Noise in the early morning hours in my condo

soistalker

16 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Buy a set of Bose brand in ear noise canceling headphones, best you can buy, not cheap, you won't hear a thing with them turned on. 

They are only good at cancelling some types of noise, like a jet engine.  They don't cancel voices or bangs.  They do not cancel any higher frequency sounds.  This would be a poor use for something like that.

Also, you do not have to buy Bose.  You can pay less than 1/3 the price for other brands that do just as good a job. Anything with the name Bose is way over priced.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fakename said:

The least you should do, is start a war. There are a lot of good ideas here, anyone of which, might get you killed, or you will be the one that gets kicked out of the condo. Just go to the management,  and see if they will do something!

Spoiler alert.  There is a 99% chance they will do absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Thai Wassadu sells welders goggles, safety shoes and ear defenders. Mind you, there's no way that I could sleep comfortably wearing those.

Theres a hearing aid store on kelang that makes custom molded ear plugs..I get all my hearing aid supplies there

4 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

Theres a hearing aid store on kelang that makes custom molded ear plugs..I get all my hearing aid supplies there

I had a pair of custom made ear plugs in the UK. I didn't pay for them but would have been 6K baht. Very good for noise abatement, but I wouldn't fancy sleeping in them. I use them for swimming now.

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

This is a Thailand forum, please stick to things that exist here.

Welders use sunglasses, construction people wear flipflops, and big truck drivers take yaabaa. No way there is a store selling safety supplies in Thailand.?

But earplugs are available in pharmacies.

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Welders use sunglasses, construction people wear flipflops, and big truck drivers take yaabaa. No way there is a store selling safety supplies in Thailand.?

Yes there is. I got some basic safety gear from one in Fortune Tower a few years ago.

so sorry to hear that, but now that you've initiated contact, you're screwed.  in my experience, thais don't take well to criticism, especially not coming from foreigners.  they'll go out of their way to be even more of an annoyance.

now matter how graceful and polite you attempt to bring up the subject, the end result is usually twice as much of the same, with a snarky smile anytime they do the offending action in your presence.

along with earplugs, consider a white noise machine.

Edited by ChouDoufu

Everyone should have the right owning or renting to the quiet enjoyment of their space regardless of it being Thailand but in Thailand, it's more of the human factor than what is written?

First, are you renting? then go to the unit above him and obtain the number. Go to the office as he noted and ask them for the condo rules if they are translated you will most likely find a cause in them. If you are renting you also notify the owner as to your situation to address the situation with the office. As the office is the unit above him vacant  when all fail move into the unit above him as noted by another poster if not, if he is human needs to sleep at some point process of illumination is when the unit above is quiet take your T.V. and blast it up and go out for a few hours.

if I get bored with a too quiet house... I up'n make up a paragraph's worth of Gecko click noises....

at first at least, it drove Mrs crazy trying to find it - because she's always hated them

( the geckos far down South here are the silent type)

46 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Moves furniture around every night for three hours? I doubt it, it just sounds that way without insulation. 

zero accoustics in most these condos, what sounds like moving furniture can be him getting on and off a dining chair.  Sometimes when theres a reno going on I can hear the hammerdrill removing old tiles a floor down.  With his nighttime antics he may be suffering some kind of illness all alone. A bottle of alcohol and a knock on the door you can start again and create a friendship  maybe hangout at night he could be watching euro sport, you  catch more bees with hunny coombaya! or learn mauy thai and smash his face up 2 u....

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Thai Wassadu sells welders goggles, safety shoes and ear defenders. Mind you, there's no way that I could sleep comfortably wearing those.

That's not very respectful of Thai customs wearing safety shoes to bed and around the house...?

• Haha 1

Your neighbor above may just be getting a leg over with the gf/wife. Maybe ask if he needs a hand with his nightly activities.

Yep, the “moving furniture “ maybe the headboard banging against the wall !

In which case the neighbours 3 hourly activities should be applauded !!

Maybe take him a bottle of wine , laced with bromide !! [emoji51]

There is a rather large gentleman who owns the condo above mine. He makes a lot of noise in the middle of the night for several hours. He walks very heavily on the floor and drags furniture around. This is pretty much from 1a.m. to about 4a.m. every night.

I asked him to please walk quieter at night because I can't sleep. He was kind of a jerk about it, and said NO, that it was his condo and he will walk as he wants. He said if I have a problem with it to take it up with the office. 

What should I do?

move!

10 hours ago, lapd said:

This may sound like a stupid idea but go to an industrial safety supply store and get ear protection.  The industrial strength stuff like the ear protection that fully covers your ears.  A little hard to sleep wearing them unless you generally sleep on your back but doable.

I have tried using the in ear plugs but I find they tend to cause the inside of my ears to get irritated through repeated daily use.  I also find them a little uncomfortable and have never been able to get used to them.

Not being able to choose your neighbors is one of the reasons I don't like the idea of buying a condo.  Just another reason you are better off renting imo.

not the way to be living your life in retirement 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

There is a safety shop in the little centre of Ko Pho in Ko Chan Subdistrict of Chonburi.  I know!  I didn't believe it either!  I have been in there twice and pinched myself each time.  Orange vests. Safety helmets, face masks, safety signs, safety goggles, gloves, foot wear, First aid kits, traffic cones, etc.   It s not exhaustively stocked like a western one but safety is the theme and they seem to try.  It is on the left, as you enter the main part of the shopping centre strip,  coming from the west, just before where the main road divides and spawns a back road that runs up behind the shops on your right (the south) side of the strip.  This back road re-joins with the main road at the top of the hill where the shops peter out to zero.   If anyone really disbelieves me I can take a photo next time I am over that way and post it or PM it to the Doubting Thomas.  Not a bad little shopping centre actually.  Has most things   AND a Safety shop!!!  ?Jing jing!  (First time I ever used an Emoji)