Why are expats so bad in Thai?

FritsSikkink

I get a kick out of guys pulling the superior attitude "I've been coming here longer than you," implying they have an understanding of the place that you will never have, and then you realize they can't even count to 10 in the local language.

Worst places for this bs I've come across in my travels are Bkk/Pattaya and Rio de Janeiro.

Once was having a few drinks with this US fellow I ran into, a few others joined us, and every time someone else joined us he would bring up the subject of how long he was "coming here," and each time the number grew larger.  At one point I asked "did your parents bring you here when you were a kid?"  He looked puzzled, then said no.  I then asked if he was over 60 (I knew he wasn't) because if he had been coming here for as long as he said...

He sure shut his trap right quick.

• Like 2

have a friend who has lived here quite a few years, cannot speak Thai worth zilch,

when I ask why he says:

not interested - can't be bothered - for what I am doing in LoS command of Thai is not required

(wife is fluent in English - and Japanese)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

I've noted this also and IMHO you have hit the nail on the head: laziness, a feeling of superiority etc.

Superiority; I came across a guy from Utah 20 years ago in Bkk, he had already been here some 15 years, he was then an older man, a doctor of medicine who had inherited wealth, retired and came to Thailand to live, he was arrogant, superior and rude to everybody, all day.

He died about 5 years back. In all that time he had not learned even very simple Thai, couldn't count 1 to 10 in Thai, didn't know the days of the week in Thai, and he stubbornly refused to learn or listen to anything let alone learn Thai language.  

A couple of times I got into Bkk taxis with him, he would yell the destination in copious complex English to the driver then abuse driver when he didn't understand. The second time I witnessed him doing this I got out and walked away and avoided him thenceforth.

He did the same in restaurants, make an order (in English) then 2 minutes later change the order, then explain something about dish two must come to the table no later than 5 to 6 minutes later than dish 1, etc.

Then when it all went wrong he would eat everything and refuse to pay the bill and he was a big guy and somewhat intimidating. 

He was a gay man, he started relationships again and again with young Thai men who spoke zero English and it would quickly turn into abuse because the new bf didn't understand English and the American spoke zero Thai.

His comment was always 'why should I learn Thai, these people should all learn English'.

He was found dead on the floor after falling down the stairs drunk. He had told an American acquaintance earlier that he had a brother in Utah but they had not spoken for decades. The police and embassy officials couldn't find a will nor any cash or bankbooks etc.

The embassy found a phone number for the brother in Utah, called him but the response was "I got tired of his arrogance and abuse years ago, I don't want to be involved in any way and I'm certainly not going to send any funds to pay for his funeral etc., and please don't call me again".

An attempt to get some donations for a simple funeral produced zero Baht, he was eventually given a paupers cremation.

This is just someone who was mad at the world as you noted "everyone" and that included his family really has nothing to do to why he didn't want to learn Thai.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The main thing I think is the "tone" our Western ears are not tuned in to those subtle tones that are required and are hard for us to reproduce them too because its so different, add age in the mix, teaching an old dog new tricks etc and it aint easy beyond basics thats for sure. 

Those of us that are married I think put more effort into teaching our partner our language ????.

Absolutely right, in addition Thai is not related to the european languages   and if you simply learned the words and then try to structure a sentence the same way you would in English, you would make litle sense. For instance in english you would say the red car. same in Greek "to cokino autokinito or in italian " La machina  rossa . different words but same structure   But in Thai you would not say "the red car" but rather "the car red"  (rot si dang)  I know the words but I have trouble with the sequence.   Next year when I retire and have more time in Thailand I plan to  take lessons and hopefully crack the code.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blazes said:

Certainly English is, bar none, the easiest language to learn, especially since you don't have to worry about the gender of nouns and very few problems in the verb area.  And no matter how bad your pronunciation of English, both natives AND foreigners will understand what you are trying to say. 

I mean, here in LoS, it is not uncommon to hear a Korean and, say, a Japanese converse with each other in English.

If the Thais would transliterate their impossible script into "Western" letters, more of us would, I think, take the trouble to learn a bit more than we do.

They did that in Vietnam, does not help at all. For example this is the name of a village, "My Lai" How do you think it is pronounced? 

Another example, "thanks" Cam On, the "C" is more like a "G" to my ears.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

If you learn Spanish, Russian or English then you have gained a lanhuage used in multiple countries. Learn Thai and its not much use globally, plus its difficult.

you should add French and Arabic to that list