What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

John Wick Chapter 2. How this achieved an 8/10 rating on IMDB is beyond me. The first John Wick at least had a semblance of a story line, #2 is nothing but a gratuitous body count bearing more resemblance to a video game than a movie.

• Like 1

Started watching the Shooter on Netflix, 2 episodes in and it looks like it may be a bit predictable but enough action to keep me watching.

Also on Netflix is Highlands, a documentary by Coconuts TV, as in Coconuts Bangkok,  on cannabis in Thailand, from its history here to possible decriminalisation - really interesting 

House of Cards starts May 30 

• Like 2

Went to the pictures yesterday to see "Unlocked"; a great thriller about a CIA operative in London. Noomi Rapace stars; other cast includes John Malkovich, Toni Collette, Orlando Bloom and Michael Douglas. Going on the closing dialogue, this could be the first in a series. Reccomended.

Tv series - Paula

I didn't mind the first episode of this new 3 part series from the Beeb.

IMDB: The fallout in a young chemistry teacher's life, after her one-night stand with a good-looking but dangerous ducker and diver. There is an instant, animalistic, spark of attraction before they become locked in a dance of mutual destruction. Only one can survive, but their actions will take a terrifying toll on all those around them.

If you have not seen it, save yourself the bother.

La La Land

My wife wanted to watch it and gave up after 5 minutes. Boring, slow and cheesy.

How did it get such good write ups?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Of course you did, you always take the opposite view to me.

Thank you for reading my posts.

I liked it well before I saw your post.

I don't understand not liking at least the early part of that film! Pure JOY.

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

If you have not seen it, save yourself the bother.

La La Land

My wife wanted to watch it and gave up after 5 minutes. Boring, slow and cheesy.

+1

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

How did it get such good write ups?

Over the years I noticed this is often the case with Oscar winning films.

• Like 1

It didn't win best picture and I'm happy it didn't but that doesn't mean it was crap either. 

I'm feeling a little awkward here defending La La Land because it's very far from my favorite move ever.  I can see it's not for everyone. In the U.S., black people make fun of it as a "white people's" movie and I get that, and it's certainly not for people that only like comic book action movies, or people that only like serious art films, etc. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I hated the beginning and only watched about 15 minutes of it. I hardly ever do that. The one that actually won the Oscar was much better, but, to me, it did not deserve it. IMO, it won only because of political correctness. There were much better films last year.

Just now, mogandave said:

I thought it was okay albeit disappointing after all the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not for everyone.

My impression when watching it was that it reminded me of the classic, Singin' In the Rain.

Wasn't the only one --

https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/14/12912260/la-la-land-movie-review-emma-stone-ryan-gosling-tiff-16

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It didn't win best picture and I'm happy it didn't but that doesn't mean it was crap either. 

I'm feeling a little awkward here defending La La Land because it's very far from my favorite move ever.  I can see it's not for everyone. In the U.S., black people make fun of it as a "white people's" movie and I get that, and it's certainly not for people that only like comic book action movies, or people that only like serious art films, etc. 

You say Black people make fun of it as a "white peoples" movie , why ? isnt there enough "c-rap" songs , shootings and gang violence in it?:smile:

4 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

You say Black people make fun of it as a "white peoples" movie , why ? isnt there enough "c-rap" songs , shootings and gang violence in it?:smile:

No barber shops.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than watch that again. I did see it through to the end and consider that time well wasted.

No real story line, cheesy and pandering to the Luvvie brigade.

Still, if you like that sort of thing, fair enough. Everyone has different tastes.

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

No.

My understanding is that the feeling was that the JAZZ element in the film felt whitewashed to black audiences, regardless of the color of characters. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 7:59 PM, JSixpack said:

Watched Blue Velvet again for maybe the 5th time a few months ago! Dennis Hopper indeed. An all-time fave. Blue Velvet influenced Tarantino and also Lynch's Twin Peaks, which will reboot this August. Looking forward to that. Saw The Grifters a couple times, been awhile so tnx for reminding me.

Twin Peaks season 3 (reboot) has already started, no need to wait until Aug.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Twin Peaks season 3 (reboot) has already started, no need to wait until Aug.

Right! Forgot to post that update. Got it queued up. Thanks.

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than watch that again. I did see it through to the end and consider that time well wasted.

No real story line, cheesy and pandering to the Luvvie brigade.

Still, if you like that sort of thing, fair enough. Everyone has different tastes.

Dude, I did not particularly like it, but I would watch it twice a night for a year before I would stick needles in my eyes...my arm, maybe.