Transfer of $100,000 from Australia to Thai Bank Account

Swift transfers are very easy nowadays, you can do it on your banking app on your phone, literally comes overnight, usually a flat fee (around $20) no matter what the amount, and an FET to buy condo etc. your Thai bank will give you the swift codes etc .

Send the money as $AU, dont let oz bank exchange it as the rate is always lower, and needs to be foreign money to get FET.

Transfer-wise and similar will give you a marginally better exchange rate and variable fees and no FET.

(maybe 20k-30k more in your account than swift)

You appear to be buying a condo (otherwise why bring so much when the ex rate is down) so you will need the FET that only the banks can provide, so you limited to a swift transfer.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Changbeer4me said:

Thanks Hernyford for the promt infomative reply.

I would get the Statement from My Thai Bank correct

is it a matter of asking for the statement or is there a form 

required.

Regards

Martin

Its not just a bank statement, its a document called a Foreign Exchange Transaction (FET), shows that the money came from outside Thailand in a foreign currency. Its a requirement to buy a foreign title condo.

All the above are good tips, but watch out for the exchange rates, aussie banks are notorious for giving bad exchange rates when converting for AUD to any other currencies, shop around for good rates as a few satangs or cents can mean a big difference in the outcome...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Swift transfers are very easy nowadays, you can do it on your banking app on your phone, literally comes overnight, usually a flat fee (around $20) no matter what the amount, and an FET to buy condo etc. your Thai bank will give you the swift codes etc .

Send the money as $AU, dont let oz bank exchange it as the rate is always lower, and needs to be foreign money to get FET.

Transfer-wise and similar will give you a marginally better exchange rate and variable fees and no FET.

(maybe 20k-30k more in your account than swift)

You appear to be buying a condo (otherwise why bring so much when the ex rate is down) so you will need the FET that only the banks can provide, so you limited to a swift transfer.

Bringing over for Retirement and set up life in Thailand

Turn 60 late October waiting fir money to be relaesed

from My Super then send over.

Want to get by with a motorbike but Mrs wants a car

will get visa's sorted first.  Buy a bike and see.

Have both Thai car and bike liecesne and bank already.

Thanks again to All for the advice.

Regards

Changbeer4me

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

All the above are good tips, but watch out for the exchange rates, aussie banks are notorious for giving bad exchange rates when converting for AUD to any other currencies, shop around for good rates as a few satangs or cents can mean a big difference in the outcome...

watch out for the exchange rates, aussie banks are notorious for giving bad exchange rates

Send Aussie dollars to Thailand, why on earth would you send anything else.

All the Thai banks convert to Thai Baht.

Make sure to send in Aud.not THB .

if you send aud, you get in average 2-3 baht more per dollar.

you will be hit with fees from both banks .

many suggest transfer wise, I have not used it.

another, I feel better option is to open foreign currency account and transfer aud. Fees are less , can change in days of better exchange rates and can also ask bank for better rate 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BestB said:

(snip)

another, I feel better option is to open foreign currency account and transfer aud. Fees are less , can change in days of better exchange rates and can also ask bank for better rate 

If you do this can you still get a FET when you eventually change it to THB?

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

you will be hit with fees from both banks .

I am with BKK bank and have never had fees from them for an incoming swift transfer, it comes into my account at whatever the daily TT rate is. besides the Australian bank fee, no fees at this end.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Changbeer4me said:

Bringing over for Retirement and set up life in Thailand

Turn 60 late October waiting fir money to be relaesed

from My Super then send over.

Want to get by with a motorbike but Mrs wants a car

will get visa's sorted first.  Buy a bike and see.

Have both Thai car and bike liecesne and bank already.

Thanks again to All for the advice.

Regards

Changbeer4me

Two wheels bad.    Four wheels good.

You have a better chance of survival when rear-ended if you're in a car.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I am with BKK bank and have never had fees from them for an incoming swift transfer, it comes into my account at whatever the daily TT rate is. besides the Australian bank fee, no fees at this end.

Thats exactly what my Aussie mate used to say, but when I pointed out the better rate and low charges of Transferwise he decided to give them a try....He wouldn't use anyone else now as already saved so much money.

Btw, my latest transfer to my BKK account on Monday took under 6 hours.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I am with BKK bank and have never had fees from them for an incoming swift transfer,

Then you must be pretty unique as I believe every Thai bank charges 0.25% (min 200, max 500 baht) for receiving incoming foreign funds (ex. ACH transfers from London and New York).

See top of page 2 of attached.

TransactionFees_En.pdf

from https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand

Edited by topt
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

You can convert here. Send in Aus dollars.

I use OFX for my transfers because of the better exchange rate. If you are bringing in a the amount you said call them for a quote as it will be slightly better than their website rate. The rate is then fixed no matter what the official exchange rate does. There are no fees above $10000 but Kasikorn charge 1500 baht for the transfer.

But as Peterw says you will not be able to get a FET because you bring in Thai baht, not a foreign currency.

6 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I use OFX for my transfers because of the better exchange rate. If you are bringing in a the amount you said call them for a quote as it will be slightly better than their website rate. The rate is then fixed no matter what the official exchange rate does. There are no fees above $10000 but Kasikorn charge 1500 baht for the transfer.

But as Peterw says you will not be able to get a FET because you bring in Thai baht, not a foreign currency.

Actually OFX customer rates are not as good as Transferwise rates.  Below are snapshot of OFX and Transferwise "customer" exchange rates as of 2 Oct 18/3pm Thailand time....that is, what you really get for an exchange rate.  

OFX "customer" rates are lower than the their "indicative" rates they show on their public webpage....OFX "indicative" rates are FX rates like shown on XE.com, but OFX customers do not get the FX rate as one does with Transferwise.  Beware of money transfer services that only show an "indicative" rate on their public web page and you can only find out the the actual rate you will get (i.e., customer rate) by getting a quote from them/becoming a customer....it's kinda like a worm-on-the-hook type advertising.

OFX Customer Rate as of 2 Oct 18/3pm

image.png.cc7a925e375c6dfd3c3611a59dafd828.png

Transferwise Customer Rate as of 2 Oct 18

image.png.2b3d7ddf16aa34e9b1c886945a362a9d.png

• Like 1

Leave it in your super and draw it as needed - your super should be getting you about 10% p.a. which is far more than you get in an Australian bank and even more still compared to Thai banks. Always send AUD  from Australian banks as their exchange rates are terrible. Look at using services such as OFX to get the best exchange rate.

• Like 2

I have very good experiences with some London foreign currency brookers, like Eiger.

Give   Peter Ashton [mailto:[email protected]  a message.

Peter Ashton |  Managing Director | Eiger FX

Web: www.eigerfx.co.uk  | Direct Line: +44 (0)207 426 1481 | Email: [email protected]

Registered Address: 22 Calvin Street, London, E1 6HF 

1 hour ago, VYCM said:

watch out for the exchange rates, aussie banks are notorious for giving bad exchange rates

Send Aussie dollars to Thailand, why on earth would you send anything else.

All the Thai banks convert to Thai Baht.

But what is the Exchange rate when Thai banks convert the money? I bet it is a crap rate.