Address registration

metice

Confused by all the contradictory and changing requirements for registering my address. I returned 1 week ago from an overseas trip. Am I meant to re-register my address, even though nothing has changed? What exactly do I need to take? I'm here on a retirement visa.

I renewed my Retirement Extension this morning, with my last 90 Day Report happening in February.   This after leaving the country for a short break in Malaysia late December.   No re-registration of address was required.

1 minute ago, pagallim said:

I renewed my Retirement Extension this morning, with my last 90 Day Report happening in February.   This after leaving the country for a short break in Malaysia late December.   No re-registration of address was required.

Agree..........I returned from NZ in Jan and did NOT report in for re-registration and when I did my 90 day report 2 weeks ago nothing was mentioned about it and all went smoothly.

I just did my one year extension based on retirement two days ago. I copied my 3 year old certificate of residence and I have been out of the country a couple of times since then for several months, no problem at Immigration with my extension, my 90 day report or my new re-entry permit.

1 hour ago, Jimi007 said:

I just did my one year extension based on retirement two days ago. I copied my 3 year old certificate of residence and I have been out of the country a couple of times since then for several months, no problem at Immigration with my extension, my 90 day report or my new re-entry permit.

Certificate of Residence and House Registration are 2 very separate Immigration procedures.

The CoR is issued by Immigration to prove your address e.g. for Motor Vehicle department 

House Registration is normally the house owners responsibility within 24 house of foreigner arrival and usually no receipt is issued unless owner and/or guest go to Immigration office. No receipt is issued for online House Registration. I just take a screen shot of the completed registration.  

I re-registered my address after a trip to Europe last January. I did this because my Australian neighbour was fined 2,000 Baht during his 90-day reporting somewhere in November 2017. I asked the farang Immigration volunteer and she confirmed that re-registering was necessary. So apparently it has changed again now or it is the flavour of the day whether you get fined or not.

I brought a copy of my rental contract and my landlord who lives in Bangkok copied his ID card and house book, signed them, then took pictures and sent them to me by LINE. I printed out these pictures and that was accepted. Obviously I also brought my passport with the old address notification in it.

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Certificate of Residence and House Registration are 2 very separate Immigration procedures.

The CoR is issued by Immigration to prove your address e.g. for Motor Vehicle department 

House Registration is normally the house owners responsibility within 24 house of foreigner arrival and usually no receipt is issued unless owner and/or guest go to Immigration office. No receipt is issued for online House Registration. I just take a screen shot of the completed registration.  

You are correct! I haven't bought a car or motorbike in 11 years and I never had to register my house until 2015. They just seem to enforce some rules very selectively. I'm not sure if they still try to collect 500 Baht to do the CoR. But there isn't a charge to do the house registration and the CoR is supposed to be free as well. I brought all new documents to register my house with me from my landlord, just in case, but I wasn't asked for it, They said my old one from 2015 had the wrong address printed on it, but it was the correct address in their computer system. It look like the clerk printed a new one, but the old one was still in my passport when it was returned to me, with a correction on it by means of an ink pen! I have seen some of the same guys at Immigration for 12 years. They just stamp everything within a minute or two,  ask me phone number then I wait for the head guy to sign off. 

I am thinking if you are in the Phuket Immigration database, they don’t ask for a lot of things, especially in room 103. My wife overheard my “buddy “ saying he can’t make tip money anymore, so he’s not as friendly now! LOL! Like he ever was! I asked how his daughter was and he said she’s good! Then got off his phone and helped me! As I said, never a problem with him. I am sure many of you have had problems with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/26/2018 at 9:15 PM, Jimi007 said:

I am thinking if you are in the Phuket Immigration database, they don’t ask for a lot of things, especially in room 103. My wife overheard my “buddy “ saying he can’t make tip money anymore, so he’s not as friendly now! LOL! Like he ever was! I asked how his daughter was and he said she’s good! Then got off his phone and helped me! As I said, never a problem with him. I am sure many of you have had problems with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Why- he's always been fine with me and I've never tipped him. 

Why- he's always been fine with me and I've never tipped him. 

