What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

New things on BBC this is england 90, midwinter of the spirit (2 parter) ghosts etc , lady Chatterley's lover , the go between and cider with rosie all well worth a look

Great stuff thanks,i have been looking for some new shows, can't find lady Chatterley's lover, yet

DR Who started last week for the kid still in us

Hey guys, thanks to this thread, I am only at page 32, I have learned of many movies and TV series, otherwise unbeknownst to me, that I will be watching.

I would like to give something back and recommend a series titled, "The Hand of God".

Its stars, Ron Perlman, and Andre Royo (The Wire) and supporting cast play their roles very good. The script takes a unique slant and each episode leaves you wanting more - and the cleverly crafted finale......I won't give away any spoilers away only to say that you must watch the last episode all the way to the very end and into the credits.

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did!

I am assuming that you mean this specific sound at the end? If that is the case, I do not know what to make out of it. Everything is possible including a second season (I definitely hope for it).

Hand of God

Spoiler Alert!

I can't believe you didn't 'get it'! facepalm.gif

That 'sound' was the sound of PJ flat lining after that scene-ending, miraculous breath of life, which is a fitting end to the emotional roller coaster ride of the season finale: The loss of PJ, next-in-line blood heir, is (to be?) replaced by the birth of Tessie's baby? Stay tuned!

Off course I got what sound that was. But what does it mean? They wake him up, they let him die? Is it even PJ? How does that influence a possible(?) second season? That's why I called the ending "debatable" in a previous post (and because I found the wake-up scene rather cheesy).

Ah, not worth it. I'll see...

I am assuming that you mean this specific sound at the end? If that is the case, I do not know what to make out of it. Everything is possible including a second season (I definitely hope for it).

Hand of God

Spoiler Alert!

I can't believe you didn't 'get it'! facepalm.gif

That 'sound' was the sound of PJ flat lining after that scene-ending, miraculous breath of life, which is a fitting end to the emotional roller coaster ride of the season finale: The loss of PJ, next-in-line blood heir, is (to be?) replaced by the birth of Tessie's baby? Stay tuned!

Off course I got what sound that was. But what does it mean? They wake him up, they let him die? Is it even PJ? How does that influence a possible(?) second season? That's why I called the ending "debatable" in a previous post (and because I found the wake-up scene rather cheesy).

Ah, not worth it. I'll see...

Okay, I see where you are coming from.

Hand of God (- Spoiler Alert -)

In this series, the answer to your, "They just let him die?", is 'Yes'. Following all the 'clues': (1) All PJ's wife's lawyer's expert doctors say that there is no chance of PJ surviving w/o the breathing assist. (2) The scene where the judge's wife gives the preacher and his girlfriend the ultimatum to stay away from her husband, she says, "There is no guarantee you ever get to have another one. I only got to have one and I lose him tomorrow". (3) Tessie is pregnant with (the judges) baby who stands to be the blood heir of the judges wealthy estate. So 'Yes', PJ is gone and season 2 will probably have the 3-way controversy with the judge, his wife, Tessie and her baby, the-heir apparent. It's going to be interesting.

Another show, one that I picked up from this thread, "Longmire" follows this type of cliff-hanger technique.

I started watching the British "TheFixer" but after the first two episodes I landed in episode three of The Fixer US by mistake. Contrary to the British Fixer, the US Fixer is a four part mini series with a lot of "Boom". The Captain from "The Last Ship" and the blonde detective from "Murder in the First" are the heroes in this terrorist conspiracy action drama. Not great, but watchable. Explosions galore.

BTW: I will now continue to watch the British Fixer. No terrorists but an absurd plot where someone is forced to "fix" problems with criminals that the state cannot get hold of through the ordinary justice system. Luckily, it's more about the characters then the "fixing" itself. I think the series is from 2013.

• Like 2

Ray donovan series 3 goas out with.style and leads really nicely I presume into

series 4,any news on that one?. in the autumn i presume?

busy changing countries atm so aint quite up to speed:rolleyes:

hand of god whats the general concencus? Hit or miss? worth sticking with ?

Ray donovan series 3 goas out with.style and leads really nicely I presume into

series 4,any news on that one?. in the autumn i presume?

busy changing countries atm so aint quite up to speed:rolleyes:

hand of god whats the general concencus? Hit or miss? worth sticking with ?

A somewhat predictable ending.. Pretty sure every season has ended in a similar vein.. Not that I'm not liking it and looking forward to Season 4, although it will be a later start next year - September I believe.

