Is it safe to buy a condo in Bangkok when the city will soon be flooded?

RandolphGB

6 minutes ago, tagalong said:

Only a fool would consider buying a condo in  Thailand...I av always rented n whenever had to move...absolutely no hassles...

If you have the money it makes sense. When I moved here 14 years ago I was only earning 35,000 a month so could only afford to rent studio rooms.  I used my savings to buy a nice condo, thereby saving on rent.  I sold it last year as I'm now married, and although I didn't make anything, the savings in rent over the years were welcome.  Everyone's circumstances are different.

22 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Funny..

Do you seriously believe the Thailand government will simply say "we will do nothing to address the serious issue of Bangkok  sinking"?

And do you think the mega  billion bhat,  Euros, Yen,  and Pound  corporations still invest in Bangkok believing the investment will soon be under  water?

I think there's a corrective plan in place  as yet undisclosed.

Thai bashers/haters  are welcome to dispute what I post.

Not a matter of Thai-bashing, it's simple physics. Most of Bangkok is only 1 metre above sea level. The Larsen Ice Shelf and Greenland Ice Cap are melting at record levels as we speak. The Northwest Passage is navigable by ships for the first time in human memory.

Most politicians world-wide are in denial of climate change. I don't think the Thais are an exception to that. Unless that's why they are buying submarines.

Check back with me in another 20 years, if we are both still around. They'll probably be landing seaplanes at Suvarnabhumi.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2018 at 9:32 PM, Chou Anou said:

"Venice of the East" referred to Ayutthya. Common misconception, look it up. ?

You are correct and so was I.

Both places have been referred to as "Venice of the East." as well as many other places in Asia. The O.P. was discussing buying a condo in Bangkok.

http://www.homeconnectthailand.com/did-you-know/why-is-bangkok-often-called-the-venice-of-the-east/

Look it up.:biggrin:

On 9/7/2018 at 2:36 PM, RandolphGB said:

If the city is sinking each year and there seems to be very little done to stop this - more big blocks being built, more concerning over areas and businesses pumping ground water - then the condo could be virtually worthless in five to ten years. 

Well that's very simple....buy a condo in an elevated area...if the other ones get flooded and yours not the value will increase....

Also during the big flood there were still area's which kept it dry.....which area's they are you'll have to find out.

8 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Both places have been referred to as "Venice of the East." as well as many other places in Asia.

I lived in Ilford for a time, which was sometimes referred to as the "Venice of the North Circular". 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Not a matter of Thai-bashing, it's simple physics. Most of Bangkok is only 1 metre above sea level. The Larsen Ice Shelf and Greenland Ice Cap are melting at record levels as we speak. The Northwest Passage is navigable by ships for the first time in human memory.

Most politicians world-wide are in denial of climate change. I don't think the Thais are an exception to that. Unless that's why they are buying submarines.

Check back with me in another 20 years, if we are both still around. They'll probably be landing seaplanes at Suvarnabhumi.

25% of The Netherlands is below sea level and most of the remaining country is barely 1 meter above sea level. I would guess that if flooding becomes a major problem, they might hire some Dutch engineers to build some proper dikes. In The Netherlands some proper waterworks have been build after the flood of 1953. I guess whatever will happen, it will depend on economics: will it be cheaper to build and maintain proper waterworks or move the city?

On 9/8/2018 at 4:57 PM, watcharacters said:

Funny..

Do you seriously believe the Thailand government will simply say "we will do nothing to address the serious issue of Bangkok  sinking"?

And do you think the mega  billion bhat,  Euros, Yen,  and Pound  corporations still invest in Bangkok believing the investment will soon be under  water?

I think there's a corrective plan in place  as yet undisclosed.

Thai bashers/haters  are welcome to dispute what I post.

Well, thats partly true. But after the 2010/2011 flooding, even the japaense government spent hundreds of millions of baht of their own money to rebuild roads in Thailand because the government was useless at getting things done, and this has effected Japanese greatly.

Proper corrective action will cost a fortune. Who is going to pay? It will require 2 more significant floods before the Thai government takes it seriously. And then, only 'valuable' areas will be protected. You are also talking about a 10-20 year timescale for the infrastructure works required. Inevitably, some areas will be lost to defences or drainage works. Short term, buying a condo is still possibly worthwhile if the location is right, the sea isn't going to roll in overnight. The crunch period will be 2030-2050. By then Bangkok will only be kept dry by flood defences, if not finished, flooding will happen every year - maybe whenever you get a high tide.