Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

6 hours ago, transam said:

My point was that guys who get a payment before 2010 for a foreign wife will lose it 2020...

This is scary. I only get approx 60 pounds per week and my wife 30 pounds. If she loses that I'm in shit creek! What will she live on  if I pop off?

12 hours ago, Gandtee said:

This is scary. I only get approx 60 pounds per week and my wife 30 pounds. If she loses that I'm in shit creek! What will she live on  if I pop off?

I thought foreign widows now didn't get a monthly UK pension payment..?

Depends what allowance your talking about.  

From April 2016 your wife (foreign or not) cannot claim a pension based on your contributions.

They cleverly changed the status of a Pension from being an 'entitlement' to a 'benefit'.

As far as I'm aware your foreign wife can still claim a one off 'death benefit' until next year.

The amount of benefit was significantly reduced last year, surprise, surprise.

Having been to a friends funeral this week, I believe it stopped on 5 April 2017. U Gov site can confirm this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/17/2018 at 6:03 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah well up to you if you like being single, I never liked my time being single, I'm a family man and married to my Thai wife 15 years,  I've still got my man cave and independents and my hobbies.

My kids from my other 3 marriages come and visit me here in Thailand and luv it. 

Why get married? You don't need to get married to be in a relationship. My GF has known from day 1 that I have no intentions of marriage or kids. I'm now 30 years old and we've been together for 3 years. She works and we are happy, she also knows my outlook on life; no kids and no ring 

1 minute ago, transam said:

At your age l can understand your attitude to stuff, but l reckon that will change with age. Look at me, l was always a rascal when younger but now in my late years l am very happy to have Mrs.Trans and the way l "now" think...?

Believe it or not, there are people out there who have such opinions throughout their lives. Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington spring to mind. Both have been with their partners for over 20 years, no marriage or kids. That is just the way I feel and I am not going to change on that. Life is difficult and tough as it is, that just adds in extra suffering, worry and annoyance imho 

1 minute ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Believe it or not, there are people out there who have such opinions throughout their lives. Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington spring to mind. Both have been with their partners for over 20 years, no marriage or kids. That is just the way I feel and I am not going to change on that. Life is difficult and tough as it is, that just adds in extra suffering, worry and annoyance imho 

But that is just the way you look at your life, if we all thought the same humanity would cease to exist..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Some people get less selfish and acquire a little wisdom as they mature with age. On the other hand.......

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Having been to a friends funeral this week, I believe it stopped on 5 April 2017. U Gov site can confirm this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They stopped the then current 'Bereavement Payment' scheme in April 2017 and introduced the new 'Bereavement Support Payment' scheme which is still effective. However it's limited to payment only in certain Countries and Thailand isn't one of them.

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/where-you-can-claim-benefits

I also had a UK buddy, married to a Thai, pass away last October.

His wife was living in the UK on the 5 year route to settlement at the time.

She was able to claim and automatically obtained permanent residency status.

She still gets the monthly allowance until next year. (£100)

14 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Some people get less selfish and acquire a little wisdom as they mature with age. On the other hand.......

There are many ways to be unselfish without marrying someone and having kids. In fact, I propose many people who have kids, simply live through their kids, and project their own egos in this way 

23 minutes ago, transam said:

But that is just the way you look at your life, if we all thought the same humanity would cease to exist..

Yes of course, I have said that all along, this is my opinion and my outlook on life. It would be impossible for everyone to do this, not just because humanity will end, but because we are all different people with different opinions and needs.

36 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

There's a difference between a relationship and the next step of making a commitment.

A buddy of mine has been in a relationship with a Thai woman for 16 years.

He retired 18 months ago and moved to Thailand. However 6 months ago she finished the relationship because he held the same views as you. She felt after 16 years of waiting he'd finally make a long term commitment. He's gutted!

I was married twice, engaged once and lost all 3. Cancer, brain tumour, car crash.

I swore I'd never marry again, but 12 years later I met a wonderful Thai woman.

Fearful of going down the bereavement experience again, I realised we only live once and I didn't want to lose this one because of my insecurities.

We've been together 6 years, married two years and there's not a day I regret my decision.

In all honesty, if my partner left me because I didn't want to marry, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. That is their loss.. They know what they signed up for, I made it clear very early on and we are happy this way. If down the road we break up, so be it. I am enjoying the moment right now, and there is no need for me to ever get married or have bambinos. Like I've said already today, we aborted one 2 months back, that is the first time it has happened to me, so I may go back to using condoms or just get the snip 

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

So your just continuing with the free ride and have no feelings for the girl, which I would hardly call a 'relationship'.

