Video: Back to school and back fighting - Thai media reports on Bangkok schools at war

webfact

Video: Back to school and back fighting - Thai media reports on Bangkok schools at war

3pm.jpg

video screenshot

CH7NEWS showed a video of two groups of students fighting in the street in Samrong before going back to school.

The students were armed with sticks, pieces of metal, hammers and rocks.

Locals spoke of the violence erupting in the morning then continuing after school.

A curry seller said it was lucky all her customers had gone as the violence happened around her shop.

It happened just meters from a police booth and police were able to stop it.

Later a meeting was arranged with the two rival groups and their parents in an effort to stop the violence.

Source: CH7NEWS

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-25

I saw the start of one a few days back whilst driving home on King Kaew Road, 4 or 5 motorcycles, all with two students on, spotted someone on a song taew, they were giving the finger etc then they all stopped I could see them in my mirror waiting for the song taew.  I did a u turn and came back round but the police were already there and everyone had scarpered..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, quandow said:

I blame a large part of this on elementary schools. More and more the kids are told to sit in their chairs or sit in an orderly fashion during recess/break times. They aren't given the time and freedom to learn how to interact in a social setting, how to work out their problems reasonably, until they reach a point like THESE poor kids. The only thing they seem to know is "attack." This is becoming a very angry society.

I agree with you 1000000000%  

... or they were told they could not use the cell phone to speak to their friends in class... Administration, parents, and rule makers need to enforce the proper behaviors.

58 minutes ago, quandow said:

I blame a large part of this on elementary schools. More and more the kids are told to sit in their chairs or sit in an orderly fashion during recess/break times. They aren't given the time and freedom to learn how to interact in a social setting, how to work out their problems reasonably, until they reach a point like THESE poor kids. The only thing they seem to know is "attack." This is becoming a very angry society.

Not sure where you ever taught but any school I have been to the breaks and lunch are never over-supervised.  Kids sit with who they want to eat what they want and do what they want within reason).  They grow up in a very social setting and to a certain extent, I feel it is overly social.

29 minutes ago, Rhys said:

... or they were told they could not use the cell phone to speak to their friends in class... Administration, parents, and rule makers need to enforce the proper behaviors.

Rhys

Are you a teacher?  Do you really think that Suzie lining to her friends during math class is a good idea and a proper behavior?  Why would you want your child playing games on the phone or texting with friends when the teacher is trying to teach them. Your students must really learn a lot.

The problem with smartphones has been proven that they do not create a social culture but restrict the cultural influences to a few people.  You can not talk in a group with other people if you are on the phone.  Kids and adults are for the most part ruining their ability to have a meaningful conversation because they limit themselves to their phones.https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mental-mishaps/201401/cell-phones-are-changing-social-interaction

The problem is that the kids that are put into the x/8 and higher classes learn quickly that there is nothing for them out there.  They are treated differently in school teachers just put in time with them.  They finish school not because they have to but they are 16 and can.  Nowhere along the line are the students taught self-responsibility.  Most I think go to these schools because they either do not want to or cannot find a job.  Then the 16-year-old teen peer pressure sets in.  If you want to be part of the world you have to choose to be a loner, part of the nerd, jocks or the tough group.  

There was school rivalry when I went to school and there will always be school rivalry.  For those that are the techie, it shows in the school competitions. sports on the field or floor for those that have no skills there is only one way to show it.

There really is no major way to resolve it in a PC culture.  In the non PC world, the solution is simple.  As these kids are arrested or identified move them to a military disciplined environment where they have to work together and are taught other means to resolve issues.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Later a meeting was arranged with the two rival groups and their parents in an effort to stop the violence.

Two rival groups?!...Why doesn't the media just cut to the chase and call it what it really is; two rival gangs...

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

Enforce?

Enforce what?

Are you serious?

2 hours ago, quandow said:

Compulsory schooling is not there to benefit the "student" they are there to be indoctrinated into becoming wage earning, tax paying & obedient citizens! Can't see why they would want to rebel! no other generation has ever done this, or did I miss something?  :ohmy:  

• Haha 1