Man sprays Maryland newsroom with gunfire, kills at least five

webfact

Man sprays Maryland newsroom with gunfire, kills at least five

By Warren Strobel

2018-06-28T200402Z_1_LYNXMPEE5R2BB_RTROPTP_3_MARYLAND-SHOOTING.JPG

Police officers talk to a man as they respond to an active shooter inside a city building in Annapolis, Maryland, U.S., June 28, 2018. REUTERS/Greg Savoy

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (Reuters) - A gunman fired through a glass door at a newspaper office in the Maryland capital of Annapolis and sprayed the newsroom with gunfire on Thursday, killing at least five people and injuring several others, authorities said.

The suspect has been apprehended and no motive is known for the attack at the Capital Gazette office, local political leaders said, adding they believe he acted alone.

A reporter for the newspaper described the scene in the newsroom as being "like a war zone," with reporters hiding under their desks for safety.

2018-06-28T204803Z_1_LYNXMPEE5R2EB_RTROPTP_4_MARYLAND-SHOOTING-(1).jpg

New York Police officers are seen deployed outside the New York Times building following a fatal shooting at a Maryland newspaper, in New York City, U.S., June 28, 2018. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Phil Davis, who identified himself as a courts and crime reporter at the Capital Gazette, which runs multiple newspapers in its Annapolis office, tweeted that multiple people had been shot.

Davis said in an interview with the Baltimore Sun, which owns the Gazette, that he and others were still hiding under their desks when the shooter stopped firing.

"I don't know why. I don't know why he stopped," he said. "But as much as I'm going to try to articulate how traumatising it is to be hiding under your desk, you don't know until you're there and you feel helpless."

One law enforcement source told CBS News the suspect is a male in his 20s who had no identification on him. Two law enforcement sources told CBS News the suspect used a shotgun and CNN reported he was not being cooperative with police.

Law enforcement in Baltimore and New York City deployed protective forces to major media outlets as a precaution, authorities said.

For now, the Annapolis shooting is being treated as a local incident and not one that involves terrorism, a law enforcement official said. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is on the scene assisting local authorities, the official said.

Davis later said he was safe and being interviewed by police. The daily newspaper and sister publications has an editorial staff of around 45 supported by a sales and advertising team of about 10 staff, according to the company's website.

Police said they were on the scene in about a minute from the initial call about the shooting.

President Donald Trump has been briefed on the shooting, White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. Thank you to all of the First Responders who are currently on the scene," Trump said in a tweet.

Police went to the offices of the Baltimore Sun as a precaution, that paper reported.

The New York Police Department said it was beefing up security at New York-based news organizations as a precaution.

"We're deploying units from our Critical Response Command to news outlets throughout New York City," said Officer Andrew Lava, an NYPD spokesman.

"There is no active threat at this time," he said.

Agents from the Baltimore office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were responding to the incident, the bureau tweeted.

Police are checking the building in Annapolis for explosives and whether more than one suspect was involved, Anne Arundel County police spokesman, Lieutenant Ryan Frashure, told reporters.

Live video images showed people leaving the building, walking through a parking lot with their hands in the air. Scores of police vehicles were on the scene.

(Writing by Jon Herskovitz; Additional reporting by Mark Hosenball and Jeff Mason in Washington, DC, Colleen Jenkins in North Carolina, Frank McGurty and Peter Szekely in New York, Bernie Woodall in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Andrew Hay in New Mexico; Editing by Daniel Wallis, Phil Berlowitz and Richard Chang)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-29
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PBarnfeather said:

I am honestly curious. How much of the gun carnage in USA is Muslims??? Newspapers don't like to publish that information.

Im 100% sure all of them is Christian immigrants, or most of them, the natives do not kill to many!

Edited by Hummin

How is that guns or US gun laws make people go out and kill a bunch of other people?

I would imagine if a person is hell bent on killing a bunch of people and didnt have a gun he/she would find another way to accomplish that mission.

