Greenbook/tax, visa issue

ryanhull

Hi all,

I bought a cheap honda off a lady here,

It did not have tax nor insurance however I was given the green book and a photocopy of the ladies ID and a thai number/signature on. This is the copy of the greenbook owner not the lady who sold me it who was english,

Anyway off I went to get the green booked changed and tax today only to find out some issues combined with what a Thai friend has told me

- The tax has not been paid in over 3 years, I am told because of this I need to get a new green book/plate and pay the previous tax which I have no problem paying for (1500 apparently for the new book, tax up to date plus insurance)

The problem is, I am on a tourist stamp and the lady said I must have either work visa or visa to obtain a new green book, along side a condo lease agreement and passport which I can do (not a visa I only have a stamp).

I am wondering would this be a whole lot easier to just put in on my gf`s name as she is thai? that leads me on, the lease is under my name, does a Thai even need a lease to obtain a green book or just an ID?

To be honest id sooner get it under my gf`s name as I am planning on getting another click too and dont want this hassle everytim and they are quite old/cheap bikes, I do however want them all up to date with regards to paperwork though just the visa seems the issue for the falang?

The issue here is the tax being not being paid I am told for such a long time it needs new plates and papers, fine I can pay and wait for those but without a visa it isnt even possible? I am on a stamp you see,

Thanks

Edited by ryanhull

Depends on the DLT but you usually dont need a longstay visa. You usually need a resident certificate from immigration or a letter from your consulate to prove address, they dont usually accept a lease agreement at the DLT, you would usually present the lease to immigration to get a Res cert.

In the GFs name would require ID and maybe blue house book.

Maybe mention the DLT you are dealing with and people can give specific requirements.

• Like 1

You need this form signed by the person in the green book: http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/index.php?id=17

If you don't have it it's impossible to transfer it (officially)

To transfer it to your name you need a certificate of residence, depends on the province if it's possible to get this when on a tourist visa. To transfer it to a Thai name this certificate of residence is not needed, they just have to provide their ID card.

Edited by jackdd

As said before you need a Letter of Residence from Thai Immigration or a work permit to get in your name. Easier to put in your gf's name if you don't mind the chance of her running off with it. :smile:

I thought you just pay the 3 years tax that was due, why do you need a new green book/plate, that doesn't sound right. Maybe they want to assume the bike has/had missing owner. Maybe it is because the previous owner is not available etc.

I don't know, maybe you need the form mentioned above signed by the previous owner and then just pay the back tax....rather than 1500 baht !

You can also consider talking to a bike shop, they can do all these things with a few hundred baht extra and a lot less hassle.