Why do Thais not care about a neat and clean home?

CLW

Our house is always spotless, Mother in laws house is always clean but cluttered, she never wants to throw out anything, I think it comes from being very poor when young. My wife and her mom always have that fight. Wife wants to throw everything out, we certainly have enough money for MIL to buy whatever she wants, But MIL cant bring herself to throw out anything.

cultures develop by people doing what is necessary in their particular situation, and culture is not static, it changes as situations change. but they also have momentum and resist change.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JOC said:

Could it be a climate thing?

Because of the warmer climate here, those living in houses tend to spend much more time outside..... (compared to our cooler home countries) therefore the state of the house becomes less important....

Live in an all Thai middle class neighborhood....Every morning the house owners sweep their driveway and the street in front of their houses...

Like all over the world....there are clean people and there are pigs...!!

Guy next door, complete pig other side neat and clean bit further neat and clean.

I think indeed it depends on the person but in general i feel Thai houses are less well maintained. (not saying clean)

• Like 1

They'd be a lot tidier if they had as many closets to hide crap as we do back home.  And the yard would be neater if they had that 2 car garage that's so cluttered it barely fits one car- and only on a good day.

I have to admire the way they can happily live in 1/3 - 1/2 the square feet we "require".  And they can be content even when things aren't the way we would have them.  Cleanliness isn't a virtue if it comes at the expense of peace of mind.

• Like 2

What is the point in stigmatizing once again people of a nation, when most of the ranters are queueing up at
Thai immigration to extend their duration of stay ?
It's just an observation and I'm asking about other people's experience.
Anyone can do as they please and I don't force them to do something.
Also it doesn't affect me or other life so up to everyone else
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Point taken, though I have nothing against Thai often defend them. Some things just show cultural differences does not mean someone is bad. 

And my dear fellow poster, I do hope that you did not take my comment as aimed directly to your post. Thank your for sharing your thoughts.

• Like 1

The Mrs, and also her folks, like to have a lot of useless stuff laying around the house that makes it look a tad clattered, but the houses are cleaned everyday. Whereas back home, nowhere near as much stuff laying about the place, but by no means was the place cleaned as often.

We just added a storage space when we built the outdoor kitchen, so now inside is a win win.

• Like 1