Because of many of the prior posts complaining about him. I have never tipped him either. The last time he asked, many years ago I told him in Thai ow tip mai? I pointed to my foot. Never asked again!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/26/2018 at 1:14 PM, Jimi007 said:

When you did your extension, how many months bank records were needed? When I made the original application last year I did 12 months but the bank charged more for this. Also, do you need to to another silly hand drawn map of your home and pose for a photo outside?

When you did your extension, how many months bank records were needed? When I made the original application last year I did 12 months but the bank charged more for this. Also, do you need to to another silly hand drawn map of your home and pose for a photo outside?

I use a notarized income statement from my Embassy to show income, they wanted a copy of an ATM card to show I can get money here. Yes they took the photo of me posing in front of my house and a map I made using the Find My iPhone app.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, metice said:

I think Immigration just require a 3 month statement which would be in line with the funds seeding time.

I had a 6 month statement for my extension this week. I don't know if it cost more than a 3 month would have. They did charge me 300 baht for that and the required letter. Probably a rip off, but much cheaper than getting an income certification from the Consulate General. 

As they also wanted photocopies of every page of my updated bankbook, one, or the other, would seem redundant.

They didn't ask me for the map or house photo. You never know what they might decide they need.

scb charges 200 baht for the signed letter and copies of bank book

Have never tipped anyone at thai immigration in Phuket nor paid "extra"for anything ( like the residency certificate for drivers license or to buy a bike/car)  and never will

On 4/28/2018 at 12:45 PM, phuketrichard said:

scb charges 200 baht for the signed letter and copies of bank book

Have never tipped anyone at thai immigration in Phuket nor paid "extra"for anything ( like the residency certificate for drivers license or to buy a bike/car)  and never will

I have no issues with paying for the statement and copies either- they are providing a service and should be paid. Try getting a letter off a solicitor!

I have commented before that the CoR should be regarded in the same light, to take the 'bribe' element out of it. They are providing a service so why not legitimise it (other than 'Mr Happy' would be out of pocket, which would make ME happy!).

• 3 weeks later...

It is known that for retirement extensions (room 103) they don't need a new address registration as long you did the address registration (on the same address) in the past.

But for most activities in room 101 (re-entry permits etc) they will need a updated address registration in case you left the country or used a hotel etc.

• 5 weeks later...

Hopefully @Merijn can clarify yet again. I managed to get some tax stamps today in in Kanchanaburi but the were  5 baht ones I take it two of them will be sufficient and they are not pedantic enough to demand ONE 10 baht stamp?

The woman up here seemed to be saying that B10 stamps were not available but it may have been down to my lack of understanding. As it was a Gov't office and they are using them all the time I'm tempted to believe her!

On 5/16/2018 at 2:16 AM, merijn said:

It is known that for retirement extensions (room 103) they don't need a new address registration as long you did the address registration (on the same address) in the past.

But for most activities in room 101 (re-entry permits etc) they will need a updated address registration in case you left the country or used a hotel etc.

My 2015 "Receipt of Notification" copy was accepted by room 103 on 24 April, 2018. I got a new one year extension even though I had been out of the country for 6 months. The next day, I picked up my passport from room 103 and went to room 101 and got a new re-entry permit with the copy of my new extension, ID page of my passport, new departure card copy and application form with photo. The I/0 asked me my phone number, I started to say it in English, but he got confused, so I said it in Thai. He stamped everything and said 1,000 Baht, I will call your name soon. I brought everything for a new TM 30 both times, but I was never asked for anything. Sign here, telephone number? Done. But I did bring the paperwork, just in case.

I was at Phuket Town Immigration today for my annual retirement extension. My “Receipt of Notification” was from 2015 and I left the country this past April.

The guy out front Room 103 required me to get a new one. He gave me a quick rundown on the new or newly enforced rules, he was almost apologetic about it, he's a good guy.

Fortunately, with all the talk about this subject I brought Mrs. Kidd, her ID and the house book. It took about 15 minutes in Room 101 and we were not asked for money.

The guys there were very cordial and explained in detail to me and Mrs. Kidd the recent changes. They also said it could be done by her on-line, but did not go into detail on how.

Back to Room 103 with all documentation, in/out in 10 minutes. The guy inside also reviewed the notification to be sure it was current.

I was at Phuket Town Immigration today for my annual retirement extension. My “Receipt of Notification” was from 2015 and I left the country this past April.

