Why are expats so bad in Thai?

FritsSikkink

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The main thing I think is the "tone" our Western ears are not tuned in to those subtle tones that are required and are hard for us to reproduce them too because its so different, add age in the mix, teaching an old dog new tricks etc and it aint easy beyond basics thats for sure. 

Those of us that are married I think put more effort into teaching our partner our language ????.

Spot on.  Chinese with 4 tones is bad enough but Thai has 5.

• Like 1

I would love to speak Thai better, I even went to a language school, BUT I have always had a poor short & long term memory which has plagued me all my life. Compared to English it's like the Thai language is backwards like: instead of saying "Go Here", they say "Here Go", which is quite confusing for me.???? 

10 minutes ago, Denim said:

Fair enough but Thai expats tend to live in Thailand.

My local noodle does not speak any of the more useful languages you mention.

Real expats tend to live in many countries.

For example, I am a member of Internations the biggest international expat community.

14 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Most of my Thai friends insist I speak English as they want to learn the language when you ask them to teach you Thai they make an excuse and disappear 

and here is the real truth of it.

It happens just about everywhere we teach English.

4 minutes ago, waders123 said:

There are many different reasons for not learning a language.  When I first came to Thailand, I knew I really liked the country and the people.  I decided I should learn the language and be more informed and respectful.  I bought all the latest and greatest PC courses and then later paid a Thai tutor.  To make a long story short, I am tone deaf and being tone deaf it is with a high probability that you are NOT going to be proficient in speaking Thai.  Unfortunately, that was my situation; I didn't get the tones and kept saying the words incorrectly.  My Thai tutor said he was sorry but believed I would never speak Thai with any proficiency and I should let it go and get on with life.  

So saying that everybody that comes to Thailand is lazy, indifferent, or maybe feels superior to Thais is NOT a factual statement.  Saying that is just adding another stereotyping statement.  People really should be more informed before making somewhat cruel and derogatory "blanket statements" on here. 

Not everyone walks in the same shoes folks!  

right some even walk barefooted, anyway - point taken

now, with a population close to 70 000 000 there probably is a fair number of Thais that are tone deaf or close to

how is their Thai? off or ok?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, balo said:

Because Thai is a terrible language to learn , and believe me , I have tried.  And also a different alphabet with weird symbols.  

If I had moved to Spain instead and lived there for some years I would have been able to communicate in Spanish in no time. 

I speak a little German, French , and my native language is Norwegian. Which means I can understand and read English, German, French, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish. 

But I have given up on Thai , yes I can order a simple dish and I can count to 100 . Nit noi.

The most important factor is "necessity" ....before settling in Thailand I worked and lived in Pakistan, China, Sweden, Germany and Vietnam : in everyone of those countries I learned to speak the local language fluently...but here I got retired and married to a Thai wife and she is doing the communications in Thai for me. Also I cannot pick up a language from street talks and I need to go to school...but the nearest Thai language school is 2 hours drive from my house.

58 minutes ago, blazes said:

Certainly English is, bar none, the easiest language to learn, especially since you don't have to worry about the gender of nouns and very few problems in the verb area.  And no matter how bad your pronunciation of English, both natives AND foreigners will understand what you are trying to say. 

I mean, here in LoS, it is not uncommon to hear a Korean and, say, a Japanese converse with each other in English.

If the Thais would transliterate their impossible script into "Western" letters, more of us would, I think, take the trouble to learn a bit more than we do.

Sorry I don't agree with your first paragraph, English is a very complex language.

English is a lot more complex than easy pronunciation.

"here in LoS, it is not uncommon to hear a Korean and, say, a Japanese converse with each other in English.   Well that's just a statement of the obvious, they revert to a common language if they don't speak Japanese / Korean, but what you miss is that very few Japanese speak advanced or even intermediate English, Koreans perhaps a little better picture of English.

Look around you can find some books and 'dictionaries' with Thai words and phrases written using the English alphabet but without any tone indicators.

And why should Thailand or any country abandon it's cultural history of it's language. On the other hand the Chinese make up the biggest total numbers by population, so why not advocate that everybody should learn Chinese characters?

• Like 2

Because i can't read the Thai letters and can't speak in different tones....Indonesian is much easyier for me since they use our alphabet.

Also i don't care to speak to Thai since i can choose where i buy my stuff and only go to places where they can speak english or where i don't have to speak at all. I shop a lot in Singapore and don't care if it's more expensive overthere.

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Certainly English is, bar none, the easiest language to learn, especially since you don't have to worry about the gender of nouns and very few problems in the verb area.  And no matter how bad your pronunciation of English, both natives AND foreigners will understand what you are trying to say. 

I mean, here in LoS, it is not uncommon to hear a Korean and, say, a Japanese converse with each other in English.

If the Thais would transliterate their impossible script into "Western" letters, more of us would, I think, take the trouble to learn a bit more than we do.

There is English, and then there is English.

I disagree. This is why most foreign (EU) people who think they can speak English are actually terrible at all the finer points.

English is an incredibly diverse language, full of nuance and best of all, the ability to say something without actually saying it: sarcasm (especially) confounds (and frustrates) every foreign speaker I have met - no matter their status in life.

Don't want to even start talking about comedy, or sense of humor...

• Like 1