Just had the first 10,000Km service – I was told not to use a power washer

I am not sure that you have to take vehicle to dealer for everything including oil changes to maintain warranty as long as you keep records. In Phuket I would go to one of those PTT gas stations for oil and filter change 850 baht, here in Korat go to Shell and its 1,190 but they keep giving me free gifts as well. They also take out air filter and clean, check tire pressures. A good price and good service.

Seems like Suzuki are over charging you, and that would have covered the boot charge.

How do you like the Suzuki Carry, and what did you pay?

Also a lot of new cars tell you to change the oil at 10,000 or 20,000 kilometers, that is 6,000 and 12,000 miles. Talk to any real mechanic, not Thai, and they will tell you to change every 5,000 kilo or 3,000 miles. If you want your engine to last follow this guideline. The car manufacturers and the oil manufacturers maintain that the oil lasts a lot longer, but the reality is the oil breaks down under the kind of heat and stresses it is subjected to especially a hot country like Thailand. But as they say here, "Up to you!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mansell said:

How do you like the Suzuki Carry, and what did you pay?

Also a lot of new cars tell you to change the oil at 10,000 or 20,000 kilometers, that is 6,000 and 12,000 miles. Talk to any real mechanic, not Thai, and they will tell you to change every 5,000 kilo or 3,000 miles. If you want your engine to last follow this guideline. The car manufacturers and the oil manufacturers maintain that the oil lasts a lot longer, but the reality is the oil breaks down under the kind of heat and stresses it is subjected to especially a hot country like Thailand. But as they say here, "Up to you!"

That I reckon is correct for base mineral oil, but there are better alternatives out there to lengthen oil change periods because of better protection..

15 minutes ago, transam said:

A weeee story regarding pressure washers. I bought and fitted a chip to boost HP/TQ on the Vigo diesel that was advertised as having a water proof module, took  the ride to a car wash to have the engine bay pressure washed. When they finished it would not start. Hmmmm

Luckily a "bridge" was supplied with the chip in case it needed a service or failed, my first thought was to fit the bridge. It started, got home and took the module apart, yep, water inside...Dried it out, re-fitted it and it started. Little while later it failed, permanently..I reckon the water stuffed it, all due to a pressure wash...bored.gif.877e649d2cb316efc3a70414c299d3a8.gif

Not having a go Trans, but for me a pressure wash in the engine bay is a no-no...…...it forces water into places that it normally wouldn't go and I don't want to chance it. :smile:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Not having a go Trans, but for me a pressure wash in the engine bay is a no-no...…...it forces water into places that it normally wouldn't go and I don't want to chance it. :smile:

Must admit that back home it would be a steam pressure thingy, it dried near instantly with the heat with  few ploblems......:stoner:

Would never use a PW on the body work..

Edited by transam

16 minutes ago, transam said:

That I reckon is correct for base mineral oil, but there are better alternatives out there to lengthen oil change periods because of better protection..

About a decade or more ago I had a Subaru and the service guys begged me not to use Mobil 1 as it ate the engine seals. But after the warranty was over they said do what you want. I eventually had three Subarus.....great vehicles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mansell said:

About a decade or more ago I had a Subaru and the service guys begged me not to use Mobil 1 as it ate the engine seals. But after the warranty was over they said do what you want. I eventually had three Subarus.....great vehicles.

Not sure about eating the seals but I do know that a good syn oil "may" get past the seals. I have the T-shirt for that...:stoner:

19 hours ago, stevenl said:

Accept it and move on.

I don't agree, if you are sure you are right then always stand your ground, but never get angry, in my experience about 90% of the time you will win. It is well known that here in Thailand that in any transaction you will be told what you want to hear.

If you just accept everything and move on, it will just keep happening all the time to other customers, then the company always wins and the customer always loses.

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

Back then there were Detergent and Non Detergent. Today only 2 Stroke oils are non detergent re benzine engines..

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I don't agree, if you are sure you are right then always stand your ground, but never get angry, in my experience about 90% of the time you will win. It is well known that here in Thailand that in any transaction you will be told what you want to hear.

If you just accept everything and move on, it will just keep happening all the time to other customers, then the company always wins and the customer always loses.

Over an amount like this with a consumable part? Not worth the effort.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I had a similar interaction to the OP with a hotel owner in Korat about the over pressured bum sprayer in our bathroom... :coffee1:

was that before or after you had the hole in that part of your body fixed after all the water drained out

I went to some car wash behind a Cafe with a brand new car two years ago walked inside to get a coffee and came back to a teenage kid attacking the finish with a very strong gas powered washer, you know the kind used to clean mold off concrete walls? I was afraid the clear coat would come off.

“No, no promlem”

I got in the car in disgust and drove away. Two weeks later the place was gone.

