Punched in the Face: Plunge in Chinese Tourists Rattles Thailand

webfact

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

<sarcasm mode>

Are they using the Chinese equivalent of Airbnb - is it approved for use in Thailand?

I do hope they're paying withholding tax on the rental income. Yes, I'm sure they are.

</sarcasm mode>

And when they do buy they try and wriggle  out of  paying the agents  commission in many cases. Thai landlords dont want Chinese ( dirty) she tells  me, many agents wont deal with them but there is a big increase now in Chinese agents.

2 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

they're probably most concerned about chinese visitors who flock to king power. as for the temple-pissing kind, they'd be happy to clobber them on the spot. 

So they're the ones supporting King Power financially.

And I thought 'gullible' had been removed from the dictionary.

51 minutes ago, mok199 said:

actions have consequences...Thailands '' Professionals'',Methed up tour bus operators belligernat boat operators ,raged out taxi operators , out of control security guards etc etc, must be trained better and paid a fair wage...Toursits need to be treated professionaly and with respect ,regardless......

I worked with the Japanese for over 10 years before retiring to Thailand. So many of their concepts would help Thailand improve their service industry: "continuous improvement", "total quality management," "having the customer in your heart", "building long term relationships with customers."

I suspect that for the Chinese, who have also adopted many of these service principles, the lack of commitment to customer service and satisfaction sometimes encountered here can fall strikingly short of expectations as well.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I wonder how the numbers are for western tourists. Have they also dropped?

I would say the official figures are up or at least the same, however anyone in a tourist destination will know that is not the reality. Business owners Thai and Foreign are aware that Westerners are not coming in such large numbers and the ones that are on a limited budget. 

57 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

ridiculous statement trying to blame one person  for drop in Chinese tourism, typical Thai not facing up to their problems, this incident only happened a few days ago, one does not book a holiday and go 3 days later, the writing has been on the wall for some time,  wow one man can bring a country down, just because of a slap,, he he

Yes the typical shortsightedness

Not sure why people are getting all het up by the Chinese.  Yes of course they can be annoying wondering around in droves following the umbrella.  But what about the Indians too ? They too walk around in groups, or at least the men do in Pattaya.  However putting things into  perspective the Chinese have been coming to Thailand for centuries.  Many Thais today are 2nd or 3rd Generation Chinese. The richest family in Thailand is indeed half Chinese so it is hardly a new phenomenon.

Or is it that maybe those TV members living around Pattaya are the ones most concerned by the influx of the Chinese tourist hoards ?

TAT is another issue as they will always lie through their front teeth as the most senior people within that quango are members of the Elite so hence, as someone has already mentioned, it is they who could be losing out,  not Thailand in general. And yes over recent times there is a feeling in some quaters that there a push to dissuade Westerners from coming here,  but is that really the case ?  20 years ago it was not a lot different except for the exchange rate was better and by comparison Westerners were better off then.  Remember since 2008 there has been a lot of austerity measures in the West which impacts the amount of cash the average "Joe Soaps" have for long haul flights to Thailand.

Hello

This week is the "golden week"... I noticed yesterday around 10 o clock morning there were no buses parked on Thappraya Road Jomtien, when it used to be filled with dozens of buses..

Also I feel there are not a lot of people in the streets..

Do others notice the same ?? or do I have the wrong idea ?

Have a nice day

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

i am baffled. as to where they do spend their money

At the airport right before they go home i've seen large groups opening their suitcases and running around to fill them. They buy any souvenhir and run like it was for free.

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

the Russian city called JOMTIEN has been devoid of Russians for  months HOORAY !! and at last the Chinese can see further than their noses, better and more welcoming places  (and cheaper) than Thailand to visit and spend their hard earned money, ( well they must spend it somewhere, but i have never seen them spending it) they arrive here get herded around like cattle, only go into Chinese owned establishments, i am baffled. as to where they do spend their money

When I stayed at the Mövenpick hotel in Jomtien a year or so ago, the place was full of Chinese tourists spending money.

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

the Russian city called JOMTIEN has been devoid of Russians for  months HOORAY !! and at last the Chinese can see further than their noses, better and more welcoming places  (and cheaper) than Thailand to visit and spend their hard earned money, ( well they must spend it somewhere, but i have never seen them spending it) they arrive here get herded around like cattle, only go into Chinese owned establishments, i am baffled. as to where they do spend their money

On a recent trip to Cambodia (Siem Reap) I had an interesting conversation with the Khmer owner of my regular hotel and discovered that the Chinese "package" tourists are decreasing (as in Thailand) BUT there is an increase in more discerning Chinese tourists who make their own arrangements and travel independently - especially as families (mum, dad, kids). I am no fan of the Chinese but two families staying at the hotel were very pleasant and could speak some English. The room rate was US$50 per night including breakfast and their sightseeing trips were booked by hotel reception using official (registered) Khmer tour guides and tuk-tuk drivers.  The hotel manager was more than happy to have these Chinese as guests.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davehowden said:

"Chinese tourist arrivals in Thailand are tumbling, "

Every cloud has a silver lining!

