Donating my body to medical research when I die

malagateddy

Hello all,

I'm 67 years young but when I pop off I would like to donate my body to medical research here in Thailand.

I live with my Thai wife in the Chaiyaphum province.

I have no living relatives in the UK..my home country.

Could anyone advise me on the way forward re who to contact..Thai Red Cross?..local hospital?..etc

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You would need to know your Embassy requirements for issuing a death certificate e.g. some require the body undergo autopsy. However...

https://english.redcross.or.th/node/51
Thanks for replying.
2 months ago I wrote to the Consular section of the British Embassy about this..NO REPLY TO DATE!!!
One month ago I emailed them.. once again NO REPLY!!!
That's the state of affairs right now.
Just wonder what they do down in Wireless Road!!!

2 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Thanks for replying.
2 months ago I wrote to the Consular section of the British Embassy about this..NO REPLY TO DATE!!!

Try the phone...ask to speak to the English head honcho....:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Thanks for replying.

Don't know if still valid, but should give a heads up on processes, try calling to check

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-relating-to-deaths-in-thailand

A couple of years back my Thai son researched this subject here in Chiang Mai, I don't know all the details, but I can remember my son saying:

- Yes it's possible, more likely to be a university medical school which has a teaching hospital that would 'sign you up'.

- There's a general age limit in terms of acceptance of the body for research (i don't know the specific age) unless there's some unusual medical condition which really needs more research.

- Above the age limit, death from natural causes is not that interesting for research.

- If the deceased is below the age limit the signed agreement is that the body will be transferred to the hospital / medical school etc., very quickly.

- A twist - You can sign up seperately to donate organs, again the signed agreement says that the body will be passed quickly to the hospital / medical school for quick harvesting and distribution to folks waiting for an organ.

I'm guessing that Sheryl or NancyL would be quite knowledgeable on this subject.

Yes you can do it and age is no limit. That only applies if you want to donate organs.

Make a will stating what you want to do with your body after death.

Go to the local hospital and talk to them.

They will be more than happy. 

If you are married you need to discuss it with your wife.

Goodluck.

• Like 1

You can contact the Kon Khen University, medical school, department of anatomy. They have forms available in order to register. But my source mentions that distance (transportation) may be a criteria and confirmed that being a foreigner implies - as mentioned above - some specific paperwork

Nice idea from you

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mitker said:

You can contact the Kon Khen University, medical school, department of anatomy. They have forms available in order to register. But my source mentions that distance (transportation) may be a criteria and confirmed that being a foreigner implies - as mentioned above - some specific paperwork

Nice idea from you

A few years ago Luang Phor Koon donated his body to medical research in Khon Kaen. He died in a Korat hospital.  

The teaching hospitals all have forms you can sign for this. The closest such is KKU. I am not sure if non-teaching govt hospitals will take donations but they might, you can ask.

Your Embassy will have to give the local authorities (or hospital if you die in one) permission to release your body but this can be done by phone. Their role is just to ensure next of kin are notified so where there is a Thai spouse it is easily done. It is when there is no legal spouse or child or other close relative on the scene here in Thailand that it gets complicated and takes time.

• Like 2

I am 68. I have an organ donation card for when after I die from back home, got it before I retired to Thailand so I decided to sign up here for the same.......Sooooooooorrrrrry...no can do, too old was the answer....no want over 50.

God, I thought to myself, bad enough not being wanted when one's alive.....but not even being wanted when.donating one's body after death is a big rough 555.

PS...I said to the guy at the hospital where they were asking people to sign up.....somebody in need of one of.my "spare parts"  may not be so choosy.

PS...They wouldn't even accept my blood for the same reason. An English person was in the Chiang Mai hospital needing blood, the appeal went out on this forum.

Edited by dotpoom

34 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I am 68. I have an organ donation card for when after I die from back home, got it before I retired to Thailand so I decided to sign up here for the same.......Sooooooooorrrrrry...no can do, too old was the answer....no want over 50.

God, I thought to myself, bad enough not being wanted when one's alive.....but not even being wanted when.donating one's body after death is a big rough 555.

PS...I said to the guy at the hospital where they were asking people to sign up.....somebody in need of one of.my "spare parts"  may not be so choosy.

PS...They wouldn't even accept my blood for the same reason. An English person was in the Chiang Mai hospital needing blood, the appeal went out on this forum.

