Why doesnt vpn work in hotel?

davidst01

I decided to test the same website whilst connecting to my mobile hotspot and the same vpn. It also comes up access denied when trying to look at dailymail uk. I checked the IP address and it says hong kong server. 

I tested entering a link for one of the well known adult content sites and it works ok. 

Thus it would seem its a express vpn issue that cannot connect to dailymail?

Edited by davidst01

14 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

It's not because you are in a hotel, it's because Daily Smell's website knows you're not in the country.

Nothing to do with the Daily mail.  It is the Thai Gov who are blocking it.  I use Cyberghost (uk connection) no problems.  As said above the App works without VPN

12 hours ago, davidst01 said:

I decided to test the same website whilst connecting to my mobile hotspot and the same vpn. It also comes up access denied when trying to look at dailymail uk. I checked the IP address and it says hong kong server. 

I tested entering a link for one of the well known adult content sites and it works ok. 

Thus it would seem its a express vpn issue that cannot connect to dailymail?

If you try a blocked site too many times and fail,  you may end up getting placed on "The List".

OP, the fact that its blocked on 2 networks, sounds like you are still using a Thai DNS. Doesnt matter where you VPN goes to, a local Thai DNS is looking at the address and saying its blocked. Change adaptor settings to use other than auto DNS, VPN will have their own DNS or google etc..

Go to Cmd prompt and type "nslookup localhost", is it your local router/gateway ? Thats where the DNS resolution is happening.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

In addition to reasons already cited as causing failure to connect may be due to the hotel's wi-fi modem ("Im connected to hotel wifi") that cannot handle the additional steaming load imposed by  your VPN. To those that answered that they had no problems didn't indicate what their physical connection was. I suspect none were using a hotel wi-fi modem, albeit not every hotel would have the same streaming limitations. I suggest you try other wi-fi connections such as coffee shops.

Edited by Srikcir
quotes

24 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

In addition to reasons already cited as causing failure to connect may be due to the hotel's wi-fi modem ("Im connected to hotel wifi") that cannot handle the additional steaming load imposed by  your VPN. To those that answered that they had no problems didn't indicate what their physical connection was. I suspect none were using a hotel wi-fi modem, albeit not every hotel would have the same streaming limitations. I suggest you try other wi-fi connections such as coffee shops.

Yes you are correct, hotel (and coffee shops) have all sorts of port blocking and restrictions to stop people running a server or dishing out torrents etc, I think in the OPs case its a poorly configred VPN that is still sending DNS resolution to the defalt DNS given out by the local router/ISP. Just a matter of configuring the VPN to send all traffic via the VPN (to a non thai DNS), replace the default router gateway.

I've had a problem with accessing the DM using Nord. Sometimes I can access it without a VPN, sometimes not. If there is a particular report you want to look at it can sometimes be accessed by looking it up on Google News and then clicking the link there.

But the above semi-geek info is useful too.

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd try to access it now. I Googled and using my Chrome browser tried to access the home page and received the message attached. Then I clicked on the mailonline sub-link and it worked fine. All very mysterious.

DM.jpg

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Just change your VPN region to the UK and you will be able to Download and read it, otherwise it knows you are not in the UK and it will block you 

The same applies to any UK site like SKY etc,etc.

If you experience a problem loading the VPN it is because the WiFi signal you are using is not strong enough to load both so try changing your position in the room like closer to the door or even one of the corners

1 minute ago, goegoe said:

Funny that some people pay for VPN that do not work well, when all free VPNs that I use are never blocked and never have any problem anywhere in the world.

Free VPNs usually have restrictions on them, such as access points or bandwidth, but if they suit you that's great. I don't mind paying $1 a week for something better.

• Haha 1

A wrong statement thrown around even after proofed wrong by other posters.

Dailymail DOES NOT block users from Thailand!

I can open it currently without any tricks from ToT fiber.

It WAS blocked by Thai censorship in the past again and again.

It's not the first time that a site is blocked on one ISP and accessible on others.

Why the VPN would not works is unclear to me.

I assume the OP has tried the usual: delete browser cache and history.

Otherwise the browser might supply you with the "blocked" message over and over.

I'd also advise you to be careful about which type of VPN you are using.  Many routers in Thailand are cheap, underpowered and don't pass all protocols freely.  Typically, L2TP / IPSec won't pass through the poorer Thai routers and you have to use an SSL VPN which uses the same protocol that https:// web pages use.  Whatever VPN you do use, all can be intercepted and the data read by a simple "Man in the middle" attack, so use of extended site certificates is advised.  DNS forward and reverse lookups must also be encrypted as was mentioned by an earlier poster.

In my opinion, even a little half-hearted research will show you that in truth as far as the security services are concerned, VPNs merely obfuscate data and don't actually hide it.  Browers leak data and pass it on to so called marketing organisations, PDF files easily cause your real IP to be revealed and Windows 10 leaks all kinds information.

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That doesn't always work, as mentioned above, and solutions were offered.

Well it ALWAYS works for me Barry and that is why I passed the info on.

The reason I use a VPN is because I have been hacked so many times here and had valuable and sensitive info stolen, I will not now go on the net without it no matter which country I am in.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Please don't listen to all these people here that profess to know what they are talking about.

Hotels in Thailand are increasingly frustrated by customers using VPN and are receiving subsidised shield technology from clandestine government agencies. This highly advanced technology essentially "cloaks" the exterior of the hotel in an invisible (purple) electromegentic field rendering all VPN or commonsense inside the building to become scrambled. Sometimes this also leads to being overcharged by well meaning Thais in the immediate vicinity that unfortunately fall under the control of this top secret scrambling technology.

I managed to find a picture of this device that was developed in conjuction with some guy called Elon and is made with "rocket parts".

No VPN will function while shield is in full cloak.

<deleted> hell the Martians are coming !!

Or maybe we have been watching far too much Startrek? Full Cloak indeed 

I have stayed in hotels all over the world and not one of them displays a sign saying do not use a VPN

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

<deleted> hell the Martians are coming !!

Or maybe we have been watching far too much Startrek? Full Cloak indeed 

I have stayed in hotels all over the world and not one of them displays a sign saying do not use a VPN

One of the places where people consistently find themselves trying to deal with remote access issues is hotels. https://windowsreport.com/vpn-doesnt-work-hotel/

I'd expect many hotels are oversubscribed for bandwidth anyway and they're using a likely outdated, clunky captive portal for proxy and authentication only allowing a minimum of ports and protocols for basic web and email type traffic.

They might be clocking content rich stuff like youtube and Netflix to reserve bandwidth. Or block entertainment sites so people are directed to use the in room PPV.

And in order to maintain those restrictions they block VPN.

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/4ipi0a/hotels_blocking_vpn/

• Like 1