Security guard blows loud whistle non stop, what can I do?

AlphaCanadian

The whistle is a act of kindness to help customers. You should have researched the area before jumping in. Your bad. 

Also, many Thai people see "anything" as a form of "Authority". Give them a whistle and they will blow out their lungs. 

Be lucky you don't live in Bandung. The night security guard in the Village comes around "every" hour and bangs on everyones fence as he goes by.  I asked my wife, why he does this. She said "to make people feel safe".  HaHa, HeHe.....and nobody will complain. They are all brainwashes by "Don't say something".  

Hope that helps.....

11 hours ago, drtreelove said:

The man's got a job. He takes it seriously. The whistle represents his sense of identity, power and self esteem. And you want to take that away from him?  It's not about public safety, it's about your inconvenience. Get some ear plugs. 

It's a lot more than an inconvenience.  This job can be easily done without the use of a whistle.

• Like 1

The security guard at the back of central festival pattaya blows pretty much non stop. You can tell by the serious look on his face that he was born for it and would likely feel less of a man without his whistle. 

The shape of his face appears to have evolved to facilitate the blowing of this thing. His rounded cheeks and beady eyes remind me of the doll in the Saw movies. 

I would write to all parties concerned

Edited by sikishrory

Amazing how many people are not sympathetic to the OP as there are issues of health and safety arising from insistent and furious whistle blowing. Some referees' whistles broach the pain threshold if heard within a couple of metres, that's how serious the issue is. All whistles exceed 100 decibels, more than a loud Harley and a wild rock concert.

And a safety issue for two reasons - first that people become inured to the sound and ignore it, which can be a problem when a genuine emergency occurs; and second, the constant and furious tweeting can cause a distraction at a critical moment. I have had experience of both these issues, hence my sympathy for the OP and anyone else who has to put up with this diabolical intrusion.

As to the suggestion that the OP should have researched the area before he moved in: How do you know the whistle blowing didn't start after he moved in? It happened to me once. 

• Like 1

As a farang your complaints to the bank will fall on deaf ears. If you can persuade a couple of your Thai neighbours to complain you may get a better result. However, good luck with that as Thais never complain.

In the first house I lived in, in Thailand, my next door neighbour had 2 sons who were mechanics with Mitsubishi, every evening they worked on "foreigners" outside their house. Often they would be hammering and bashing and using a windy gun until after midnight.

A number of my neighbours had young children and , when I talked to them, they made it clear that it was a source of intense annoyance to them too. However not one would join me in complaining to the family. Eventually, I had it out with the family but to no avail. I moved house soon afterwards.

• Like 2

Excessive whistleblowing seems to be a serious problem for some people. I'm trying to decide where to put it on the list of things in Thailand that annoy other people. Can't decide between chickens and soi dogs, motorcycle exhaust and loudspeaker music or rising alcohol and cheese prices.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

As a farang your complaints to the bank will fall on deaf ears. If you can persuade a couple of your Thai neighbours to complain you may get a better result. However, good luck with that as Thais never complain.

In the first house I lived in, in Thailand, my next door neighbour had 2 sons who were mechanics with Mitsubishi, every evening they worked on "foreigners" outside their house. Often they would be hammering and bashing and using a windy gun until after midnight.

A number of my neighbours had young children and , when I talked to them, they made it clear that it was a source of intense annoyance to them too. However not one would join me in complaining to the family. Eventually, I had it out with the family but to no avail. I moved house soon afterwards.

I wrote a letter of complaint in thai to kasikorn and it was very effective. 

If it were bangkok bank i would agree but kasikorn is pretty good if you go through the correct channels. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Man,   

That's some logic there?

Partially true they need to justify their job and pay . There are 2 of these clowns at the entrance of t21 where the zebra crossing is both blowing like crazy flapping their arms about with the traffic (always at a crawl) and pedestrians mostly ignoring them

Edited by BangkokSausage

There is a product around called Liquid Ass and it is available through Amazon. Might take a while to get but it may be worth it. Just walk around behind him and spray some on the back of his trousers. 

Also spray a bit in the bank and quickly leave a note suggesting they quieten him down or you will return.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-Mister/dp/B000OCEWGW

71Npc8TpMeL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Cadbury
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, lionsincity said:

Go down and grab the whistle out of his mouth, then stamp on it with your foot.

He should get the message then.

LOL!  I've had that vision play in my head a few times!  ?

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is there any hospital nearby ?

I ask because I used this as an excuse to have the whistles removed from the security guards at our complex. I pointed out that the Whistles will be disturbing sick patients in the hospital nearby. 

I also provided news clippings from the BKK.Post about the hinderance and annoyance of the whistle and how utterly unnecessary it is. 

Article: Google search "Blowing the Whistle on overzealous security guards"....