I am the same age as you and still have an organ donor card or it’s on my Australian drivers licence.

If you think about it realistically even if you are healthy and have looked after yourself your organs are getting close to their use by date and cannot imagine that it would be practical to implant into a younger body.

One part still works very well but I don’t think they do those sort of transplants !!!

My body donation is written in my will - to medical science - wouldn't think or bother me what country Id be in when you "pop your clogs"also any body parts they want to use - they can - anything they don't want up to the country I'm in - I don't think I'll be upset or complaining 

Edited by phil2407

4 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

My body donation is written in my will - wouldn't think or bother me what country Id be in when you "pop your clogs"also any body parts they want to use - they can - anything they don't want up to the country I'm in - I don't think I'll be upset or complaining 

It may be in your Will but make sure a hospital will accept it.

A friend tried that - hospital didn't want it, cost his widow 200,000 Baht for the funeral.

10 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Thanks for replying.

............Wireless Road??  didn't they all that property??

19 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Thanks for replying.

You may be uncertain about what to do next or who to contact for advice. Staff in
the Consular Directorate of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London
and our Embassy in Bangkok stand ready to help you as far as they can.

I'm the OP's same age, in Chiang Mai.  I just got my laminated donator card, complete with mug shot, with numbers to call for pick-up.  This is with the Chiang Mai University Department of Anatomy at Maharaj Hospital on Suthep Road.  They have a form to fill out, two witness signatures, include a pp photo.  The office is through the back entry to the anatomy building, floor just above street level, first office door on your right as you enter.  Everything and all signs are in Thai so it takes some effort to find.  They will not take your body if you are HIV positive, have an infectious disease or die in a messy accident.  They pick up within 200 kilometers.

I'm grateful that some student may learn something from what's left of me and in turn may alleviate another's suffering and thrilled that some cute student will get to see me naked one last time.  555.

On 6/27/2018 at 11:43 AM, malagateddy said:

I'm 67 years young but when I pop off I would like to donate my body to medical research here in Thailand.

KK queen Sirikite teaching hospital will not accept foreign bodies only Thai, probably because of the problems involved.

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

KK queen Sirikite teaching hospital will not accept foreign bodies only Thai, probably because of the problems involved.

There was a thread on here early last year ( i think ) where i posted that none of the hospitals in Khonkaen were prepared to accept foreign bodies, only Thai, i know because i asked and was told NO.

Edited by colinneil

Thanks to Sheryl and all the other posters for their advice.
Come Friday the 19th of this month..my Wife and I will be going through to Khonkaen.
We will pop into KKU.Medical Dept. and ask if they will accept my body for research purposes come my demise.
I will have our Marriage Certs. ... my Passport..Yellow House Book..Thai ID Card etc with me.
I will tell yhem that I have no living relatives in the UK.
Will let you know how I get on.
Once again Thanks.

On 6/28/2018 at 5:32 PM, just bob said:

I'm the OP's same age, in Chiang Mai.  I just got my laminated donator card, complete with mug shot, with numbers to call for pick-up.  This is with the Chiang Mai University Department of Anatomy at Maharaj Hospital on Suthep Road.  They have a form to fill out, two witness signatures, include a pp photo.  The office is through the back entry to the anatomy building, floor just above street level, first office door on your right as you enter.  Everything and all signs are in Thai so it takes some effort to find.  They will not take your body if you are HIV positive, have an infectious disease or die in a messy accident.  They pick up within 200 kilometers.

I'm grateful that some student may learn something from what's left of me and in turn may alleviate another's suffering and thrilled that some cute student will get to see me naked one last time.  555.

I hope the student isn’t dissapointed maybe not if rigor mortis has set in ???

• 3 weeks later...

Re my post..
Sadly KKU Medical School cannot accept my body when I pop off.
Seemingly there was a "row" when an American "popped off" and left his body to Medical Research...his family in America "kicked up you know what".
Now they will not accept nonThai.
They were very apologetic about it and thanked me for my offer.
So that's that..I tried..seems like I'm off to the big fire in time to come.
Thanks to all who posted previously

On 6/27/2018 at 3:34 PM, Mitker said:

I knew a German guy who donated his body. He had to go to KK teaching hospital. 6 hour round trip to fill the forms out. When he died it was all straight forward in that he was put on ice at the local government hospital before being used. After one year the body is, or it was in this case, taken to the Suranaree University Hospital in Korat where they had a service for family members before being cremated.