Annual road tax and insurance date for car not match

nuckyt77

The tax for my 80 year friends car is due 18th of September 2018. As he, because of a recent operation, is in hospital he asked me to do it for him. 

His insurance policy dates that the car is insured until 19th of October 2018 so I thought ok...I have the blue book...have the policy stating that the car is insured until October 19th and in the morning had it checked. So when ready to pay the annual tax the guy behind the counter told me I had to get a new insurance first. I resfused as the car IS insured.

That would not be a problem if the car would stay on my friends name but we are waiting for the needed immigration "proof of residence"-papers on both our names and transfer the car from him on to me. These papers will be ready end of September so before the date the insurance stops (19th of October).

I asked the guy what would happen if I bought the insurance now and then transfer the car on to my name. He told me that then I had to have the car checked again AND pay again for insurance. AND that there would not be a refund for the insurance he wanted me to buy today.  This in my opinion is cheating. In Europe when I sell my car and there is still Insurance time left I get a refund for the remaining days. That in my opinion is how it should be here too.

This is not about the money but I feel this is cheating if what he told me is true. This insurance offered by the government does not cover much anyway.

So for now I put the car in the garage where it will stay until I can transfer it on to my name. I will not use it at all until the Immigration papers are there. Then I will transfer the car to my name and pay this so called insurance. ONCE.

I repeat ...this is not about the money.....but if there is one thing that really pi..es me off it is cheating.

My question: was the guy behind the counter right when he told me to get an new insurance AND that there would be no refund if the car would be transfered on my name within 10 days ?.

Oh one more thing how long is the report that the car was technical ok valid ?.

When the car was taxed last year they tear off the bottom of the gov compulsory document so you can tax it. Then your chum had to renew the insurance when it expired last October with the tear off strip still attached to use on the 18th September...

That 

4 minutes ago, transam said:

When the car was taxed last year they tear off the bottom of the gov compulsory document so you can tax it. Then your chum had to renew the insurance when it expired last October with the tear off strip still attached to use on the 18th September...

Yes that is exactly what I thought...so If I understand it correctly the guy behind the counter was wrong...yes ? 

2 minutes ago, nuckyt77 said:

That 

Yes that is exactly what I thought...so If I understand it correctly the guy behind the counter was wrong...yes ? 

I Gov insured mine last month, they tear off the bit for doing the tax and stapled in the blue book, l tax mine the end of this month. See if the bit of paper is stapled in the blue book..If not ask your chum where it is...

I do mine at an agents, none of that queuing up lark, think the charge was 50bht..

1 minute ago, transam said:

I Gov insured mine last month, they tear off the bit for doing the tax and stapled in the blue book, l tax mine the end of this month. See if the bit of paper is stapled in the blue book..If not ask your chum where it is...

I do mine at an agents, none of that queuing up lark, think the charge was 50bht..

It is in the blue book yes.....so now only pay tax......insurance before 19th of october .

Thanks for your advice about using an agent

I have a 1 year old bike which I bought brand new .

the tax and insurance do not expire on the same date. 

However i renew both at the same time, just one current and one for future expiry date.

sounds crazy but appears dealers pay insurance before paying tax and this why you end up with different expiry dates 

My truck is similar to the above post, bought it in the September, insured from date of purchase, ran on red plates until the registration came through the following February! Since then (12 years ago) I insure it every September including Govt Compulsary Insurance, in February I take the Compulsary insurance certificate with MOT and blue book and pay road tax. Only once in that time was there an issue when I went to a testing station and they tried to sell me the government insurance which I already had! I declined their offer, I think the OP is being scammed as he has valid insurance. 

Edited by JohnC
Spelling

The compulsary insurance in Thailand is not bound to a name but to a vehicle. You don't have to buy a new insurance when you transfer the vehicle to another person's name. You also don't have to get the car checked again.

I assume that when you pay the tax the compulsary insurance needs to have a certain amount of time left so you couldn't pay with just a month left.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BestB said:

I have a 1 year old bike which I bought brand new .

the tax and insurance do not expire on the same date. 

However i renew both at the same time, just one current and one for future expiry date.

sounds crazy but appears dealers pay insurance before paying tax and this why you end up with different expiry dates 

Insurance has to be paid the moment it goes on the road. I had red plates for a month, so my road tax started the day I got white ones. Hence the different dates.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your comments......I called the insurance company of my friend yesterday and they offered to take the car to Hang Dong transport office in Chiang Mai monday themselves. No charge. I went at the other transport office near the Ping river which is ....according to the insurance guy.....known for trying to scamm.

They confirmed my opinion...the car is insured at the moment of paying the tax and it will be after that as the insurance of my friend automatically renews .To be sure I will pay that insurance coming monday so there will be proof that the car is insured now and (because I then paid the next year too) for the next year. The insurance company will add me on the new polis as second driver so when the car finally comes on my name the policy will not have to be changed.