Sorry people, its not the tools that can kill people, its the people that want to kill people. That is where the focus should be.

Edited by dcutman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

14 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Are you living in a cave. or under some rock somewhere? Trump has no intention of doing anything about this, he just doesn't give a damn, no matter how many mass shootings there are. Home of the brave, land of the free. But only if you have a gun ...

Not true, he gives prayers.

• Haha 2

The claim that the media, specifically something referred to as ‘MSM’ and ‘Liberal media’ are attempting to stop, undermine, lie about or otherwise undermine Trump is a central and often repeated message throughout Trump’s campaign and presidency.

This same message is often parroted by Trump supporters here on TVF.

If Trump is offering any prayers he ought to offer a few in the hope this attack was not carried out by one of his supporters wound up with Trumps attacks on the press.

• Thanks 1

Something needs to "give" here in the USA, peoples lives and the horrors that those left behind, endure. I am personally deeply saddened when I hear of these killings.

If it were up to me:

ONE: I would scrap the constitution of the USA!

Now before people become incandescent with rage or accuse me of click bait, etc.. 

Britain, Israel, New Zealand, et al. Function very well, as robust democracies without constitutions. 

USA, has a reasonably robust commitment to the rule of law, with precedents going back centuries.

TWO: I would enshrine - in law - REFERENDUMS. Give back power to the people, in turn remove it from the rich & powerful. A global study of those (democratic) countries could be adapted to the USA.  

I realise it would be hard, given the USA constitution has become almost "biblical". (Due to indoctrination by the wealthy dynasties??)

NOTHING I can say to those deceased OR their families, except my heart goes out to you all...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BB1958 said:

Something needs to "give" here in the USA, peoples lives and the horrors that those left behind, endure. I am personally deeply saddened when I hear of these killings.

If it were up to me:

ONE: I would scrap the constitution of the USA!

Now before people become incandescent with rage or accuse me of click bait, etc.. 

Britain, Israel, New Zealand, et al. Function very well, as robust democracies without constitutions. 

USA, has a reasonably robust commitment to the rule of law, with precedents going back centuries.

TWO: I would enshrine - in law - REFERENDUMS. Give back power to the people, in turn remove it from the rich & powerful. A global study of those (democratic) countries could be adapted to the USA.  

I realise it would be hard, given the USA constitution has become almost "biblical". (Due to indoctrination by the wealthy dynasties??)

NOTHING I can say to those deceased OR their families, except my heart goes out to you all...

Sorry mate the NRA will NEVER permit referendums in the USA...

• Like 1

The American’s obsession with their right to bare arms has a price. The nation is divided on the true cost of this price. Until they wake up to themselves, this will just be a continuum of carnage for a nation with its fair share of crackpots willing to do these kinds of barbaric acts and having the full facility rights to carry them out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MalandLee said:

Sorry mate the NRA will NEVER permit referendums in the USA...

I suspect your right, if they did permit the people to comment on the second amendment exclusively, I suspect there would be radical changes. They will argue that you get your chance to have your say when you vote for your president/representative.  

Edited by BB1958
typo

Is it an axiom that those who say "Thoughts and prayers" are guaranteed not to say prayers (for whatever they refer to)?

Or do some of them actually follow thru and attempt telepathic communication with a 2,000 year old Jewish zombie?

I would think the odds of this being successful are less than 100%.

And what is the point of praying to the same being who permitted the event to transpire?

Archaic meaningless and vulgar cliche.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is the dude.  A real nutbag....

https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/jarrod-ramos/

“She stopped writing back and told him to stop, but he continued. When she blocked him from seeing her Facebook page, he found things she wrote on other people’s pages and taunted her with it, attaching screenshots of the postings to some of his emails,” Hartley wrote. “She called police, and for months he stopped. But then he started again, nastier than ever.