The guy out front Room 103 required me to get a new one. He gave me a quick rundown on the new or newly enforced rules, he was almost apologetic about it, he's a good guy.

Fortunately, with all the talk about this subject I brought Mrs. Kidd, her ID and the house book. It took about 15 minutes in Room 101 and we were not asked for money.

The guys there were very cordial and explained in detail to me and Mrs. Kidd the recent changes. They also said it could be done by her on-line, but did not go into detail on how.

Back to Room 103 with all documentation, in/out in 10 minutes. The guy inside also reviewed the notification to be sure it was current.

How about sharing the new rules.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

newly enforced rules

Old law, now being enforced;

Depends on which thai guy u ask at immigration;

some say u need do new notification of address if u stay in a hoteland or leave the country.

the guy i did it  with said ONLY if you leave the country,

doesn't matter if ur at the same address or not..

I know lots of guys that leave every month or so and dont do it...

• 1 month later...

So, in case I do my own TM30 online (instead of asking my Khun Landlord Lady, who cannot care less about all these rules), what proof do I have to show in immigration? I assume, all data about online TM30s gets into their system, but I have no paper trail left... 

As for certificate of residence (proof of address, the paper slip in my passport) -- recently I was doing re-entry permit in Patong, and AFTER all was done (money paid and passport stamped), but BEFORE returning my passport, the main bloke at the desk said "your address still same?", I say "yes", him: "but paper is too old, need to get new one". Well, I took it as a bribe baiting attempt, so politely mentioned that

a) i'm leaving the country tomorrow

b) moving to a new house soon (which is true)

c) it's 3:05pm and you have already stamped my passport and got my money, so can we all go home please. 

He let me go for free, and his assistant  gave me a slip with new requirements (copying from another topic):

They gave me the slip showing the exact wording / spelling.

=======================================================

Document for certificate of Residence

In case of the owner or the possesor come to contact by self.

1. copy for the owner ID card.

2. copy registration for house.

3. copy contract for rent.

4. copy passport and visa.

in case of the owner or the possesor cant come to contact by self.

5. Letter of power of attorney with revenue stamp.

10 Bath and ducument No 1-4 

The only question I have now -- should I dash to immi within 24hrs after moving house to get CoR, or simply filling TM30 online (on behalf of my landlord) and doing CoR sometime later will suffice? Seems like CoR is needed even for re-entry permits nowadays..  

8 hours ago, andreww said:

As for certificate of residence (proof of address, the paper slip in my passport) -- recently I was doing re-entry permit in Patong, and AFTER all was done (money paid and passport stamped), but BEFORE returning my passport, the main bloke at the desk said "your address still same?", I say "yes", him: "but paper is too old, need to get new one". Well, I took it as a bribe baiting attempt, so politely mentioned that

a) i'm leaving the country tomorrow

b) moving to a new house soon (which is true)

c) it's 3:05pm and you have already stamped my passport and got my money, so can we all go home please. 

He let me go for free, and his assistant  gave me a slip with new requirements (copying from another topic):

The only question I have now -- should I dash to immi within 24hrs after moving house to get CoR, or simply filling TM30 online (on behalf of my landlord) and doing CoR sometime later will suffice? Seems like CoR is needed even for re-entry permits nowadays..  

The law states within 24 hours that the landlord or hotel keeper should notify, but they seem to put it on us now! I did it online, about a month after I got back from the USA this year. I was never sure it went through, but when I went to do my one year extension this April, they just used my old notification in my passport and checked it against their computer records. I got a re-entry permit and 90 Day Report as well with no issues. But they make up whatever they want at times. I did bring a new TM 30 with me, but I was never asked for it. I saw people doing a 90 report the same day as I did my Re-entry Permit and they were asked for a new TM 30, but I wasn't. I found it's always good to speak a bit of Thai and get a laugh out of them. I did my new 90 Day Report online in late July and it was approved the next morning with my three year old TM 30 that I wasn't asked about. You just never know it seems. This was all at the main Phuket Immigration Office. Although I do know a few of the IO officers there after going there for 13 years.

Edit: It does say in the law a foreigner who stays on a "temporary basis." Maybe they don't hassle me as I've had the same address for over 12 years? Not exactly a temporary basis.

Archived