Koh Tao rape claim dismissed by Thai police, citing lack of evidence and no DNA

webfact

Just now, poanoi said:

looks like i mistook it for another case of lies, see 2 posts above

Glad you're able to keep your misplaced conclusion, without having any idea of what factual information may exist to prove or disprove the woman's claim.

Because what the Thai police say in their public statements, and what's actually the truth, may or may not be the same things, as a long history of evidence in other cases shows.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Why there are 6 officers to deliver a simple statement ?

How many of the foreign press and media reps were there?

What type of questions were asked? 

If any , where are the answers? 

If you look at the following article written by Associated Press which appeared in a U.S. publication earlier today, it shows a photo of the t-shirt itself being displayed on a screen during the press conference.  What's curious is that there are several red rings marked on the t-shirt.  So, if there were no traces of semen and/or DNA on the t-shirt, what do these represent?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/article220085355.html?fbclid=IwAR1l3rEeQk6JoxI64jeuEmqCHNwXdZbqCs8hNvptaZHhKzQybwIw6nzzw_Q

894966802_KohTaorapecasepressconference.JPG.2240410eaeb05cb9d3f0fd8989a6bbf6.JPG

35 minutes ago, cass74 said:

The UK police and FO have been totally done by the Thai police.  Probably had guarantees the case was being took seriously and the DNA would be tested

No, I don't think they're so stupid; I'd be worried if they were. Probably a case of what happens in Thailand, stays in Thailand. Anyway, the Thais must've been very confident, to make the trip; not like we're the main cargo anymore, and worth taking a risk over, just flotsam and jetsam that turns up on the shore. I'd also be very surprised if this rape claim wasn't properly assessed? Given the current "me too" climate, and police being hold accountable for past failures. There'll be a paper trail on this, I'm sure. Just my reading; I could be totally wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Why there are 6 officers to deliver a simple statement ?

How many of the foreign press and media reps were there?

What type of questions were asked? 

If any , where are the answers? 

One could say that they do look a tad threatening don't you think ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

One could say that they do look a tad threatening don't you think ?

you could twist many things to suit a narrative as proved here many times....or just admit that things may not be quite how you were lead to believe by a certain news page and their hate campaign!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

It's well past time that visitors, any visitors, stopped going to Koh Tao

Yes you could start an international campaign, as the one guy noted on here, that the snorkeling ain't all that good.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Haha 2

I think if it was my daughter I would insist that the MET carried out a polygraph test. The MET? Are they the London Metropolitan division of the Royal Thai Police? Might as well be. 

Edited by Nip
Spelling
  • Sad 1

Police dismiss Koh Tao rape case after finding no evidence

44154344_694577557564759_1652207080490139648_n.jpg

BANGKOK, 17th October 2018 (NNT) – Thai police have ended their investigation of a British tourist’s claim that she was raped on a visit to Koh Tao in Southern Thailand after no supporting evidence could be obtained. 

After police conducted a probe into the rape allegation lodged by a British tourist following her trip to Koh Tao in Surat Thani province in June this year, National Police Chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda today joined Acting Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal and related officers in a press conference to declare the closure of the case. 

Pol Gen Chakthip confirmed that, following the alleged incident, officers were immediately sent to inspect the scene on Koh Tao but were unable to find any evidence that suggested the occurrence of the crime. 

Investigators were then sent to the United Kingdom in order to question the claimant about the incident in person. However, she could neither provide clear information on the site of the crime nor the appearance of the attacker. Moreover, an inspection of the t-shirt she was wearing on the day did not find any traces of semen, only the DNA of a man and a woman who had no connection with the incident. 

Given the lack of evidence and witnesses, the police have agreed that the rape allegation should be put to rest until any evidence turns up. Despite the case’s termination, no countersuit will be filed by the Thai police while the British tourist will not be blacklisted by Thailand.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-17

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

I wonder if there was any investigation back in the UK by the British police

How did the Thais get the T-shirt, has it already been tested by UK authorities?

She said there was evidence there, was this just a guess or has it been confirmed with a laboratory?

That's what was going through my mind also ... where are the Scotland Yard Lab boys ?

12 hours ago, IslandLover said:

If you look at the following article written by Associated Press which appeared in a U.S. publication earlier today, it shows a photo of the t-shirt itself being displayed on a screen during the press conference.  What's curious is that there are several red rings marked on the t-shirt.  So, if there were no traces of semen and/or DNA on the t-shirt, what do these represent?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/article220085355.html?fbclid=IwAR1l3rEeQk6JoxI64jeuEmqCHNwXdZbqCs8hNvptaZHhKzQybwIw6nzzw_Q

894966802_KohTaorapecasepressconference.JPG.2240410eaeb05cb9d3f0fd8989a6bbf6.JPG

The original post stated that they found traces of a woman's DNA and a man - but no "semen".
"forensic tests found the DNA of a woman and a man but no trace of the attacker’s semen, as she claimed."

18 minutes ago, rgraham said:

Happy to see a solution that saved the lives of a few innocent Burmese men.

The was she, wasn't she argument can rage on, as no doubt it will with bar stool barristers from either side throwing in different views, my personal view in this particular case was that something untoward happened that night and whatever it was will remain forever as another unresolved. The Thai response is a big about turn for them and they have never mentioned the main thing that for me was central to this case, what happened to her phone and personal effects that were accepted as reported stolen? To close this out, once and for all it would be nice to know where that phone surfaces. All being said though your response is possibly the best that could ever have come out of this event whichever way it went with the only other positive being that now you can report a crime in any district and not just in the district that it occurred.