I don't know if this has been mentioned as cannot be bothered to read through nearly 200 pages to find out.

For any Sci Fi fans Dark Matter is pretty good. The first season of 13 has just finished and a new season agreed. I'm certainly looking forward to season 2.

A quick warning for any Trekkies here. DO NOT be tempted to watch the new Star trek Renegades film. It is truly dismal. The CGI isn't too bad but the acting stinks . It is just a shame that nobody could keep the franchise going in some description ?

I don't know if this has been mentioned as cannot be bothered to read through nearly 200 pages to find out.

For any Sci Fi fans Dark Matter is pretty good. The first season of 13 has just finished and a new season agreed. I'm certainly looking forward to season 2.

A quick warning for any Trekkies here. DO NOT be tempted to watch the new Star trek Renegades film. It is truly dismal. The CGI isn't too bad but the acting stinks . It is just a shame that nobody could keep the franchise going in some description ?

I was very happy with Dark Matter, but the guys on that (illegal, I guess) Internet- channel, I am watching, have not uploaded anything after Episode 6 ! sad.png

RIP CSI - i have loved you for more than a decade!!

Great Finale.

Patsycat even had a tear in her eye!!

But not for long, on the French tv they do repeats of repeats, poor old Horatio is still using string instead of lazers on prime time tv!!

Joking aside, i loved that series. Las Vegas, Miami, New York and am sad to see it go.

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1

The Last Gladiators

This sports documentary came out in 2011. I was unaware of it until today. One of the better documentaries of this type I have seen. You do not need to be a Hockey fan to appreciate this. I know almost nothing about ice hockey myself.

8/10 from me.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_last_gladiators_2011/

Thanks for the tip on this one Bookman.

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

I didn't realise ice hockey was so brutal.

TBH, it made a mockery of the game IMO.

• Like 2

Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia (2013)

This is a great documentary about one of the greatest writers (pure fiction, historical fiction, screenplays, plays, essays, social criticism, and ??) and thinkers America ever produced. Long gone are the days when one could turn on the TV and hear great conversations with guys like Gore Vidal, Steve Allen, William F. Buckley, Mort Sahl, Norman Mailer, Jack Paar, Dick Cavett. Vidal was possibly the greatest wit and conversationalist of them all, totally unafraid to speak truth to power and call BS wherever it cropped up. I would have loved to see him appear on Fox News, just to eviscerate <deleted> like Hannity and O'Reilly.

What a life he lived, to the hilt. There will never be another like him. If you're a G.V. fan, see also youtube with Gore on The Great Depression and The American Presidency. The latter was from the early days of the History Channel, when it was worth watching. What the hell happened there?

TEN! Gore Vidal 1925 - 2012 R.I.P.

This is England 90 , for those of you who like this sort of thing , gritty British drama , i love it , you really need to see the others in the series before watching this ,and this 4 parter has been slated compared with the others ,but to be honest i think its great , give it a try and really watch it .

• Like 2

Watched the first episode of Blood and Oil. It's sort of a Western movie but with trucks and mobile phones. The good characters are annoyingly optimistic and lucky. The bad characters are cliche bad and losers. The role of the elder successful down-to-earth oil man suits Don Johnson (yes, the one from "Miami Vice") surprisingly well. I think it is not as bad as it just sounded. It has some action and plays otherwise in the tradition of "Dallas", I'd say. Hm, on second thought, maybe, that's a bit too much. Anyway, I will continue watching.

• Like 2

Some new comedies, all in all rather disappointing:

Grandfathered: A successful womanizing restaurant owner meets his 26year old son whose existence he was not aware of. The son has a child. And so the story begins with jokes that are suitable for the whole family. That says it all.

The Grinder: An actor who played a successful lawyer in a TV-show that has ended helps his brother who is a real lawyer but not successful. Silly and completely over the top. A few amusing moments, nevertheless.

Benders: absurd problems of some friends who play ice hockey together. Boring as hell.

But that's just me..

• Like 2

Watched the first episode of Blood and Oil. It's sort of a Western movie but with trucks and mobile phones. The good characters are annoyingly optimistic and lucky. The bad characters are cliche bad and losers. The role of the elder successful down-to-earth oil man suits Don Johnson (yes, the one from "Miami Vice") surprisingly well. I think it is not as bad as it just sounded. It has some action and plays otherwise in the tradition of "Dallas", I'd say. Hm, on second thought, maybe, that's a bit too much. Anyway, I will continue watching.

