Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!

Formaleins

52 minutes ago, billd766 said:

When I shut my computers down last night I got the message that I would get a download and then shut down.

When I booted them this morning and they came back up it was still on 1709 and just an odd update.

Maybe tonight I will set 2 of them to download 1803.

Don't rush the 1803 update as many have been experiencing problems. One of my machines failed to boot after I tried to update 1803 with Tuesday's patch. You can still keep updating 1709. These feature updates are not compulsory.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Suspect it's the fomer. Like me it's now getting old in the tooth!

It could have been the internet or rather the connection speed to the Microsoft server. 1803 is huge - about 3.6 GB.

Edited by tropo

5 hours ago, Pib said:

@tropo,

Appears lots of people are having the same booting problem with yesterday's 1803 cumulative update....see this Microsoft weblink. 

Many people are having to remove the 1803 cumulative update to get their 1803 running again which I expect will drive many to rollback to 1709.

Good find! Yes, that's exactly the problem I had, but unfortunately, the Windows RE seemed to be broken. I got into it, but could not select the advanced options tab. I've never come across a problem like that before. I never bothered making a Windows recovery disk because I switched to Macrium. Perhaps if I had it I could have recovered.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Or set up a schedule, every week for OS, every day for impotant documents.

LOL> I was waiting for such a comment...

I don't do that as it's impractical. I have 4 computers in different rooms and use a single USB external drive for backups. 2 of them are basically entertainment machines - downloading and watching movies and playing music... and checking emails or posting on Thaivisa.

They are not business machines with important documents - that would be different and I'd have to take more precautions. I just have a calendar to remind me to make backups - if only I always did it when reminded LOL. The more important the computer, the more careful I am.

48 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> I was waiting for such a comment...

I don't do that as it's impractical. I have 4 computers in different rooms and use a single USB external drive for backups. 2 of them are basically entertainment machines - downloading and watching movies and playing music... and checking emails or posting on Thaivisa.

They are not business machines with important documents - that would be different and I'd have to take more precautions. I just have a calendar to remind me to make backups - if only I always did it when reminded LOL. The more important the computer, the more careful I am.

If the computers are on a home network and you share the USB backup drive, you could do them all to that drive. Or back up to The Cloud, One Drive or Google Drive.

9 hours ago, Pib said:

@tropo,

Appears lots of people are having the same booting problem with yesterday's 1803 cumulative update....see this Microsoft weblink. 

Many people are having to remove the 1803 cumulative update to get their 1803 running again which I expect will drive many to rollback to 1709.

From scanning through above weblink a few minutes ago it appears a lot of people are blaming their problem on "IOBIT's Advanced System Care" software which apparently is one of those apps that optimizes & cleans your computer.   I don't use...nor ever heard of it until reading the weblink.   

Partial quote from below weblink regarding the 1803 Cumulative Update KB4103721

https://windowsreport.com/kb4103721-bugs/

The Windows 10 April 2018 Update just got its first Patch Tuesday update. If you’re running this OS version, you can download KB4103721 via Windows Update or you can simply install the stand-alone update package from Microsoft’s Update Catalog.

Update KB4103721 fixes a series of severe issues affecting Windows 10 version 1803, including Chrome freezes and Remote Desktop connection problems. Unfortunately, this patch also brings quite a few bugs of its own.

KB4103721 reported issues

1. Computers won’t boot up

2. Black screen issues

IObit Advanced System Care 11 users confirmed this tool messes up the update. 

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

If the computers are on a home network and you share the USB backup drive, you could do them all to that drive. Or back up to The Cloud, One Drive or Google Drive.

I use the computers at different times of the day. Often they are not used at all. Auto backups wouldn't work in my situation. I've tried them though, but they were nothing but trouble. I don't even network my computers (gave that up with Windows 7), but I have them all connected to a network drive when I want to swap files. Supervised backups to my external USB drive work best for me. I want to be absolutely sure it gets done properly. I'm also not interested in paying for cloud storage. My backup drive is 1 TB, nearly full.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

From scanning through above weblink a few minutes ago it appears a lot of people are blaming their problem on "IOBIT's Advanced System Care" software which apparently is one of those apps that optimizes & cleans your computer.   I don't use...nor ever heard of it until reading the weblink.   

I've been using Advanced System Care for years, although it's set to not scan automatically, so I don't know how it could be affecting my updates. It has caused some system problems in the past though, so I use it sparingly. I'm finding Avast a real pain these days, and I know that can cause problems in updates. I've gotten rid of it and just using the Windows Defender now. I'm trying to keep my systems as lite as possible without too much bloat. If I don't use it - out it goes.

Even so, I updated 3 of 4 computers without problems, and each has ASC pro installed.

Seems to be a lot of hate mail on the web right now about ASC's compatibility with 1803 even when the initial 1803 install went OK.  But once ASC did some of its maintenance work under 1803 it messed up the computer...or at least that's what is being said on a lot of threads I'm googling up/reading.  However we all know that sometimes the blame gets misplaced.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

Seems to be a lot of hate mail on the web right now about ASC's compatibility with 1803 even when the initial 1803 install went OK.  But once ASC did some of its maintenance work under 1803 it messed up the computer...or at least that's what is being said on a lot of threads I'm googling up/reading.  However we all know that sometimes the blame gets misplaced.

ASC finds new Windows updates and starts the update process inside the ASC framework (I'm not sure exactly how it works). It's under a scan called "vulnerability fix". I've had problems with this interfering with the Windows native update process, on numerous occasions in the past. I no longer use this scan and I've even emailed ASC support explaining the problems I've had. I really like most of the ASC tools, but you have to be careful these days. I don't think ASC would find 1803, but it would find cumulative updates like the one offered on Tuesday if 1803 was already installed.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 1:42 PM, tropo said:

It could have been the internet or rather the connection speed to the Microsoft server. 1803 is huge - about 3.6 GB.

