way of gambling, the lottery, has turned to a surreal activity. I have Thai friends that spend 10-20,000Baht a month of their 30-50,000Bath salary just to buy lottery tickets and the most any of them have ever won is 100,000... less than they spent for a year before buying lottery tickets!?!?!?

• Like 1

Up till just the last month or so in the On Nut - Bang Chak area of BKK, lottery ticket booths/stands were selling for B80. The last few draws...B90! Despite many of them with big signs displaying B80 on the stand. On closer inspection now, many have small handwritten notes displaying B90 near the tickets. :post-4641-1156693976: