Rescue Diver Killed In Tham Luang Cave Complex

webfact

Give them 6 months of food and wait until the Monsoon Rains have stopped. And then charge the coach for entering the cave when it said closed from July to February. They entered the cave June 23rd, but still. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

If another car drove into your car and it was his fault and you died then you would have been "killed in a car crash" but if you drove into a tree and died you would have "died in a car crash". Killed by someone, or died by your own action. 
Not in the US. Used all the time. "Killed by falling debris" "killed in a tragic accident" etc. Perhaps it varies by country but this usage is certainly not unknown.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Terrible. An outcome no one wanted to see but an all too common occurrence during risky rescue operations. 

I truly feel for everybody especially the family of this precious soul. RIP and hope nothing else goes wrong to add to this tragedy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

RIP to the diver.  We don't know if it was a medical condition who led to his death or just a lack of oxygen. 

But it just shows you need the very best men down there to rescue the kids.

I hope the Brits will stay around and can come up with a survivable solution .

They talk about rescue them today or tomorrow , to avoid more flooding, but right now I would not be so sure .

All I know is living for 4 months inside the cave with enough food and oxygen IS survivable.   

Who are "They"

1 hour ago, RT555 said:

Give them 6 months of food and wait until the Monsoon Rains have stopped. And then charge the coach for entering the cave when it said closed from July to February. They entered the cave June 23rd, but still. 

Charge him for something that was lawful?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Sad piece of news. Condolence to the family. Hope this sad news don't dampen the spirit of the rescue personnel. I don't see the logic of transferring the Governor at this crucial period after he has lead and coordinating the operation in the last 13 days. Really not the time for politics at this crucial stage. 

transfer was in the pipeline for months already. just a bureaucratic process and unfortunate timing

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

RT @digitalay 11:15 AM

image.png

May the deceased RIP after giving the highest sacrifice in servicing others.

with six water pumping stations in the cave, unless they are electric, for sure the air will be contaminated.
Also with many diesel fumes outside, the air fills could be a risk factor especially on long dives with high air consumption, unless the compressor stations were put in a clean air  location. 

May the deceased RIP after giving the highest sacrifice in servicing others.

(Something like this air pollution happened in a cave near Moscow when someone bright decided to bring a generator so they could turn up the music louder and keep the vodka cool. As far as I know, fire brigade was called and took a bunch of unconscious revellers out. )

Edited by KKr

5 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Lol..... you use sections and connect them one at a time till it reaches.

it isn't rocket science.... Air is pumped for miles through mine shafts using that method.

You don't go out and get a 1 mile hose. ?

What isn't rocket science Brewster67 is the amount of hoses and face masks that you have running through the small confines in the total darkness for people to get tangled in. The system that you are talking about we called the Hooker system and I used it both in the Navy and also in mines rescue and it was great if you only needed 1 or 2 hoses anymore and it was dangerous.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

Absolutely correct, Sheryl. 'Killed' does not necessarily imply murder or manslaughter. This poor diver could well have been killed by a fault in his equipment. One can use the verb 'kill' in that way - it is not incorrect.

I just hope you are not another so called teacher. Do try, like I used to tell my students, you only need a dictionary if you don't know.

To cause the death of (a person, animal, or other living thing).
"her father was killed in a car crash"
synonyms: murder, cause the death of, take/end the life of, do away with, make away with, assassinate, do to death, eliminate, terminate, dispatch, finish off, put to death, execute; 

"The diver was undertaking a long dive, fell unconscious "
Anybody here able to hazard an informed guess to this tragic news?
Surely the length of the dive is no more than a dive at sea??

RIP
Likely either (1) a medical cause (arrythmia, ischemic heart disease, ruptured aneurysm etc) likely brought on or triggered by extreme exertion/exhaustion or (2) an equipment malfunction.

Really hope not #2

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Likely either (1) a medical cause (arrythmia, ischemic heart disease, ruptured aneurysm etc) likely brought on or triggered by extreme exertion/exhaustion or (2) an equipment malfunction.

Really hope not #2

So you was not a teacher but a "medical corononer".

RIP to a brave man who gave his all, sad he not as fit as he and others thought he was so sad, the oxygen could be fixed by drilling down even the drilling down could be a way of getting the boys out, why has that taken so long to do?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jackin1960 said:

I just hope you are not another so called teacher. Do try, like I used to tell my students, you only need a dictionary if you don't know.

To cause the death of (a person, animal, or other living thing).
"her father was killed in a car crash"
synonyms: murder, cause the death of, take/end the life of, do away with, make away with, assassinate, do to death, eliminate, terminate, dispatch, finish off, put to death, execute; 

Does it really matter?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:
This clip is doing the rounds on facebook, shows just how tight it is in sections.

And this is an experienced diver.

Can somebody please explain to me how a guy in deep sea gear will be able to get through a gap like that deagging his air hose behind him and walk along?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, johnarth said:

RIP to a brave man who gave his all, sad he not as fit as he and others thought he was so sad, the oxygen could be fixed by drilling down even the drilling down could be a way of getting the boys out, why has that taken so long to do?

Fully agree with your comments. I’m sure an autopsy is being conducted on this selfless hero to find the cause. According to the wife’s relative who works with the government in Chiang Rai, the drilling option is still being moved forward logistically.