Result :I will not have to pay the f..king government insurance.  

When I see what that insurance covers I just think it is a joke to call that an insurance. The longer I am coming here (now 15 years ) the more I see that this country with its silly rules is going down the drain. 

5 minutes ago, nuckyt77 said:

Thank you all for your comments......I called the insurance company of my friend yesterday and they offered to take the car to Hang Dong transport office in Chiang Mai monday themselves. No charge. I went at the other transport office near the Ping river which is ....according to the insurance guy.....known for trying to scamm.

They confirmed my opinion...the car is insured at the moment of paying the tax and it will be after that as the insurance of my friend automatically renews .To be sure I will pay that insurance coming monday so there will be proof that the car is insured now and (because I then paid the next year too) for the next year. The insurance company will add me on the new polis as second driver so when the car finally comes on my name the policy will not have to be changed.

When I see what that insurance covers I just think it is a joke to call that an insurance. The longer I am coming here (now 15 years ) the more I see that this country with its silly rules is going down the drain. 

Your are mixing up compulsary insurance and voluntary insurance

You always pay the government compulsary insurance, without it you cant tax the vehicle (can of course be "included" in the voluntary insurance so that you don't get an extra bill for it)

6 minutes ago, nuckyt77 said:

You friend still needs Gov Insurance otherwise he will not get his road disc which may make the voluntary insurance void in case of an accident. 

• Like 1

Is there some point in belittling the Government Ins ?.. It wasn't introduced all those years ago for Ferang Peasants benefit, but for poor Thais !. Who seem to have nice Trucks these days and dont have need for named drivers on their 1st Class insurance just to save a pittance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Is there some point in belittling the Government Ins ?.. It wasn't introduced all those years ago for Ferang Peasants benefit, but for poor Thais !. Who seem to have nice Trucks these days and dont have need for named drivers on their 1st Class insurance just to save a pittance.

Pittance A.

The pittance I saved by just having myself as a named driver on my first class insurance was just short of 6th bht. If you cant work it out that means the tax worked out almost for nothing.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nuckyt77 said:

The tax office are not interested in private insurance...They will not tax it with private insurance, only the Gov insurance. . As your chum bought the Gov insurance AFTER he taxed it last time he will have the tear off strip from the Gov paper to tax it NOW...

• Like 1

The Insurance company Axa will take care of it.....They told me I will have to pay them 810 Baht for tax and of course their new policy. My friend already gave me that money and he says it is about the same as what he paid last year (but in October 2017 and NOT in september ).  That policy will cost 6000 baht but THAT is for an insurance that actually covers something. Not some Bull....t- government thing . The amount is the same as last year AND they will add me to the new policy for free. So I am happy in the end it will be taken care off. 

If the government tax is included in the 6000 baht...ok with me. But at least by doing it this way it wil in NO way been paid twice. And that was what yesterday pissed me off. 

One thing I after 15 years in Thailand already knew but what was confirmed yesterday again. If one deals with companies in Thailand...stick to the ones that have branches in the real world. Companies with only branches in LaLa-land better avoid.

Already a big thank you to Axa.

14 minutes ago, nuckyt77 said:

The Insurance company Axa will take care of it.....They told me I will have to pay them 810 Baht for tax and of course their new policy. My friend already gave me that money and he says it is about the same as what he paid last year (but in October 2017 and NOT in september ).  That policy will cost 6000 baht but THAT is for an insurance that actually covers something. Not some Bull....t- government thing . The amount is the same as last year AND they will add me to the new policy for free. So I am happy in the end it will be taken care off. 

If the government tax is included in the 6000 baht...ok with me. But at least by doing it this way it wil in NO way been paid twice. And that was what yesterday pissed me off. 

One thing I after 15 years in Thailand already knew but what was confirmed yesterday again. If one deals with companies in Thailand...stick to the ones that have branches in the real world. Companies with only branches in LaLa-land better avoid.

Already a big thank you to Axa.

Your last para is rolox...?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

No just , Dinner at Hotel, and a Few Beers visiting someone in Hospital , nice Nurses too.Sadly with Full Cover.?:burp: 

You should really have gone inside for that stuff....Hanging around the car wash is a bit, eeeer, off....?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Pittance A.

The pittance I saved by just having myself as a named driver on my first class insurance was just short of 6th bht. If you cant work it out that means the tax worked out almost for nothing.

Well worthwhile if your the only driver anyway.

1 minute ago, transam said:

You should really have gone inside for that stuff....Hanging around the car wash is a bit, eeeer, off....?

Fortunately weve gone off Topic, so worth reading at last. Why do Olds English Folks refer to England as Blighty. It sounds like a Tree disease. Anyone Know.?.

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Fortunately weve gone off Topic, so worth reading at last. Why do Olds English Folks refer to England as Blighty. It sounds like a Tree disease. Anyone Know.?.

Refer to your home country UK Tourist guide brochure....?