Saturday Night on Nimmanhamin===LAME!

heybruce

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I believe her on the money.

Not much mandatory studying done on many courses, quite a bit of copying.

Generally (but not always), if you can pay the course fees, you can graduate.

And there's always the securing of funding for a PhD in Korea to consider...

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...and you sound a bit boring too.

OMG! Listen to you.

You're making that up aren't you?

No.  Why do you ask?  Do you think young Thais from poor families can't study hard and do well?

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And there's always the securing of funding for a PhD in Korea to consider...

She has a full scholarship with paid work in the university's research laboratory.  She is developing a polymer that can be used as a framework for stem cells which will then develop into joints that can be surgically implanted.

None of this is unusual for promising students studying in high demand fields.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That and how much extra heybruce is paying for the GFE...

Wrong again.  You guys have got to get past your stereotypes.  I know they are comforting and relieve you of the need to think, but they're wrong.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

True for some universities in Thailand, not for all.  It is clear your rich student friend does not go to Chiang Mai University.

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

One female student I know, her parents give her 60k/month in spending money.

This isn't enough for her spending needs and she claims to earn another 60k in 'tips' while working as a 'pretty' in one of these beer bars. I wouldn't describe either her or her parents as 'desperately poor'

There isn't that much difference in how 'pretties' earn money, although the outward appearance (and the prices OMG) may seem different. Agree TBL totally wrong, never seen a ladyboy at Oxide or Milk Club, usually the Thai beer bars won't employ them. Never seen anyplace in CM with prettier girls than Milk Club.

Students getting that much money from their parents are a small minority, I don't know any. 

The Milk Club pays 15,000 baht a month, I assume the women also get to keep tips.  That's a lot of money for a young woman with no degree.  Any student with a secure income of 60k a month who works as a pretty is doing it because she likes the job/attention, or is gold-digging.

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...but are NOT mutually exclusive. Never have been, and never will be.

True, but is that not true of students, models and waitresses all over the world?

I have never seen a pretty bar-fined and leaving with a customer.  If a man can arrange meetings with one of these woman outside of work, what happens is between the two of them

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, she does.

Must be studying in a BS major. 

The students I worked with were primarily studying engineering, material science, chemistry, or economics.  I helped them with some of their English language homework, and sometimes their math (professors have a confusing habit of skipping steps when presenting derivations).  It was demanding stuff. 

Edited by heybruce

as a general rule, the pretties aren't even allowed to sit with you.  They do hustle meals from customers in some of the dorgy places, but not the agency type pretties.  So, by making a night of going to one of those places, you have almost ruled out a mattress actress....that leaves you in a foray of ladyboys in Thapae or going with a tuktuk....at that point, staying home comes into play.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

as a general rule, the pretties aren't even allowed to sit with you.  They do peach meals from customers in some of the dirty places, but not the agency type pretties.  So, by making a night of going to one of those places, you have almost ruled out a mattress actress....that leaves you in a foray of ladyboys in Thapae or going with a tuktuk....at that point, staying home comes into play.

When I have nothing planned with friends and don't feel like staying in the condo, I enjoy an evening of Thai food and cold beer served by a smiling pretty.  If they're not busy they sometimes hang around and practice English with me.  I don't try to take them home, I know better.

About once a year I'll stroll down Loi Kroh to see if anything has changed for the better.  Every time it has changed for the worse.  Given a choice between Loi Kroh and a pretty bar, I'll go for the pretties every time.

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

When I have nothing planned with friends and don't feel like staying in the condo, I enjoy an evening of Thai food and cold beer served by a smiling pretty.  If they're not busy they sometimes hang around and practice English with me.  I don't try to take them home, I know better.

About once a year I'll stroll down Loi Kroh to see if anything has changed for the better.  Every time it has changed for the worse.  Given a choice between Loi Kroh and a pretty bar, I'll go for the pretties every time.

but, if you had a place to go with fair prices and lots of westerners meeting freelancers, without the phone zombies of the thai places, or the grumpy brooder s of the western places; I doubt the ice in beer places would still be appealing, but yeah, if you really want to get out, it is a safe choice...but then there are those closing times...I didn't even know I was having a really good day until 2am, today..what on earth would my options have been in CM?, let alone if I had just circumvented 14 time zones to get here.

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

but, if you had a place to go with fair prices and lots of westerners meeting freelancers, without the phone zombies of the thai places, or the grumpy brooder s of the western places; I doubt the ice in beer places would still be appealing, but yeah, if you really want to get out, it is a safe choice...but then there are those closing times...I didn't even know I was having a really good day until 2am, today..what on earth would my options have been in CM?, let alone if I had just circumvented 14 time zones to get here.

There is a difference between living somewhere and going on holiday there.  I go out once or twice a week.  I preferred the days when I had the option of staying out past midnight, but it's not a big deal for me.  I also have no problem finding places that have "lock-ins" all night, but find them boring.

However  I would go to a place that had fair prices and lots of attractive freelances (the female kind, not the aggressive ladyboys).  Sometimes I'd look for the "love of my nighttime", most times I would just enjoy the show.  I've never seen such a place in Chiang Mai.  Long ago Loi Kroh came close, but I'm pretty sure the ladies were full-time pros.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

One female student I know, her parents give her 60k/month in spending money.

This isn't enough for her spending needs and she claims to earn another 60k in 'tips' while working as a 'pretty' in one of these beer bars. I wouldn't describe either her or her parents as 'desperately poor'

There isn't that much difference in how 'pretties' earn money, although the outward appearance (and the prices OMG) may seem different. Agree TBL totally wrong, never seen a ladyboy at Oxide or Milk Club, usually the Thai beer bars won't employ them. Never seen anyplace in CM with prettier girls than Milk Club.

I was referring to the first photo that was taken in front of Milk. It's full of ladyboys. I have no idea if they actually work in Milk. The second photo of pretties is of females. 

There are at least 2 bar beers on Loi Kroh that employ ladyboys, but a lot less ladyboys around than in Pattaya.

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

I, and many other expats in Chiang Mai, know where to find hookers and know where to find places where good Thai food and cold beer are served by pretties with a smile.  We also know the two, hookers and pretties, aren't the same.  Sorry to discredit your stereotype.

LOL. The difference between hookers and pretties would only be the price. However, believe the myth if it makes you feel better.

There are photos on TVF of 3 young pretties from a famous Bkk beer garden that went to Samui with a customer. I'm sure he wasn't paying them for their beer pouring skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

True for some universities in Thailand, not for all.  It is clear your rich student friend does not go to Chiang Mai University.

Thanks for the reply to that clueless denigration.

Our two daughters graduated from CMU and went on to get post-graduate degrees in Thailand and the UK.

My Thai wife and I are far from being rich in anything except the love and support shown by all members of our family. 

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. The difference between hookers and pretties would only be the price. However, believe the myth if it makes you feel better.

There are photos on TVF of 3 young pretties from a famous Bkk beer garden that went to Samui with a customer. I'm sure he wasn't paying them for their beer pouring skills.

That could just as easily happen with waitresses in any other country.  Are you saying all waitresses are prostitutes?

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was referring to the first photo that was taken in front of Milk. It's full of ladyboys. I have no idea if they actually work in Milk. The second photo of pretties is of females. 

There are at least 2 bar beers on Loi Kroh that employ ladyboys, but a lot less ladyboys around than in Pattaya.

If you think these are ladyboys, you need to get your eyes examined.    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Milk-Club-1521228941499413/photos/?ref=page_internal

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's not the photo.

The photo on this topic is the same photo on Milk Club's FB page, and the women in that photo are the same one in the FB pictures, and they do work there.  I've checked.