High time to start an offensive to get more tourists from the west.

And I do think the expats living in Thailand bring in a huge amount of money.

Maybe cultivate that segment?

Anyway, lessening the ties with China would be a very good thing.

Everything China does is strategic.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

I would say the official figures are up or at least the same, however anyone in a tourist destination will know that is not the reality. Business owners Thai and Foreign are aware that Westerners are not coming in such large numbers and the ones that are on a limited budget. 

No one coming at present called the low season boys, it will not pick up till November.

Had the privilege of speaking to a few front line personal at swamy a few years back and even then they wished the Chinese tourist would stay home or go some place else , I gathered then it was for tourism political motivated opportunity, they are moaning at CM they don't spend and in some cases they've made a business out of on selling there own acquired accommodation, circumventing normal channels. 

Edited by chainarong

We have a little Resort and many Friends in the Hotel/Villa Rental business and they are saying that their bookings for the last month or so are very down.  Unlike some on this forum who do not quantify their comments, apart from snide remarks, I feel there are many factors affecting the drop in Tourism.  Thailand dropped the ball big time with the over turned boat in Phuket by saying it was a Chinese enterprise and was the Chinese fault, instead of holding up their hand and saying it was a big error of judgement by the Thai Boat Captain.  The punch in the face saga will also not help.  Europe has also experienced probably it's hottest and longest hot Summer for many a year and quite a lot of people who would normally come to warmer climes have decided to do a "Stacation" which of course would be much less expensive.  I suspect that TAT has also not been getting out to promote Thailand and assuming that Tourist will "just arrive".  They need to take note that Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar are now competing strongly against the Thia Tourist Market.  TAT, you need to get out and about and start hussling big time otherwise your market share will continue to drop.

• Like 1

We have a little Resort and many Friends in the Hotel/Villa Rental business and they are saying that their bookings for the last month or so are very down.  Unlike some on this forum who do not quantify their comments, apart from snide remarks, I feel there are many factors affecting the drop in Tourism.  Thailand dropped the ball big time with the over turned boat in Phuket by saying it was a Chinese enterprise and was the Chinese fault, instead of holding up their hand and saying it was a big error of judgement by the Thai Boat Captain.  The punch in the face saga will also not help.  Europe has also experienced probably it's hottest and longest hot Summer for many a year and quite a lot of people who would normally come to warmer climes have decided to do a "Stacation" which of course would be much less expensive.  I suspect that TAT has also not been getting out to promote Thailand and assuming that Tourist will "just arrive".  They need to take note that Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar are now competing strongly against the Thia Tourist Market.  TAT, you need to get out and about and start hussling big time otherwise your market share will continue to drop.

Oh no,Thailand no longer in the hands of elderly Caucasian whingers! I I suspect it will get worse once the pound drops below 40THB????

Chinese tourism to Thailand is most likely an unstoppable and very positive future force.

While there is a current drop due to various economic reasons, the most compelling being the depreciating Yuan, it is very much a short term effect and the big neighbor to the north will continue to drive Thailand's tourism performance over the years to come.

Never mind the pathetic Muay Thai antics of one security staff or tragic boat accidents.

What really is happening fast is a shift from tour groups to independent travel by Chinese nationals.

So if your got your money on a never ending increase of tour groups and associated businesses, you are in a bit of a trouble now.

As all get rich quick schemes they are doomed to fail and only a selected lucky few will make it.

Chinese travelers start to realize they they are getting ripped of by these tours and all services associated with it. Chinese media has reported on it and people smarten up. There will be a huge move to independent travel, just as very few Europeans arrive on packaged bus tour groups to Thailand these days.

These travelers will spend more money, have a far better travel experience and will contribute more to the overall tourism industry.

Shitty tour operators, low quality tour hotels and restaurants and rip off retail operations are in for a rough ride and it is already happening.

However Thailand will always be a unique and fantastic value for money destination. Unbeatable in South East Asia for the foreseeable future.

I recommend the doomsday prophets to pick up a bit of Mandarin Chinese, so they can communicate with the aliens, who so irritate them. But since most of the grumpy keyboard heros probably still say " Song Sip" after many years if not decades in their adopted home country, it is a difficult task????