Trump to deploy National Guard troops to U.S.-Mexico border

webfact

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Um, the travel ban fell within the authority of the president as immigration is the responsibility of the president. Didn't the SCOTUS say it was legal in the end? 

Sanctuary cities are illegal, as state law cannot contradict federal law. I'm not aware that it has been before the court yet, though a court case is coming against California's sanctuary law.

He didn't, far as I know order any "ban" of DACA. he just let it lapse instead of renewing it. It was not a law, and a president is legally able to cancel an executive order made by a previous president, so he did nothing illegal. 

Trump has said he wants 4,000 national guardsmen deployed to the border. I'm certain that 4,000 troops is not 40% of the military. The courts have no justification to stop the troops going as previous presidents did the same thing.

In the end, they let about 60% of his third travel ban stay in place, after the vacated the first two. So two completely illegal bans overturned, and part of the third.

9th Circuit has struck down part of the sanctuary cities’ E.O., and yes, more to be litigated in future.

You are correct, he didn’t “ban” DACA, but he did try to kill it. His latest tweet on the subject declared “DACA is dead.” But it’s not...you’ll notice that his regulation ending it 5 March has long expired, and the courts ruled that it continues. Fox reporting, and Trump’s lack of knowledge on how laws and regulations work, notwithstanding...DACA lives.

Trump has stated twice that he wants the military all along the border to protect it. 4,000 troops working 12-hour shifts 7 days a week means just about one soldier per linear mile. Ok, given Trump’s incompetence, maybe he think that works. But think for a moment...if he can’t order the full-fledged armed wall, why has the military said it will take 40% of their troops to comply with that E.O.? It would be reasonable to assume they were given a heads-up from the WH. 

On on a similar subject, why did Trump say we’re pulling out of Syria the day after the military said we’re in Syria for the long haul? Not an illegal thing to do, but rather short-sighted, handing it over to the Russians.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, noahvail said:

In the end, they let about 60% of his third travel ban stay in place, after the vacated the first two. So two completely illegal bans overturned, and part of the third.

9th Circuit has struck down part of the sanctuary cities’ E.O., and yes, more to be litigated in future.

You are correct, he didn’t “ban” DACA, but he did try to kill it. His latest tweet on the subject declared “DACA is dead.” But it’s not...you’ll notice that his regulation ending it 5 March has long expired, and the courts ruled that it continues. Fox reporting, and Trump’s lack of knowledge on how laws and regulations work, notwithstanding...DACA lives.

Trump has stated twice that he wants the military all along the border to protect it. 4,000 troops working 12-hour shifts 7 days a week means just about one soldier per linear mile. Ok, given Trump’s incompetence, maybe he think that works. But think for a moment...if he can’t order the full-fledged armed wall, why has the military said it will take 40% of their troops to comply with that E.O.? It would be reasonable to assume they were given a heads-up from the WH. 

On on a similar subject, why did Trump say we’re pulling out of Syria the day after the military said we’re in Syria for the long haul? Not an illegal thing to do, but rather short-sighted, handing it over to the Russians.

why has the military said it will take 40% of their troops to comply with that E.O.?

I haven't seen that. Link please. Google brings up nothing about that.

The president ( and congress ) says how long American troops stay anywhere, NOT the military. It's not up to them. Anyway, they should never have been there in the first place, and he said he doesn't want American troops overseas unless necessary. As for the Russians, they are already well in there with bases and such.

I'll agree that an E O to withhold federal funds was illegal, as he does not control spending. He did it early in his presidency and was probably badly advised that he could.

Trump did not try to "kill" DACA. He wanted congress to make it a proper law.

• Sad 1

I haven't heard much how this lunacy effects the men and women in the U.S. National Guard. As far as I know this is a "reserve" unit. This means most if not all members have regular jobs and historically have been "week-end warriors" somewhere away from their home environment. 

When they are deployed they - I presume - get govt. pay and their civilian employer does not pay them. Typically the pay difference is significant... or so I'm led to believe. Therefore it certainly might be a financial crisis for this National Guard members and their families. And all b/c of a nitwit conman who acts basically to bolster his thin skin and ego. 

I will have a parade when he is gone. 

dunce.jpg

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

why has the military said it will take 40% of their troops to comply with that E.O.?

I haven't seen that. Link please. Google brings up nothing about that.

The president ( and congress ) says how long American troops stay anywhere, NOT the military. It's not up to them. Anyway, they should never have been there in the first place, and he said he doesn't want American troops overseas unless necessary. As for the Russians, they are already well in there with bases and such.

I'll agree that an E O to withhold federal funds was illegal, as he does not control spending. He did it early in his presidency and was probably badly advised that he could.

Trump did not try to "kill" DACA. He wanted congress to make it a proper law.

Generally, active-duty military can't be used for domestic law enforcement. However, Trump may be able to deploy the National Guard (which his administration said is the plan).

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/apr/04/can-president-donald-trump-send-military-secure-bo/

Think so far two Governors have authorised deployment of around 600 National Guard

As said above Trump's demands killed DACA, as he must have known they would. Trump lies every day, at the very least twists matters with false / misleading statements. Trump is unfit to hold the Office of President of the USA. "leader of the free world" - LOL

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Think so far two Governors have authorised deployment of around 600 National Guard

Texas sent out 250 NG's or about 1 for every 6 miles of border. If they use a buddy system, then two for every 12 miles. Practically, they'll probably be used at the official border immigration check points that will allow some Border Patrol Agents into the field.

The only US National Guard unit I ever had any dealings with (donkey's years ago now admittedly) had lots of blokes with nametags like Fernandez and Valasquez. 

Jolly clever of these alien chaps though, to infiltrate Mr Trumps last line of defence of his overwhelmed borders.

Perhaps he could ask these fellows to step up to the plate - I'll bet they're itching for another excuse to break out the dressing up boxes and strut their stuff after they "came out" at Charlottesville.

5ac8c123e70fd_waltsonparde.jpg.7ecc552e811d3dd78bc73446aa1cde5f.jpg

I should imagine threatening unarmed women and children, particularly those with brown skin is more up their street than it is soldiers, whether they are full time or part time.

Edited by JAG
Spotted another chance to take the piss out of fascists.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1