Two-thirds of children don't know what a floppy disk is, survey reveals

snoop1130

7 hours ago, hansnl said:

You have always been hurrying after the emerging technology, and at a certain point had to admit you lost it.

So will your children.

But isn't that the very nature of all progress?  Isn't that why we are born to die?

why would they know? it is one example of countless obsolete technologies.

if someone had a particular interest in , or was studying, for example, computer development/technology they may come across such technologies, but in everyday life? no need to know.

the OP, in asking the question, is merely showing how out of touch he/she is with the modern world and contemporary culture. one could say, with views like this, the OP is fast becoming obsolete!

14 minutes ago, faraday said:

For the Brits....

Remember the Black Public Telephones' with ' Press Button A, then Press Button B'?

I do.....:omfg:

Black phones, red boxes...…….remember them well.

And going round to them pressing button B to see if any money came out!!

• Like 1

The first computer I worked on a Marconi Elliot 803B in 1969 took up a large air conditioned room, had 8K (not GB) of RAM, punched paper tape output and four 35mm Kodak magnetic film (like old cameras) drives with1000 foot reels. Each reel held just over 1MB of data! You could see each individual RAM address if you opened the core store door.

A sort operation that would take a few seconds today was a clanking operation that took all night, and sometimes failed if a piece of grit got stuck in the film. We repaired sprocket holes with clear tape. 

See here, but I never had a beard like that!

Once it came to me that one of the Eastern Block armies used 2 GB memory. They were really successful in their work and since it was after the official "cold war" their colleagues from the West was really interested to know their work.

They wanted to extend their memory by another 2 GB ;)

I recently picked up my fathers collection of super 8 and put on a cine show for the kids, it was funny as they all wanted to know when the sound would kick in and were amazed by the projector, but they got to see their dad at 5 years old and the picture quality was quite good. 

i also taught AutoCAD for a while years ago and the difference between age groups was quite interesting, the elderly students always felt a need to understand how it worked and would bog themselves down with this whereas the younger students would just use it for what it can do, no questions asked. Us elders are not quite used to the amazing speed of technology, whereas younger people just pick something up and if it doesn't do what they want it to they go off and find something that does. As the floppy disk has been outdated for quite a while now, I'm surprised that so many knew what it was.

I had to ask my son what a Meme was, I would think we would all struggle to keep up with new terminology, technology and what goes on out there, whereas they access all this stuff regularly and with ease.