Ducati MS 950

JaiLai

29 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Yeah, i've read plenty reviews mate, i'm looking for first hand experiences from owners here.

Thanks.

There are owners clubs and forums but I couldn't open one of them.

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This were a reason for me to have a tendency towards Kawasaki or Suzuki

Because Kawasaki and Suzuki big bike shops are in every Thai village/town? If worried about getting stranded in the wilderness in Thailand don't ride a bike bigger than 300, if it is say a Honda/Kawasaki.  

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Because Kawasaki and Suzuki big bike shops are in every Thai village/town? If worried about getting stranded in the wilderness in Thailand don't ride a bike bigger than 300, if it is say a Honda/Kawasaki.  

Obviously not in every village or town, but i think in nearly every province is at least one Suzuki and Kawasaki dealer and in case the bike breaks down i think it's possible to find somebody with a pickup who will send you there if you pay him. With the not even 10 Ducati dealers in Thailand it may become difficult if you have a problem which requires a specialized shop.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

No personal experience, but a bike like this is made to travel the country, i would be a bit worried with the few Ducati dealers. This were a reason for me to have a tendency towards Kawasaki or Suzuki

I've got a FT and 939 Motard, slowly Ducati are becoming more reliable but yes, amount of service centres could present problems.

Normally before going away ill take a run to one and give the bikes a quick once over at Ducati to get the warm and fuzzy feeling before heading off.

Reasons for being interested in the MS 950 are fuel range and comfort, the motard tends to be a bit aggressive and IMO performs best when driven fast.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I've got a FT and 939 Motard, slowly Ducati are becoming more reliable but yes, amount of service centres could present problems.

Normally before going away ill take a run to one and give the bikes a quick once over at Ducati to get the warm and fuzzy feeling before heading off.

Reasons for being interested in the MS 950 are fuel range and comfort, the motard tends to be a bit aggressive and IMO performs best when driven fast.

I would just say go for it, the MS950 if you want one and listening or reading about people who have one ain't gonna say something is bad,  since they were took over by Lamborghini Audi ,things have changed.

The only thing for me would be price if buying one.

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I would just say go for it, the MS950 if you want one and listening or reading about people who have one ain't gonna say something is bad,  since they were took over by Lamborghini Audi ,things have changed.

The only thing for me would be price if buying one.

Yeah, ideally i'd like to keep the two bikes i have and add a MS950 but as you say it's then getting expensive, the 950 Adventure touring fully loaded in white is close to 800K........

I'm keeping my eyes open for a used one and have kinda been offered an ex-demo towards the end of the year but not with much of a discount.

Here's a forum if you're interested, good reading....

https://www.multistrada950.com/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html?PHPSESSID=2bb42fd61aa0654d2047110b32d0fc31

I don't own one but I am sure that this bike won't disappoint. It has a rock solid engine and good basic electronics. The same that is used in the 939 Hypers. I had a '13 MS1200. It had a LOT of power, which is a lot of fun, but sometimes a little less makes more sense.  Because there is nothing more fun than a Ducati with just the right amount of horses. I think the 950 is that bike. Did many tours on mine in Thailand and it never let me down. I have read and heard that the MS950 is a very good bike that has a lot of character and enough HPs. Most probably will be my next bike.

(only reason I dare to ride Ducatis in Thailand is because I am in BKK and can use the main dealership)

23 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Yeah, ideally i'd like to keep the two bikes i have and add a MS950 but as you say it's then getting expensive, the 950 Adventure touring fully loaded in white is close to 800K........

I'm keeping my eyes open for a used one and have kinda been offered an ex-demo towards the end of the year but not with much of a discount.

https://www.multistrada950.com/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html?PHPSESSID=2bb42fd61aa0654d2047110b32d0fc31

They sell used MSs

https://www.dbigbike.com/บิ๊กไบค์มือสอง/category/23-multistrada

51 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

An adventure bike is just always more comfortable than a sports orientated bike, but there are different groups of adventure bikes and which group is the right one for you depends on how you want to use the bike, what your budget is and of course simply what you like.

The Ducati Multistrada 950 falls in the group of the street orientated bikes at about 1000cc, direct competitors are Kawasaki Versys 1000, Suzuki V-Strom 1000 which will probably feel quite similar when riding them, have a similar price and probably similar features, all street bikes, even though with longer suspension travel than the average street bike, so ok for an occasional gravel road

I personally prefer the group of adventure bikes which are a bit more off road orientated, which include the Honda Africa Twin, BMW 850GS, Triumph Tiger 800 XCA.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Yeah all good for you cyber motorcycle buddy but sadly these days I have to realize my limitations at my age and practicability, don't like it but things catch up with you and it's just not cost of course it's the bike & what you choose to ride.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Here some nice reports from an owner: https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44297

Seems like the only issues he has with it are the clutch (to get into neutral) and the heat. Especially the last part will be relevant for Thailand:

The only complaint I have is that the seat can get rather hot even in the mildest of temperatures and while on the move. Having the rear cylinder and exhaust header right under the seat is probably the cause. On the Swiss/German border where temperatures hit 36C it became almost painful so I resorted to standing up to get some air around the old nether regions.

I'm a bit hesitant to buy a Ducati adventure bike because of the reliability and dealer issues that I had with my Scrambler. That's the main reason why I went for the Africa Twin instead of the Multi 950. The Multi is a very tempting bike. Looks nicer, sounds nicer and weighs something like 35kg less. Another big reason why I went with the Honda is cost for parts. I will go for some slight offroad adventures and a fall is unavoidable sometimes.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:07 PM, jackdd said:

Obviously not in every village or town, but i think in nearly every province is at least one Suzuki and Kawasaki dealer and in case the bike breaks down i think it's possible to find somebody with a pickup who will send you there if you pay him. With the not even 10 Ducati dealers in Thailand it may become difficult if you have a problem which requires a specialized shop.

Er, i believe there are only 3 Yamaha and Suzuki dealers in the whole of Isaan. Which is a helluva large area. If i lived in say Nong Khai or Nakon Phanom, the nearest dealer is in Khon Kaen. A fair distance. I believe there are not more than 10-12 Suzuki dealers in the whole of the country. Hell here in Udon we have a Ducati dealer, but no Yamaha nor Suzuki...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, i believe there are only 3 Yamaha and Suzuki dealers in the whole of Isaan. Which is a helluva large area. If i lived in say Nong Khai or Nakon Phanom, the nearest dealer is in Khon Kaen. A fair distance. I believe there are not more than 10-12 Suzuki dealers in the whole of the country. Hell here in Udon we have a Ducati dealer, but no Yamaha nor Suzuki...

Yea especially big bike Yamaha/Suzuki dealers. Probably a better chance to find a Ducati dealer than a Suzi dealer that can service a proper bike. If you want a widespread dealer network than the best is probably Bigwing, they have about twice as many dealerships in Thailand as the others.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Yea especially big bike Yamaha/Suzuki dealers. Probably a better chance to find a Ducati dealer than a Suzi dealer that can service a proper bike. If you want a widespread dealer network than the best is probably Bigwing, they have about twice as many dealerships in Thailand as the others.

Yeah, sorry, that's what i meant and i presumed we were all on the same page. Big Bike Dealers.

Hell every market town and it's dog has a Yamaha dealer selling M Slaz and R15 bikes for the teenagers.

My local market town has 3..............