On 5/10/2018 at 3:46 PM, johng said:

I often point out miss priced items on supermarket shelves often the employees agree it miss priced only once did I get it for the miss priced value even after specifically saying this is the price right ? Yes that is the price, get to the till/checkout "computer says no" TiT

I used to shop at a  24 hour supermarket in a southern college town in the US that ran specials on Fridays. They'd announce the specials in the newspapers midweek and they also promised if you were charged more than the advertised price, you'd get the item free or half priced or whatever it was. Whoever put the sale prices in the computer either showed up after sunrise ( I liked shopping around 5 in the morning on Friday when there were few people and no traffic to contend with) or else he was really incompetent. 

Week after week I'd get something free or discounted because the price charged was not the advertised special price. We're not talking about a couple of times. The first few times I found it amusing and thought I just got lucky but it was a weekly event.  After awhile I stopped pointing out the errors. It became more embarrassing than amusing. TiUSA

On 10/05/2018 at 4:35 PM, Once Bitten said:

After the original sales assistant admitted that she did say  '' everything '' is under warranty during the first year, that should have been enough .

First of all I don't believe that the sales assistant would admit or even remember what she said at the time of your purchase, which probably was more than 6 months ago, as you have 10.000 km already.

Secondly, I'm also sure that you understand that warranty on everything doesn't include damages caused by your own, because the rubber doesn't move inside on its own.

The OP is stressing over  a consumable part in a Suzuki Carry? Maybe he should consider a Chery for his next purchase, so he can really get to the bottom of the food chain.

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2018 at 7:35 PM, Once Bitten said:

I agree may be the pressure washer did cause this problem ,( but not sure )  but no one at the dealership when purchasing the vehicle ever said do not use a pressure washer , and nothing is shown in the owners manual that warns owners not to use a pressure washer . I think there must be a high numbers of forum members here who have their vehicles pressure washed without giving it a second thought .

After the original sales assistant admitted that she did say  '' everything '' is under warranty during the first year, that should have been enough . The service department manager should have said , look be very careful if you use a power washer as it could damage this part , then the service manager should have said , no charge for the new clutch fork rubber boot cover , just for good customer relations , but no they continued  to push us for payment :w00t:

Some times common sense is needed, not taking a swipe at you.

I have a Ford Ranger, its 2 years old and I have had a look at those high pressure blasters, the only thing they would be good for in my opinion is taking your paint off your car.

I totally understand your frustration, principal and all, but I have learned in Thailand to let go as its not worth getting your nickers in a knot.

Just the other day at my 75,000km service, I said to the Ford guy that the rear seat that the kids rest their back on, has never been locked into place, they looked at it and came to me with a part in the plastic sleeve and said 350 baht, I said yeh fine, naturally I said to myself why should I pay for it, I am already up for 4,150 baht for the service with "free labour" because its the 75,000km service and then said its for my kids safety, grin and bear it, then he comes back with the part that was on the car and said, is ok, no charge, in other words after playing around for an hour they worked out that the back of the seat wasn't lined up enough to lock into place, and then did so, saving me 350 baht.

The way I see it is services here are cheap, cars are cheap, a lot of things are cheap compared to the west, so it all balances out, I am surprised no one has called you a cheap Charlie, not that I am insinuating that at all, but you have to get ride of the principal thing her ein Thailand in order to enjoy living here, life is too short mate. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 5:04 PM, worgeordie said:

" filter + oil  ( no charge for the labor  ) total 1,750 Baht" I think they overcharged

you for the oil and filter, just couple hours ago ,had oil change,oil filter and diesel

filter changed at A.C.T. total cost 1.080 Thb, that was for Isuzu truck.

regards worgeordie

I pay 10000 for the same thing...

17 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I had a similar interaction to the OP with a hotel owner in Korat about the over pressured bum sprayer in our bathroom... :coffee1:

Hope you didn't blow an O-ring that time.

After 107,000 Km and 20 years, I've never felt the need to wash the underside or engine of my Toyota pickup.   I've washed the top side a dozen times. 

I never let them wash under the car beyond the wheel-wells.

I can see how the pressure could blow the cover in the housing, And I would guess the clutch operating damaged it.

Assuming that’s the case, I would not think it should be covered under the warranty.

That they had it in stock would indicate it is a relatively common issue.

I am just quite flabbergasted that you would be such a prick and take 295 baht from that poor sales girl that took verbal responsibility for her verbal mistake. 

I doubt very much she ate it. In any event, if everything is not covered, she should not say it is.

8 hours ago, mogandave said:

I doubt very much she ate it. In any event, if everything is not covered, she should not say it is.

If at the time of sale she had told him that some parts are not covered. 

He still would have bought the car anyway. He would have washed it the same way anyway. And he would have had to pay 590 anyway.  It is a standard clause that is in the contract for all new car sales. No matter who says what, the onus is on the borrower/buyer to read fully the contract before signing. 

So he A. Did not read the contract. B. Did not research correct car care. As it turns out this car care issue is very well known.

It is really petty that he would take 295 baht from her measly salary on commission, when he clearly was at fault himself.