It worked and the security guards no longer used whistles... Good luck, chances are slim, but if handled 'just the right way' you may get what you want. 

Then again, I could hear the St. Louis Hospital's parking guy blowing his whistle from the 16th floor. There was also an ambulance, heading to St. Louis, stuck in Sathorn Road traffic, siren blaring.

Thais don't notice this crap.

17 hours ago, AlphaCanadian said:

I live just off on On Nut road.

There is a security guard who works for one of the banks and every single time someone either comes in or out of the bank in a car/scooter etc he stops traffic, blows his whistle loud for them to go in or out of the bank.

There is nothing special about the entrance to the bank and none of the apartment complexes along On Nut road have a security guard with a whistle doing this. I just don't get why this one place needs it.

It is the Kasikorn bank right by On Nut Soi 8.

There are times when the whistle literally gets blown as many as 20-30 times an hour (which may as well be non stop).

I live nearby and the noise is torture. Anyone who is experiencing it would agree.

Normally I am not one to complain but I need to do what I can.

I spoke with the lady at the front of the bank and she said she would tell him to "stop" (whatever "stop" means). Today I gestured to the security guard to be quiet.

The fact that I do not speak Thai does not help.

I need to study at home during the day and it is impossible to concentrate with all the noise. Yes I can go to the library to study but I should be able to work in my home.

I have considered saying screw this place and my deposit and finding a new home but everything else about the place is decent.

What can I do? 

This is not only for my own benefit but the noise is not benefitting anyone.

MOST IMPORTANT: He goes right into the middle of the busy road and I am willing to bet money that he is causing more accidents than he is preventing.

Last week I witnessed the aftermath of an accident and there was a man injured next to the motorcycle. I did not witness the actual accident so I do not know if the security guard caused it but there is a very good chance.

Even with the noise aside, him constantly stopping the traffic the way he does is very dangerous. That in itself is grounds for it to stop. I don't know why the bank even employs him, it makes no sense. He needs to be relieved of his traffic cop duties and stick to looking after the parking lot.

I have thought of going to the tourist police and swinging this as mainly a safety issue.

This started out for me as a noise issue but I feel a genuine obligation for the safety of others. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

How soon after you voluntarily moved in did this start happening or didn't you notice the "non-stop" whistling which was happening every 2-3 minutes when you were viewing the apartment and then signing your contract?  Or isn't it as "non-stop" as you suggest?

"... I am willing to bet money that he is causing more accidents than he is preventing".

So how many accidents has he been responsible for that you have seen in, say, the last 12 months that lead you to this bizarre accusation?  None, I'm sure, because if there had been any you would have mentioned them.

"Last week I witnessed the aftermath of an accident and there was a man injured next to the motorcycle. I did not witness the actual accident so I do not know if the security guard caused it but there is a very good chance".

There is an equally good chance that you are very wrong about blaming him for that accident that you did not witness also!  In fact, without any evidence at all that he was to blame, logically, there is just as much chance that you or I caused it!

"This started out for me as a noise issue but I feel a genuine obligation for the safety of others".

Yeah, right.   If it's really now not just about the noise why are you making a big issue about the noise! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Amazing how many people are not sympathetic to the OP as there are issues of health and safety arising from insistent and furious whistle blowing. Some referees' whistles broach the pain threshold if heard within a couple of metres, that's how serious the issue is. All whistles exceed 100 decibels, more than a loud Harley and a wild rock concert.

And a safety issue for two reasons - first that people become inured to the sound and ignore it, which can be a problem when a genuine emergency occurs; and second, the constant and furious tweeting can cause a distraction at a critical moment. I have had experience of both these issues, hence my sympathy for the OP and anyone else who has to put up with this diabolical intrusion.

As to the suggestion that the OP should have researched the area before he moved in: How do you know the whistle blowing didn't start after he moved in? It happened to me once. 

I think there's a reasonable amount of sympathy for the OP, but there's also some pragmatism.  He's chosen to live in the middle of the city.  A noisy city.  So many expats move from the quiet suburbs back home to the noisy city in Thailand and then expect the locals to adjust their decades old habits to accommodate them.  In a lot of cases, the noise they complain about is just one of the many things irritating them.  Even if that noise went away, they'd start complaining about loud scooters.  Or loud buses.  Or loud market hawkers.  Or loud neighbors with wooden shoes upstairs.  And after a few weeks/ months/ years, they won't even notice the noises- or at least not be so irritated by them.  That's why the locals don't complain.  They're acclimated.  Sure, if you ask them whether it's irritating, they think about the noise and they may agree.  But if you hadn't asked, they wouldn't pay it any attention.

