What would you do? Employee pocketing some baht

Dumper

Was in a well known fast food chain restaurant this morning and ordered three drinks. The attendant showed me the price on a calculator (it was the correct price). Paid with a 1000baht note and got the correct change. However only one item was only rung up on the POS machine. I clearly saw the item and total price. The receipt came out of the register and wasn't given to me. 

About 40 mins later, I ordered another two drinks this time. I knew what the correct price and handed the attendant 200baht. I acted nonchalant and just waited for my change, keeping an eagle eye on the POS machine. This time only 1 drink rung up. I did get the correct change. 

In the space of an hour the attendant made around 250baht. I didn't say anything, as its not my job to be the police for the employer.  Also as this would be a case of Thai (employer) on Thai (employee), why would I want to put my head on the line and get involved.

Interested to know whether others have had a similar experience.

Edited by Crossy
Fixed a typo - "didn't" to "did" in the 2nd paragraph.

If only the first instance, stay out of it.

However, the second incident when he tried to steal from you by short-changing you made it personal. You have to grass 'im up and demand your correct change and a pound of flesh.

Take him down (by anonymous letter). ?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

If only the first instance, stay out of it.

However, the second incident when he tried to steal from you by short-changing you made it personal. You have to grass 'im up and demand your correct change and a pound of flesh.

Take him down (by anonymous letter). ?

Sorry, you haven't read it correctly Briggsy. Both times I paid the correct price, got the correct change (and a smile). Both time he rung up the incorrect amount on the cash register. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@Dumper you're outside the edit window now, do you want me to edit the first post to say you DID get the correct change?

Apologies. Thanks.

Indeed I paid the correct price both times, got the correct price both time. However both times the amount on the POS machine was short. The only person getting ripped off was the employer.

Just now, Crossy said:

Done. I'll leave these posts visible so the Google cache doesn't get confused.

So the customer isn't ripped off just the business owner. Not good for the owner, but I'd keep schtum unless you know the owner well.

Whether my reasoning was is right or wrong. I feel for the employees of these multinational corporations that pay their employees a pittance. I had no intention of getting involved other than to post here about it.  

• Like 1

If 'Managers' in this country actually 'Managed' and were where they were supposed to be then these sorts of things wouldn't be so often seen.  I've seen many instances of staff pilfering in the last few years, cash and goods, but as long as Management doesn't take their job seriously it will always happen.

• Like 2

Stealing by staff  is very common.

some are smarter than others , usually they would just take the whole day takings and do the runner.

police hardly ever bother to chase up until stolen amounts add up to large sums.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Done. I'll leave these posts visible so the Google cache doesn't get confused.

So the customer isn't ripped off just the business owner. Not good for the owner, but I'd keep schtum unless you know the owner well.

Yes,  the absent owner is the victim for sure.

I often wonder how fast food or any minimum paying job can be filled with good and honest employees.

More power to them  (those good and honest employees)  I say.

Edited by watcharacters

Just now, naboo said:

I'd encourage the employees to do this to the likes of McD's, BK and KFC. Huge multinationals making money off the back of hard working employees on 310B/day.

Especially on the soda stream drinks that cost virtually nothing to pour, are sold on huge mark ups and aren't, in my previous experience working for a large PepsiCo outlet in the UK, monitored for stock 'losses'.

It's one other ones you mentioned. I share your sentiment. I knew exactly what the employee was doing, and to be honest, more credit to him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

If 'Managers' in this country actually 'Managed' and were where they were supposed to be then these sorts of things wouldn't be so often seen.  I've seen many instances of staff pilfering in the last few years, cash and goods, but as long as Management doesn't take their job seriously it will always happen.

Well said, in fact one of the reasons Carrefour sold and left Thailand was because they couldn't find enough capable professional focused local managers.

• Like 1

HEY, i thought the TV Forum policy was 'no promotion of illegal activity'  and stealing from the employer surely is theft.  And i'm calling out you NABOO and recommend the mods suspend your account and publicize your error.

Recall the Buddha:  "don't take what isn't given".

• Sad 1

"Was in a well known fast food chain restaurant this morning and ordered three drinks. The attendant showed me the price on a calculator ..."

What well-known fast food chain shows you the price on a calculator? 

Something fishy here....

9 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

"Was in a well known fast food chain restaurant this morning and ordered three drinks. The attendant showed me the price on a calculator ..."

What well-known fast food chain shows you the price on a calculator? 

Something fishy here....

Exactly, he took me as a chump. Showed me the price on the calculator. He could have of course told me the price, however I suspect that he needed to add the price up and couldn't do it without using a calculator. He then rung up on the POS machine 1 x the cost of the drink. I paid him with a 1000baht note and got the exact change. 

1 hour ago, chingmai331 said:

HEY, i thought the TV Forum policy was 'no promotion of illegal activity'  and stealing from the employer surely is theft.  And i'm calling out you NABOO and recommend the mods suspend your account and publicize your error.

Recall the Buddha:  "don't take what isn't given".

There is always going to be one NARC. I am not condoning illegal activity, simply highlighting it. 

• Like 1