Thailand aiming to be "Start-Up hub of SE Asia - visas made easy for tech entrepreneurs

webfact

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Multinationals boost design and tech wherever they go, the pharmaceuticals companies have resulted in Thai universities producing breakthrough drugs, the automotive companies have resulted in the likes of the 7-axis welding robot manufacturer, the agro-food export industry has expanded into prepared foods, they are all innovations.

Please name 2 breakthrough drugs that have been invented in Thailand. Okay tourism on its own is all the eggs in one basket, however if they spent some real investment on it, it could be much more, but crop diversification is not bio technology and your 7-axis welding robot is made in Thailand, why because they have cheap labour...not invented or developed in Thailand, which I believe is the point of getting go getters. If you want more factories blighting the landscape then fine, but i think the point of the post was that Thailand wants super entrepreneurs and for that you need much more than desire. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That, however, is quite an edge to have. Single mid aged men would be the target group, but in recent times I've noticed IT nerds are quite in demand in the West by the fairer sex (due to high income), so not so many singles left. 

yep, there are super models in Silicon Valley hunting for some nerd love

7 minutes ago, NutsMango said:

yep, there are super models in Silicon Valley hunting for some nerd love

I remember the better looking eastern Europeans stalking the bankers on Canary Wharf....LOL

They may as well have had targets on their backs.

On 30.4.2018 at 12:40 PM, Expatthailover said:

Nice to see someone recognising this initiative for what it is as opposed to sneering, mocking etc.

Sure it may not turn out as expected or intended but it sure beats doing doing and wallowing in apathy and mediocrity.

Well done thailand

Do you know what irony is?

For better understanding see post #49

Edited by hanuman2543

2 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

Please name 2 breakthrough drugs that have been invented in Thailand. Okay tourism on its own is all the eggs in one basket, however if they spent some real investment on it, it could be much more, but crop diversification is not bio technology and your 7-axis welding robot is made in Thailand, why because they have cheap labour...not invented or developed in Thailand, which I believe is the point of getting go getters. If you want more factories blighting the landscape then fine, but i think the point of the post was that Thailand wants super entrepreneurs and for that you need much more than desire. 

I believe they came up with some early HIV drugs.  Tourism is huge, it could also be bigger, but then it does continue to grow, but in my opinion blights the landscape just as factories do, I do actually want to see Thailand keep some of its last unspoilt areas.  What Thailand has achieved in the agricultural sector is not only crop diversification, they have found ways to make their products viable for export foor processing innovation is what has fuelled this change.  Robots should be made in Thailand because Thailand needs more robots, and the agreement is for them to drive Thai innovation in their new Robotics Application Centre by developing new hardware and software solutions, so actually they are developed here, that's the deal.

On 01/05/2018 at 2:04 PM, Kieran00001 said:

There are some very good schools in Thailand, and a few good universities, not everyone goes to a state school in the country and a technical college that has been renamed as a university.  But I cant name 2 Thai tech startups, I cant name two Thai startups full stop, in fact not even one, has there ever been a successful Thai startup?  But coming up with a new business model would be the job of the foreigner who is being encouraged to do then conduct their business here, the Thai staff don't have to be capable of that bit, and in some sectors there are excellent employees available, for example in life science and pharmaceutical engineering.

The Thai company that sold seaweed  snack all over South East Asia region. But this is not tech. It does shows that a Thai start up can be successful.

Edited by Bkkthebest

33 minutes ago, Bkkthebest said:

The Thai company that sold seaweed  snack all over South East Asia region. But this is not tech. It does shows that a Thai start up can be successful.

Actually it is, it is food technology, and what about their processing of plankton into strips that resemble dried squid?

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Actually it is, it is food technology, and what about their processing of plankton into strips that resemble dried squid?

Nah.. i only pay attention to the stuff that i eat, i don't eat squid. Thais are capable of successful business. Like in any other countries, only a few out population of millions are able to launch successful business. I wonder what is all the fuss about who can or cannot have a start up?