Like a lot of people, I have days where my patience for things like that runs pretty thin.  But that's down to my mood, not the fault of the locals.  So I don't expect them to change their behavior because it irritates me.  I keep a bunch of the waxed foam earplugs in my home for the 10% of my life that I'm not in the mood to listen to the noise.  They're great for peace and quiet, and napping during the day, even when there is some construction going on in my neighborhood.  They completely remove any possibility of health effects from listening to the noise.  And, best of all, they require absolutely no cooperation from anyone but me to function effectively.   Leaving my peace of mind (and mental health) up to the whims of the locals is just foolish.

For those advocating active noise cancelling headphones, I don't think they'll work very well.  They're designed to cancel out constant, low frequency noises like engine noise, air conditioners, etc.  They're not as effective on transient, high frequency (shrill)  noises like whistles blowing.  There are other cheaper headphones that mimic the effect of foam earplugs, often advertised as (passive) noise cancelling, though that's misleading.  Just finding a set of cheap in-the-ear headphones with the right sized ear pieces can be a great help- if you want to listen to audio in addition to reducing the ambient noise.  But I'd put my cheap foam earplugs up against any of them for noise relief.

nothing you can do. 

bank management won't care; as far as they are concerned he's providing a highly visible, highly audible, service for the customers....bad-driving customers who NEED whistles to help them park the overpriced, oversized cars they bought with loans from that very bank.

whatever you say to the guard will piss him off, such that his whistling will be louder and oftener.  mainly because you're a foreigner who dared to correct him.  thais don't like that, and will redouble whatever activity that annoys you.

unless you can get a thai friend to approach the guard with a really lovely set of traffic direction wands with lights and a ballistic material holster of some kind that looks police-y, you only real option if you intend to stay is change your environment.

get some heavy drapes for the windows, block the window with a bookcase or wardrobe, run a fan, use earplugs. 

17 hours ago, drtreelove said:

The man's got a job. He takes it seriously. The whistle represents his sense of identity, power and self esteem. And you want to take that away from him?  It's not about public safety, it's about your inconvenience. Get some ear plugs. 

This would have the two-fold benefit of not having to hear your wife bitch at you as well, though it might make it a little tifficult to hear the tele.

Maybe you could just get some of those wireless tele headphones to wear all day. 

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

How soon after you voluntarily moved in did this start happening or didn't you notice the "non-stop" whistling which was happening every 2-3 minutes when you were viewing the apartment and then signing your contract?  Or isn't it as "non-stop" as you suggest?

"... I am willing to bet money that he is causing more accidents than he is preventing".

So how many accidents has he been responsible for that you have seen in, say, the last 12 months that lead you to this bizarre accusation?  None, I'm sure, because if there had been any you would have mentioned them.

"Last week I witnessed the aftermath of an accident and there was a man injured next to the motorcycle. I did not witness the actual accident so I do not know if the security guard caused it but there is a very good chance".

There is an equally good chance that you are very wrong about blaming him for that accident that you did not witness also!  In fact, without any evidence at all that he was to blame, logically, there is just as much chance that you or I caused it!

"This started out for me as a noise issue but I feel a genuine obligation for the safety of others".

Yeah, right.   If it's really now not just about the noise why are you making a big issue about the noise! 

Funny how when some people move to Thailand everything is rosy and those people readily accept behaviour they never would back home. If someone was constantly blowing a whistle outside where you live back in Farangland, all day long for no practical purpose whatsoever, I'm 100 per cent certain you'd be doing something about it, as this chap feels he needs to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The problem is that these guards delight in blowing their whistles because that is all they are qualified to do. His job is of little real use to anyone, but as labour is so cheap in Thailand he is given a job of 'helping' customers who could park or exit the parking area perfectly well without any assistance. You could see it as a form of social welfare. A few have now joined the 21st century and found alternatives to the whistle but it's a slow process. Waving a lighted baton is the obvious alternative with the added advantage that it can be seen at night. The police use them to wave down drivers so one day the 'security' guards might adopt them too. One day.

Perhaps you need to get help from a Thai.

then buy some Thai favorite sweet stuff and send the Thai with box of sweet to ask a favor from the bank manager if they can stop the whistler.  

Edited by The Theory

10 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Perhaps you need to get help from a Thai.

then buy some Thai favorite sweet stuff and send the Thai with box of sweet to ask a favor from the bank manager if they can stop the whistler.  

Yea, sweet like San Song.

These do the trick for me, on public transportation, with everyone yapping on their phones. They also shut down "Mr Microphone" when he does his broadcasts throughout the surrounding neighborhood.

SONY WH-1000XM2

iu.png

They can still the job without a whistle. When I want to cross a road I put my hand up for the vehicles to stop or slow down and it works. I do give them enough time to do so. At a Diplomatic level, it would be wise to make an appointment to see the Bank Manager and raise the issue that the bank could be responsible for causing accidents like the one you saw the result of. Explain Hand Signals are just as effective as a whistle and offer to give him a demonstration.

• Like 1