All this without having seen her in person since high school. They never met until they came to court a couple of months ago.”

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:
2 hours ago, sanemax said:

TBH, I and sick to death of talking about Trump .

Every thread seems to end up talking about Trump .

Someone will be along soon to blame Obama 

Hopefully Mods will be along soon to delete all these  off-topic posts

Well it is all Trumps fault because he  invented guns and gave them to all his supporters and then wrote the second amendment so they couldn't be taken away. Or maybe none of that is true?

precisely and furthermore via seance, alfred nobel thought trump merits a prize due to his invention(guns) using gunpowder.

• Like 1

Nutjob random mass killings are embedded in the American psyche as much as Mom's apple pie. It is difficult to see a workable solution that would be acceptable to all.

As this was an attack on a newsroom, I think this event will focus the mind of journalists in the country and they will give the whole issue a prolonged prominence. Let's hope some progress can be made.

Edited by champers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Its just the way Americans are , no one can change that .

Americans love guns and they like killing people , thats just the way that it is

Some cultures evolve,some don't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Horrible for all concerned. Things wont improve while that waste of space is POTUS 

Trump will suggest all newspaper workers be armed and trained in weapons usage no doubt.

Ironically don had the chance to be trained in weapons usage when he was drafted but daddy used his money so his coward son didnt have to do his duty and serve his country.

>>>...do his duty and serve his country.<<<

You mean serve Wall Street and MIC, don't you ?

You and your country are always paying for the war, while others reap the profit.

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Yup, as above, & so the gun carnage continues in the US, which then somehow gets defended by the gun totin' crowd.

Laughable really, if it wasn't so tragic.

I presume you want stricter gun laws?

You think that is a solution?

Then please be so kind to explain what to do about illegal guns?

The police anywhere in the world would like to know that.

And what about, in the US, the 100+ traffic deaths.....per day?

Or the "medical" oopses, resulting in 60+ deaths a day?

Yes, those shootings are tragic, very much so.

But even in countries with very strict gun laws, shootings happen.

With illegal guns, that is.

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

???  I've been around guns all my life.  Had my very own rifle at about age 13.  Took it on an airplane as an unaccompanied minor one time.  Up in the cabin.  With ammo.

I have 10 handguns and 10 rifles/shotguns and a couple-three thousand rounds of ammunition.  Probably have well in excess of 150 knives.  Dozens of deadly drills, saws, grinders.  Perhaps 60 hammers and countless screwdrivers, some as long as 2 feet.  I have a half dozen lawn mowers and weed eaters that will hurt you in a heartbeat. 

Tools and toys... Restrain morons and madmen ...

Yes guns are tools used to kill.. and guess what that is what people do with them kill other people. Sure you can kill someone with a screwdriver but its easier with a gun.

The USA is the only place that has these mass shootings and guess what its linked to your gun policies. The dead pay so others can have the freedom to own guns. Its either the guns or the US has a crazier populace (i go for the guns).

That being said I don't think that gun restrictions will work, too many guns over there already the cat is out of the bag, I would not have a solution for this problem.

6 minutes ago, hansnl said:

I presume you want stricter gun laws?

You think that is a solution?

Then please be so kind to explain what to do about illegal guns?

The police anywhere in the world would like to know that.

And what about, in the US, the 100+ traffic deaths.....per day?

Or the "medical" oopses, resulting in 60+ deaths a day?

Yes, those shootings are tragic, very much so.

But even in countries with very strict gun laws, shootings happen.

With illegal guns, that is.

I happens nowhere as often as in the US only the pro gun lobby try to pretend otherwise.

Guns have no use other then to kill people.

Transportation kills but people need to be transported

Dr's fail but they help people too again a good thing that has some problems but to compare it with guns is crazy.

But you make a good point about the illegal guns, I don't think that the US can change and make things safe. It just wont work too many illegal guns and legal guns around.  This will just go on and on and get worse and worse.