Yep watched the first episode and

was far from convinced however like you saw a glimmer of hope it'll

turn into a decent show. that and/or the general lack of quality tv atm.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Finally! Something promising in the comedy department. And it comes from Britain. You Me and the Apocalypse is a production from Sky1. The title is more or less self-explanatory. But not silly, just good fun (British fun). Looking forward to the next episodes (10 altogether).

• Like 1

Homeland is back. Just watched the first episode of season 5 (it was online before it's broadcast in the US) with all the usual suspects. It has a rather slow start but I think they set up the storyline nicely. I am definitely in and not only because it plays in Berlin.

Tv series - Dag

I discovered this little gem the other day.
It's a bit different and really funny.

There are 4 seasons but I could only find season 1 with subtitles.

Do yourself a favour and have a look at this one.

IMDB: Dag is a Norwegian comedy series about a marriage counselor who think people should live in solitude.
He hates spending time with other people, except from his friend Benedict who is struggling to be faithful in his own relationship.
Dags life changes when his well-meaning sister, Marianne, forces him to go on his nineteenth blind-date with her old childhood friend, Eva.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1711386/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Fantastic Fest 2015 Review: DAG Delivers A Bleakly Hilarious Take On Life And Love

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/09/fantastic-fest-2015-review-dag-delivers-a-bleakly-hilarious-take-on-life-and-love.html

• Like 2

Documentary - Cartel Land

Saw this one on the weekend and thought it was excellent.

IMDB: A physician in Michoacán, Mexico leads a citizen uprising against the drug cartel that has wrecked havoc on
the region for years. Across the U.S. border, a veteran heads a paramilitary group working to prevent Mexico's drug wars from entering U.S. territory.

• Like 1

BTW: I forgot Dr. Ken in my previous post about new comedies. Do not watch it! Seriously, don't! Well, maybe. If you are 12 years old or younger. But even then...

I didn't mind Dr Ken, thought it filled that mildly amusing Saturday morning viewing spot quite well. It's not prime time viewing that's for sure.

• Like 1

BTW: I forgot Dr. Ken in my previous post about new comedies. Do not watch it! Seriously, don't! Well, maybe. If you are 12 years old or younger. But even then...

I just downloaded the two new comedies ,you and me and the apocolypse ,not bad will watch again ,and Dr Ken , to call it crap would be insulting ,that is to crap , the "acting" is awfull ,the script is only made worse by the fact you can hear it over the canned laughter , i lasted about 3 minutes and then lost the will to live biggrin.png

• Like 1

Smiley's People (1982) He's Back! Old School!

I was stumbling around in Youtube Land last night, and watched a recent film starring and directed by Robert Redford from 2012 called The Company You Keep, which, despite its all star cast went straight to DVD, and then those must have been immediately melted down to made lawn furniture. Susan Sarandon...Nick Nolte...Stanley Tucci...Richard Jenkins...Julie Christie (!)...Brendan Gleeson...and last and least...Shia LaBeouf. Redford plays an ex Weather Underground 60's radical who has hidden in plain sight for 30 years as a highly visible activist lawyer (right!). Now he's on the run from the always stupid (in films anyway) FBI, seeking to clear his name. Only Julie Christie can save him. The script is a lost cause, and so is the film, but it's free on Youtube.

However...somebody has posted all six episodes of Smiley's People, starring all time acting demi-god Sir Alec Guinness ( R.I.P.) as George Smiley. As good an actor as Gary Oldman is, Guinness is Smiley, and there is none other, ever. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was flawless in its TV original, with a smidgen of the budget of the recent "remake." Now they will probably compound the offense by re-making Smiley's People.

I saw it on American TV when it first appeared. It was great then, with the screenplay written by the Master Himself, John LeCarre, and it's so good to see it again. The "Circus" (MI6?) is in shambles from the Bill Haydon spying fiasco, and now another mess bubbles to the surface which only Smiley can possibly fix. He is begged back out of forced retirement, with a mandate to make the problem go away, by any means necessary. Well, that never works.

I was so glad to find this lost classic! Makes most current day "spy thrillers" seem like exercises from film school students.

Too Good to Score!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dh4tnvx2b8

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 1

I didn't mind Dr Ken, thought it filled that mildly amusing Saturday morning viewing spot quite well. It's not prime time viewing that's for sure.

Well, sometimes, one is on different sides of the fence. I will remember that when I enthusiastically talk about "The Leftovers", which started yesterday with season 2. I can already see all the raised eyebrows. smile.png

• Like 1