Your coming across as a selfish, self opinionated, egotistical person, and you probably don't care about anyone other than yourself.

So because I have found someone who agrees with my 'non marriage' way of life makes me selfish? Who said anything about a free ride? Because we are not hitched with a ring and in the eyes of government and or religion, it is a free ride?? And wait, if she one day changes her mind and leaves me for that reason, I need to feel bad? I can't be confident in my opinion and outlook on life and move on without attachment? Sorry buddy, but you seem to have issues there. 

I respect other people's opinions, that is if it doesn't hurt anybody else in the process. My opinion is not the cookie cutter version of life you adhere to, but I am hurting nobody in my actions. Yet you twist that somehow to being a bad thing? 

Being unselfish can be as subtle as holding a door open for a stranger, giving up a seat on the bus, or something like taking huge amounts of your time to help someone for free. Being married or having children doesn't make you an unselfish person. 

Edited by Easy Come Easy Go
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

They stopped the then current 'Bereavement Payment' scheme in April 2017 and introduced the new 'Bereavement Support Payment' scheme which is still effective. However it's limited to payment only in certain Countries and Thailand isn't one of them.

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/where-you-can-claim-benefits

I also had a UK buddy, married to a Thai, pass away last October.

His wife was living in the UK on the 5 year route to settlement at the time.

She was able to claim and automatically obtained permanent residency status.

She still gets the monthly allowance until next year. (£100)

I have a UK buddy, who had a buddy (a friend of a friend).

He was married to a Thai lady for 5 years, then lived with her (married) in the UK for 5 years.

She received her UK passport.

The day after, she left.

22 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yeah, everyone has a friend of a friend...

In any event If people don’t want to marry and have kids good for them. Let ‘em all get snipped and stay with one “partner” or bang everything that moves. It makes me no never-mind.

Not for for me though, once you have a kid, everything else is just stuff. Is there anything in the world better than a child? I think not.

Yes there is, not having any.

Not having a "partner" is pretty good also, zero hassle or expense. 

Banging anything that moves, tried that, no "value" in it.

23 hours ago, mogandave said:

In any event If people don’t want to marry and have kids good for them. Let ‘em all get snipped and stay with one “partner” or bang everything that moves. It makes me no never-mind.
Not for for me though, once you have a kid, everything else is just stuff. Is there anything in the world better than a child? I think not.

I like to bang everything that moves in the hopes of having plenty more kids.

Why get snipped or stay with one partner?

23 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I have a UK buddy, who had a buddy (a friend of a friend).

He was married to a Thai lady for 5 years, then lived with her (married) in the UK for 5 years.

She received her UK passport.

The day after, she left.

That same story has been passed from bar stool to bar stool for many years!

6 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

That same story has been passed from bar stool to bar stool for many years!

No, this was real. So your saying that there can't ever have been a case like that. Also my friend is teetotal, so it wasn't told from a bar stool.

I also have a friend who has been married to a Thai lady for 30 years & still going strong, living in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

No, this was real. So your saying that there can't ever have been a case like that. Also my friend is teetotal, so it wasn't told from a bar stool.

I also have a friend who has been married to a Thai lady for 30 years & still going strong, living in the UK.

Positive - the guy whose wife went AWOL has the opportunity to pop back to Thailand for a younger model

Negative - the guy married for 30 years might appreciate the same opportunity

Who is to know from the outside of a relationship, be it with a woman, or country, exactly how the person concerned is getting along ?

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

Back to the original topic of this thread, here are some predictions for GBP (Gordon Brown Peso) -V- THB (Thai Baht):

March 2020 36.7867

January 2023 30.2518 29.8704 29.7739 30.2518 -1.28 %▼
February 2023 29.8926

That'll do me thanks ?

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Positive - the guy whose wife went AWOL has the opportunity to pop back to Thailand for a younger model

Negative - the guy married for 30 years might appreciate the same opportunity

Who is to know from the outside of a relationship, be it with a woman, or country, exactly how the person concerned is getting along ?

The guy who's been married for 30 years seems very happy with his life. He also believes that part of the success of his marriage is that his wife is only around 10 years younger than him, I don't think he's gonna be looking for a younger model.

Another thing being, as someone in his 70's, he doesn't want to be doing the 12'ish hour flight LON-BKK any more, something I notice in many of my septuagenarian friends. Doesn't want to live in LOS full time either.