What is the first thing you eat when you go home?

On 9/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, scorecard said:

No sir; for yanks should be big macs, mac apple pies, KFC, wendy burgers, washed down by 2l of coke or sprite with free refill (must be in a giant paper cup). 

But I haven't been home to my country of origin for 24 years (not USA) so I can't answer the question. 

Boy, you sure have no idea.That's the crap we send overseas for you after our poor folk and/or kitchen-challenged try it out.

Just about any mom 'n pop restaurant or even bar and grille does a better burger, fried chicken and apple pie than the fast foods. Of course, it should be washed down with bottomless sweet iced-tea. 

• Like 2

If we’re in SoCal, a quick stop at In-N-Out a block from LAX is great, but for pizza, I’d go for California Pizza Kitchen’s “California Club”.

Juancho’s in Ontario for Mexican starting with a jumbo made-at-table guacamole...

And this time of year, how about a nice cookout at the beach or park?

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:
On 9/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, scorecard said:

No sir; for yanks should be big macs, mac apple pies, KFC, wendy burgers, washed down by 2l of coke or sprite with free refill (must be in a giant paper cup). 

But I haven't been home to my country of origin for 24 years (not USA) so I can't answer the question. 

Boy, you sure have no idea.That's the crap we send overseas for you after our poor folk and/or kitchen-challenged try it out.

That is just the Brit Aussie stereotype of yank eating habits, it does help with their self esteem though.

My sisters married to one and …. Frankly I was shocked when I was over there the first time, dining with the in laws or at restaurants. Being an American raised in the NW, you were polite and said nothing as you tried to choke it down. That said Blighty cuisine has made significant gains over the last decades.

Think about it, since this is a Thai forum who popularized Thai cuisine and Pat Thai to the world back in the late 80’s Wasn’t the Germans, Ozites or Nigels. :thumbsup:   If yuppies were dining exclusively at Macca D’s how would this be possible?  Right.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/9/2018 at 1:00 PM, poohy said:

real ale, eg Bathams  then..... usually meals in this order not all on same day i hasten to add

an Indian/Bangladeshi curry

fish n chips

Pie chips and curry sauce

a Chinese special curry 

take 96 year old Dad to local carvery

all whilst raiding the supermarket for cheese of all descriptions

You can either make or buy ready made Indian curry in Thailand, although to make it you have to have an old Indian friend back home who's wife is willing to write down a recipe for you..

Fish and chips can do, just buy the paper when your home and bring it back to make it more authentic..

Pie chips and Curry sauce also can make.

For the rest, you'll have to have as much as you can while you are at home.. There is not any good chinese food I have found here yet..

On 9/9/2018 at 5:07 PM, marcusarelus said:

First I have to grow a whole wheat sourdough starter and then buy and install a  pizza oven and plant some fresh basil and wait for it to mature find Italian Parmesan cheese and fresh Italian mozzarella find some Farina OO and buy a collar steak and make my own sausage and make the dough and let it ferment 18 hours.  Aw heck I'll just go to my kitchen here and open my oven door.  Is there really a person in the world who can't make mince, mashed tatties and carrots?

Pizza1.jpg

That looks enough for 2, send me through your address. ?

First thing on my menu be a couple of nice tender BBQ sirloin steak, next will be a couple big slabs of Atlantic Salmon or grilled barramundi, and finally a Supreme Pizza from my favorite pizza shop, a real top quality pizza with copious amounts of topping, unlike the garbage here in Pattaya. 

6 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, but I understand. They've taken what they liked form Indian food and made it their own--same-same the US did with pizza or Mexican food.

My English aunt lives in the USA, she told me..."We just had a Thai restaurant open up in town, we are going to check it out"....I said.."If the waitress says do you want cheese with that, walk out"..

?

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

One of the things I always cook for my sister when I’m home is biscuits and gravy. I like to use a spicy Italian sausage for the gravy and Bisquick for drop-biscuits.

Couple butter-basted egg over on top and we’re good to go...

One of my all-time favorites too. However, the wife does biscuits and sausage gravy here for me. She makes it from scratch. I usually have a group of Americans over for breakfast to watch our football games. B&G is their favorite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1