In my case the downloads seemed relatively speedy in comparison to the subsequent installations and reboots.

On 5/9/2018 at 5:23 PM, tropo said:
On 5/8/2018 at 7:26 PM, Unsane said:

Purchased one for three quid off of eBay a few days ago.  Worked a treat.

Thanks! I'll consider that as my next option. Right now I'm just messing around with hacks that are working at the moment. It's just an entertainment machine, so any problems are no major hassle.

I took your advice and purchased a key on eBay for $4. It's not a group licence that could expire or become invalid, but a key for 1PC only. They come with trashed computers. The seller is an authorised system refurbisher and is licenced to resell Microsoft keys. I went for the Windows 10 Home version.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:29 AM, Pib said:

@tropo,

I cannot understand why you are having so many problems. I have a Intel NUC i5 model, and another I built myself. Both have updated PERFECTLY, no lock ups, no blue or black screens, simply WORKING. Have you thought that it may be yours, and tropo's PCs have something amiss. Do a clean install.

I haven't had any problems in upgrading my PCs to 1803 because I haven't upgraded to 1803 yet....as stated numerous times I've paused update to1803.  

I don't think you went to the MS Weblink given in above post where many people are talking the problems they are having....read the weblink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

I haven't had any problems in upgrading my PCs to 1803 because I haven't upgraded to 1803 yet....as stated numerous times I've paused update to1803.  

I don't think you went to the MS Weblink given in above post where many people are talking the problems they are having....read the weblink.

I made the mistake and signed up at Microsoft Community and received hundreds of mostly incompetent messages. 

I've updated all four in our household and an old DELL notebook, all are running well. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK. So you don't know if you will have problems or not, now or in 35 days time. So why not do it and let us know the outcome....do a system image first though!

On 5/10/2018 at 1:33 PM, OJAS said:

The upgrade will be a bit like putting a new engine into a 65 Ford Anglia then.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I cannot understand why you are having so many problems. I have a Intel NUC i5 model, and another I built myself. Both have updated PERFECTLY, no lock ups, no blue or black screens, simply WORKING. Have you thought that it may be yours, and tropo's PCs have something amiss. Do a clean install.

No problems here with either the 1803 update or cumulative update of yesterday.  

Edited by fanjita
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, fanjita said:

No problems here with either the 1803 update or cumulative update of yesterday.  

I really thought that the cumulative update messed my older PC up, but it turned out that the PC couldn't identify one of its memory cards.

Can't say anything negative about the new version, thanks Mr. Gates. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

There's nothing more irritating than someone posting about a problem on a forum and other people coming in and stating they haven't had any problems... as though the original poster is making it up, or stupid.

This is the case with some of Pib's links to forums where people have been discussing Windows 10 update problems. There were quite a few of these annoying posts where people had to make it known that they had no problems.

Also, coming on and suggesting people do clean installs is equally unhelpful. Of course, that will work - it's a no-brainer, but it's not the first option for anyone. I work really hard to solve issues before I consider a clean install.

For the record, I have 4 PC's with Windows 10 installed. I only had a problem with one of the 4. You had 2 machines that updated perfectly, I had 3, so there you go - we were both lucky. They ALL updated perfectly to 1803 (OS Build 17134.1). ONE of the 4 was unbootable after trying to update to OS Build 17134.48 (the May cumulative update - KB4103721).

I ended up clean installing, but only after quite an effort and careful consideration of all options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

OK. So you don't know if you will have problems or not, now or in 35 days time. So why not do it and let us know the outcome....do a system image first though!

I can answer that. It's a good idea to hold off on recent updates that have documented many problems, as this one has. It's a feature update, which is basically like a Service Pack update of old. It's a huge undertaking that can work out fine or doesn't. Waiting at least a month allows Microsoft time to fix bugs people around the world experience with updates, ensuring a better experience.

1803 is not compulsory. You can stick with 1709 or 1703. 1709 is supported until April 9, 2019. 1703 is supported until October 9, 2018. Updates will be available for both of these until these dates. What's the rush?

EVERYONE in the world has a unique system running their own personal software. Everyone cannot expect the same outcome. Some people haven't clean installed for many years and have too much clutter on their system. One system I recently reset was an install from about 2011, Windows 7, which I upgraded to Windows 10 in July 2016. It was time to clean it up.

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:
On 5/10/2018 at 1:33 PM, OJAS said:

The upgrade will be a bit like putting a new engine into a 65 Ford Anglia then.

I just did a stress test (Prime95) on my old 2009 Compaq and it passed with flying colours. A brand new install of Windows 10 Home is also working beautifully. Unless you have extreme computing needs or like to play advanced games, upgrading is not important. Sure, I have to wait a little longer to run programs, but I don't think a few seconds here or there warrants replacing it until it finally dies. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Google Drive gives 15gB free and One Drive is 5 gB, and about $2 a month for a lot more. 

I store backup images of 5 computers (one is a Mac), usually about 50 GB each, as well as a lot more stuff. I also keep multiple images of my more important computers. My back up drive is 1TB, and nearly full... and there's nothing I want to take off it... and I regularly go through and clean old stuff I don't need. I was thinking of upgrading to a 2TB hard drive. How much would it cost for that much cloud storage? I know I could trim it down if I was paying for storage, but I like having excess space. It's like living in a big house. You don't need the space, but it feels good LOL.

Also, it's a lot faster recovering and making back up images over USB 3.0 than over the internet. I can do it in 10 minutes.